Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:02 PM

458 posts, read 656,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Maybe it's mostly the South Hills that's anti-donut. There's not much in the way of donuts here outside of supermarkets. But honestly, even meetings I've been to in the city - no donuts.
In my eyes, there is a huge health conscience movement in this region. More and more people running in the marathon and races in general. If I'm correct, this may have more to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
There's a DD on Brownsville Rd., and another on Rt 51, less than a mile away, plus another donut shop on Brownsville, across from Long John Silver's. You're not looking hard enough. Plus every convenience store has donuts as well. I miss Jenny Lee though. I loved their glazed, as well as their lemon meringue pies and tarts.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Overall, I think shops like "Dozen" and so on don't have lasting power. There is a market for things like that here, but not a big enough market for staying power. My wife and I were in Gaby Et Jules in Squirrel Hill yesterday. Definitely some delectable looking desserts,and you can watch the bakers through the glass in the back. But I'll give them a year and will be surprised if they are still there. The desserts are in my opinion, very expensive.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
In my eyes, there is a huge health conscience movement in this region. More and more people running in the marathon and races in general. If I'm correct, this may have more to do with it.
IMO, the only huge health conscience issue here is the UPMC vs. Highmark vs. Obamacare and where to put your money. Yes, there are some new healthier places that have opened, but they're the minority and generally in specific wealthier business districts. With all the other new places that have opened up in the past five years serving unhealthy crap, it just seems odd that donuts are the odd man out.

Wings are everywhere. I'm sometimes surprised I can't get wings in Walgreens :-)

I'm not saying there aren't donuts here, but nothing near the concentration I'm used to back east or in many other major metros. Maybe Pittsburgh is just on the leading edge of Paleo without knowing about it.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Maybe Pittsburgh is just on the leading edge of Paleo without knowing about it.
Are potatoes paleo? Because if not, I've got some perogie and a salad with fries as a rebuttal.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I had a Napoleon/millefeuilles there and was disappointed. They used whipped cream instead of crème pâtissière, as well as a crunchy pastry in place of regular puff pastry. I was not a fan. If it had been wonderful, I wouldn't've minded paying $6. But it wasn't. I am not rushing back.

Also, they didn't have a table and chairs where you could sit for a minute and eat your pastry. We ended up sitting on one of the benches on Forbes Avenue.
Like I said, I give them a year, maybe not even that.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:16 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
IMO, the only huge health conscience issue here is the UPMC vs. Highmark vs. Obamacare and where to put your money. Yes, there are some new healthier places that have opened, but they're the minority and generally in specific wealthier business districts. With all the other new places that have opened up in the past five years serving unhealthy crap, it just seems odd that donuts are the odd man out.

Wings are everywhere. I'm sometimes surprised I can't get wings in Walgreens :-)

I'm not saying there aren't donuts here, but nothing near the concentration I'm used to back east or in many other major metros. Maybe Pittsburgh is just on the leading edge of Paleo without knowing about it.
Theres plenty of donut shops/eaters. You live too much in the past of where you used to live. You should go back "in the day" there or get "in the game" here.

Now get this pizza thing going. Can always use another pizza shop.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-18-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 01:19 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Better-Maid Donut Co - Crafton Heights - Pittsburgh, PA | Yelp

/drool

Go very early in the morning. They open and sell what they've got, then close for the day. They go fast.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Better-Maid Donut Co - Crafton Heights - Pittsburgh, PA | Yelp

/drool

Go very early in the morning. They open and sell what they've got, then close for the day. They go fast.
This place was featured on a WQED Pittsburgh special. It looks like it's mobbed with business no matter how early in the day and the donuts are often gone by 6am. But the donuts they offer are what Pittsburgh wants, obviously good tasting and a good value.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
This place was featured on a WQED Pittsburgh special. It looks like it's mobbed with business no matter how early in the day and the donuts are often gone by 6am. But the donuts they offer are what Pittsburgh wants, obviously good tasting and a good value.
That's the West End one I was referencing in the OP. I guess that's what I don't understand. That place appears to do huge business yet there aren't similar places elsewhere in the region - or far fewer than it would seem the market could support. It's odd in any market with any product where you've got one place with lines out the door and no imitators trying to cash in on that popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh