Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

Weird. I always escape trouble somehow. I had very slow traffic but that's it.

The temp is cold and getting colder so the treatments will be less effective than if it were 30 degrees out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Still have my snows from when I lived up on Mt Washington and felt like I was gonna die every time I ventured out.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
People on this forum scoff at the idea of snow tires, yet I saw 4 SUV's lose control this morning while I just coasted along in my little 4 cylinder with some Blizzaks.....
I am with you here and with all of the snow we have had in Erie this year I finally broke down and got a set of the Michelin X-Ice tires and they are awesome. I also have the tire chains in the trunk in case things get really bad. It is nice getting very good traction on snow covered roads while still enjoying the gas mileage of my Honda Civic. It is funny though I love the looks I get when the roads are terrible and I keep chugging along with the chains.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
AWD will only help for acceleration and will not help with traction like snow tires would.
Thanks for the advice. I've only had regular tires in CA and used chains if we went to Tahoe to ski and the road conditions were bad. I work from home but I'm going to be going on a lot of appointments for one of my clients. I'm going to wait and see how much driving I'm actually doing in bad conditions before I decide if I should invest in snow tires. How are they for driving when the roads are clear? I imagine you leave them on all winter, right?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
How are they for driving when the roads are clear? I imagine you leave them on all winter, right?
A little more "mushy" feel and probably slightly worse gas mileage than my regular tires.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
A little more "mushy" feel and probably slightly worse gas mileage than my regular tires.
Yeah, the handling on the winter tires is not so nice generally, at least the ones that are best in snow. There are some performance oriented winter tires as well, but I found those unnecessary.

The way to get really good snow performance is to minus size from the OEM. To do this you need to get a second set of wheels in the smaller size, but the benefit in addition to better snow performance is you don't have to have tires mounted and balanced twice a year. Instead you just swap them like you were changing a flat, which you can do yourself if so inclined. For example my OEM tires and wheels are 15" and I got 14" snow tires on some cheap steel wheels from Tire Rack. When ordered as a package they come already mounted and I was able to put them on the car myself that night. The taller, narrower tires were better in the snow. On the dry, they were noisier and didn't handle as crisply.

It's a tough call. I enjoyed having the real snow tires when I had them, but after they wore out I did not get another set.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
If I buy snow tires now, then we're guaranteed to not have any more snow this winter.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
AWD will only help for acceleration and will not help with traction like snow tires would.
That isn't exactly true. AWD can also help in control on a downhill. They are amazingly good at steering. I have a 6sp Manual and can use that downshifting for certain situations. When encountering ice like that video posted, ALL vehicles are sunk. It is best to have a very light vehicle as you can clearly see how fast that giant SUV is accelerating just from all that weight. Luckily for them, they hit a car early in that ride. If they kept going, it would have been flying.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
What do people do on those really steep hills in Beechview? Are they stuck in their houses until the roads are treated?
When I lived up on a steep hill in the city the veterans of the area would simply keep an eye on the weather forecast and if there was a chance of such weather, they would park at the bottom of the hill on a side street. Then they would just walk down and go to work. Just some planning. It isn't all that often we have crazy weather. Just be smart about it.

To Aqua. I agree that Blizzaks are great tires. When I had a Jaguar VDP with limited slip in the rear, and Blizzaks, it would go crazy good in the snow. It was so much fun to fly up hills with that tank. I had some sand bags in the trunk as well. It was better than FWD.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
If I buy snow tires now, then we're guaranteed to not have any more snow this winter.
What can you do to keep the temperatures higher than freezing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh