Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:17 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Monongahela Tower - hideous. i hope it never happens.

One Grandview - where do you sign up? i love it. perhaps its having to be scaled down might be a good thing, though.

i dont know what i think about Oxford's concept. sure, in a rendering, they look new, beautiful, gleaming...but at street level, the building surface gets dirty, you feel crammed onto the sidewalk when there is not a plaza, or at least steps (like at EQT, a building i totally love).

i think the Oxford Center is horrendous - it is empty in the evenings and on weekends. the immediate areas around it are dark and dirty. FREAKIN' DO SOMETHING WITH THIS BUILDING AND ITS SPACE!!!!! couldnt there be a club in there or something? i realize its location isnt optimal, but maybe youd bring people into town if they have adjacent parking and a different vibe than in the much busier liberty/penn corridors.
The Rivers Club is located in One Oxford Center. If your into jazz, and decent food it a nice spot.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM

273 posts, read 348,531 times
I haven't seen any of the proposals for the new towers, but I have been thinking quite a bit about the beautiful skyline that Pittsburgh has. Not only is the city blessed in many ways by its geography between three rivers and in ruggedly-rolling mountains, but the buildings get higher, more or less, as they go back from the Point. I just hope that new skyscrapers fit into the current pattern and don't break that slope. It would be awful if they put a tall one way out in front of the lower ones.

Want to see the worst butt-ugly quasi-sky scraper f*ck up? We're looking at you, Baltimore:

Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
It's completely insane to me that RiverParc is still collecting dust right now. Bone heads.
Every time stuff like this comes up I think about how bone-headed it is. Plus, I drive down Ft Duquesne Blvd every evening and think about what a waste that is....

Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post

Want to see the worst butt-ugly quasi-sky scraper f*ck up? We're looking at you, Baltimore:

bite your tongue! I love the inner Harbor and Little Italy! DC/baltimore radio blows away this market! i mean, Rob Ford is a weekly guest on a DC talk show!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
That skyscraper in Baltimore had to have been built in the 1970's. If there's one thing about architecture in the 1970's, it's that projects were either spectacular or hideous, with little in between.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
One Grandview is going to happen about as fast as the Cozza building a few blocks down the street. "Coming in Spring 2008!"

Old 01-29-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
bite your tongue! I love the inner Harbor and Little Italy! DC/baltimore radio blows away this market! i mean, Rob Ford is a weekly guest on a DC talk show!
Is Baltimore's Little Italy in that hideous and out of place tower? I like Inner Harbor, too, which is why I'm bothered by that monstrosity.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The One Grandview project is almost assuredly going to be massively downscaled due to the developer's inability to secure financing crucial for the construction of the main edifice, which was supposed to house a top-tier hotel and high-end condos. Now the developer is planning several mid-rise market-rate "garden-styled" apartment buildings, which many in the city (including me) are VERY disappointed in. Yes, we have a rental shortage in Pittsburgh, but this prime piece of real estate deserved to house something much more aesthetically stunning.

I hope that Oxford does NOT advance plans for their skyscraper and instead focuses on rehabilitating and restoring the existing hitoric office structure on the site.
What I've noticed in a number of cities is a large amount of above street level space in buildings not being used. Changes should be made to encourage redevelopment of these upper floors into apartments and condos. Philly's Center City seems to be doing this...or maybe demand is so high that encouragement is not needed.

As an example, something like this.

New Hostel To Open Up On South Side « CBS Pittsburgh

Although that is for a hostel, but it is using upper story space not being used.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
What I've noticed in a number of cities is a large amount of above street level space in buildings not being used. Changes should be made to encourage redevelopment of these upper floors into apartments and condos. Philly's Center City seems to be doing this...or maybe demand is so high that encouragement is not needed.

As an example, something like this.

New Hostel To Open Up On South Side « CBS Pittsburgh

Although that is for a hostel, but it is using upper story space not being used.
I've wondered the same thing! In the old days, I think the merchants often lived above their stores. Today, it seems like the upper floors are always deader than dead.

I don't know how this happened in Pittsburgh, but I think I know in DC. Back in the 50s or so, the city leaders changed the zoning laws to try clean up what they saw as slums and squalor. For example, they no longer allowed food to be prepared for sale in markets within neighborhoods as opposed to on major streets. They were trying to stop the slaughter of animals and poor disposal of wastes in these areas. The unintended consequence was that they killed corner markets and restaurants and resulted in them becoming ghetto marts selling liquor and potato chips or liquor stores. They apparently also had some sort of rule forbidding spaces above certain businesses from being used as cheap housing because they thought it was inhumane for people to live above a butcher store. (They probably stuck them in high rises under a bridge instead.) DC's leaders are redoing these zoning rules now.

Perhaps something similar happened in Pittsburgh?

I also wonder if Pittsburgh uses its tax rate to encourage owners to use their properties or sell them by taxing them at a lower rate if they are in use and a higher if they are vacant or blighted?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,810 times
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...60444564,d.cWc

Not to be picky, but that rendering by GBBN for the Monongahela Tower is one of three finalists and not necessarily the winning design. I could be wrong, but have never saw any news stating otherwise. It may very well end up winning. It is a few years away nevertheless.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...60444564,d.cWc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh