Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times

Advertisements

I can't wait for the day when Tony Sirigusa becomes the new American role model for not only overeating, but for taking a dump in your diapers while you're eating so you don't even need to get up from the all-you-can-eat table. That day is just going to be fantastic! Maybe they'll be giving out extra liner pads at Golden Corral instead of napkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM

9,326 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
I do a decent amount of running in my spare time, usually about 15 miles a week. You wouldn't believe how many people in this area will say, "Oh, you shouldn't do that. That's not good for you," when you tell them about it. Even my own relatives will say this. I've even had nurses tell me that running is bad for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Some circles call this "fat logic" which is pretty much defined as using bunk science to justify unhealthy attitudes and behavior.
In fairness, running is hard on the knees and some people's lower bodies are especially poorly suited for it. Of course, the solution in such cases is to find another lower-impact exercise, not stop exercising entirely.

I might have to give up running for awhile, which is quite frustrating, given its high calorie-burning efficiency. Oh well, bike/elliptical/rowing machine it is. To be blessed with flat feet.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:28 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
In fairness, running is hard on the knees and some people's lower bodies are especially poorly suited for it. Of course, the solution in such cases is to find another lower-impact exercise, not stop exercising entirely.
Of course. However, when I often hear "[particular exercise] is bad" it's by people who don't exercise at all.

There's another variation of this that's "I will judge you depending on what exercise you do". Tell people that you lift weights and you're a meathead bro. Tell people you do yoga and you're feminine. Tell people you do P90X and you're a cult member. Tell people you do kettlebells and they'll just be confused as hell.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:40 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
I'm diabetic, and I have to know carb counts, which are more important that calories for me. After a while, you sort of learn what's what, after you spend enough time online looking things up. Google now replies if you search "carb count item name" It pops up on the side and you don't have to hunt around from site to site.

And some things surprise you. My go to drink when dining out is iced tea. Now since the advent of "sweet tea" I've had to make sure I state plain tea -- and I often get served sweet tea and yes -- I will send it back. Because, I was stunned to learn that sweet tea is WAY worse than soda. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't looked. I knew that sweet tea had sugar, and so had carbs, but I would have never thought it had more than Coke.

But as you keep track of food you can learn to eyeball stuff. The other thing? When you order out, divide your meal into two mentally, and take half of home with you. Portion sizes in restaurants are crazy, and even our dinnerware has increased in volume to handle what we want to eat.

My old dishes had broken and needed to be replaced. Old cereal bowls were 10 ounces. New cereal bowls are 22 ounces. No one needs to eat 22 ounces of cereal. But I'd bet you'd fill that cereal bowl without thinking. (I have to admit -- they are great for cooking oatmeal in the microwave -- there's no spillover)

I ended up buying Fiestaware stacking cereal bowls, at 8.5 ounces. No one carries them here -- I had to order them from Ohio. I like Fiestaware, but everyone in my family has it, so I wished I could find something different, but... no luck. (I also am trying to buy American made as much as possible, to keep Americans working)

Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

But as you keep track of food you can learn to eyeball stuff. The other thing? When you order out, divide your meal into two mentally, and take half of home with you. Portion sizes in restaurants are crazy, and even our dinnerware has increased in volume to handle what we want to eat.

My old dishes had broken and needed to be replaced. Old cereal bowls were 10 ounces. New cereal bowls are 22 ounces. No one needs to eat 22 ounces of cereal. But I'd bet you'd fill that cereal bowl without thinking. (I have to admit -- they are great for cooking oatmeal in the microwave -- there's no spillover)
that's definitely why measuring is so important. Like with your cereal example, a lot of people just dump it into the bowl, thinking that's one serving (130 calories or so.) When they actually measure it out they find they've been eating 3 servings at once. Pasta's like that, too.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-31-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
I ended up buying Fiestaware stacking cereal bowls, at 8.5 ounces. No one carries them here -- I had to order them from Ohio. I like Fiestaware, but everyone in my family has it, so I wished I could find something different, but... no luck. (I also am trying to buy American made as much as possible, to keep Americans working)
Another Fiesta fan here. Juniper is my color, plus other blues and greens. I use the 14 oz. and the 19 oz. bowls, but I don't fill them to the rim.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
And some things surprise you. My go to drink when dining out is iced tea. Now since the advent of "sweet tea" I've had to make sure I state plain tea -- and I often get served sweet tea and yes -- I will send it back. Because, I was stunned to learn that sweet tea is WAY worse than soda. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't looked. I knew that sweet tea had sugar, and so had carbs, but I would have never thought it had more than Coke.
Ah, sweet tea. It's not so much an advent as a spread. But yeah, traditionally in the south it's really damn sweet! Not surprised there's more sugar than a Coke. Even in the south though you can usually get both.

Quote:
I ended up buying Fiestaware stacking cereal bowls, at 8.5 ounces. No one carries them here -- I had to order them from Ohio.
Fiesta is made in West Virginia, in the Northern Panhandle just down the road from here. That's what we have at home too. I don't eat cereal though. I've gone through phases of it but really I've nixed cold cereal apart from once in a great while and usually only when staying at someone else's house.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,264 times
Sweet tea. Basically equal parts simple sugar and tea.

I love my Fiestaware. The factory store at the plant in Newell, WV is awesome.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:31 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,470 times
Default Food?

I was settin’ at the restaurant
When the waiter came up and asked, “What do you want?”
I looked at the menu…it looked so nice
Till he said, “Let me give you a little advice.”
He said, “Spaghetti and potatoes got too much starch,
Pork chops and sausage are bad for your heart.
There’s hormones in chicken and beef and veal,
Bowl of ravioli is a dead man’s meal.
Bread’s got preservatives, there’s nitrates in ham,
Artificial coloring in jellies and jam.
Stay away from doughnuts, run away from pie,
Pepperoni pizza is a sure way to die.
Sugar’s gonna rot your teeth and make you put on weight,
Artificial sweetener’s got cyclamates.
Eggs are high cholesterol, too much fat in cheese,
Coffee ruins your kidneys and so do teas.
Fish got too much mercury, red meat is poison,
Salt’s gonna send your blood pressure risin’.
Hot dogs and bologna got deadly red dyes,
Vegetables and fruits are sprayed with pesticides.”
So I said, “What can I eat that’s gonna make me last?”
He said, “A small drink of water in a sterilized glass.”
And then he stopped and he thought for a minute,
And said, “Never mind the water — there’s a carcinogen in it.”
So I got up from the table and walked out in the street,
Realizin’ there was absolutely NOTHING I coud eat.
So I haven’t eaten for a month and I don’t feel too fine,
But I know that I’ll be healthy for a long, long time.

-Shel Silverstein

Old 02-01-2014, 03:40 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,524 times
this thread that I began has apparently hit too many nerves. good or bad, im not sure, but I think this is great overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh