U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:11 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,991,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I don't think it's wise to build a theater somewhere and hope they will come. Rather, in DC, they are building theaters in areas where density has reached a critical mass and is growing. The trick seems to be to make an area desirable and then add more and more amenities to keep increasing its desirability, drawing in more people.

I don't understand why Liberty Ave (and I was there last week) still seems so dead. Why aren't people living in those buildings? And why do so many of those buildings just seem empty?
Now that penn avenue is all but built out, i would assume liberty ave is next. The clark building was purchased and will convert from office to apartment building. That is a huge building and will add to the street life. Im old enough to remember when Penn and Liberty was the red light district. Liberty was crazy but penn was dark, scary, desolate and abandoned. The area has come along way and im pleased with the amount of historic preservation so far. Liberty will rise soon enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:22 PM

273 posts, read 306,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Now that penn avenue is all but built out, i would assume liberty ave is next. The clark building was purchased and will convert from office to apartment building. That is a huge building and will add to the street life. Im old enough to remember when Penn and Liberty was the red light district. Liberty was crazy but penn was dark, scary, desolate and abandoned. The area has come along way and im pleased with the amount of historic preservation so far. Liberty will rise soon enough.
Penn Ave?!? ugh! I didn't drive down there. Guess I have go back soon and take a look.

I'm really glad to hear about the Clark Building. I know it well cause my mother likes to go there to buy jewelry. I think Liberty Avenue has a ton of potential, and I'd like to see it bustling with life. It's sad right now. That said...

Liberty Ave's seediness has a special place in my heart. When I was about 16, I went to Kaufmann's with my mother and sister and went off on my own. Unbeknownst to them, I headed for a peep show place, something I was curious about but never experienced. The sleezy guy let me in and I got my first taste of the wonders of the XXX world. It wasn't a trip to Amsterdam's red light, but it was still pretty thrilling for a kid.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:02 PM

2,576 posts, read 2,711,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Someone told me that the old Bally's was a former movie theater. If your familiar with the interior setup, it sure looks like it. My wife and I are attending a birthday party @ Perle in Market Square this weekend. A movie before or after would have been perfect. DCs china town theater is great. I would love something similar.
Yes, it was the Gateway: Gateway Theater in Pittsburgh, PA - Cinema Treasures couldn't think of the name, earlier, got stuck on the Fiesta, that was the next block up: Fiesta Theatre in Pittsburgh, PA - Cinema Treasures

Last edited by doo dah; 01-29-2014 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 01-29-2014, 04:20 PM

5,143 posts, read 3,628,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post

I don't understand why Liberty Ave (and I was there last week) still seems so dead. Why aren't people living in those buildings? And why do so many of those buildings just seem empty?
its butt cold here. otherwise, that place is NEVER dead much anymore. there are a lot of residences down there. i believe someone in this forum offered that section 8 vouchers are used in a few of those buildings.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM

4,659 posts, read 8,004,568 times
I would definitely go downtown to see films. I enjoy going to Macy's and Burlington Coat Factory, getting lunch, and stopping for coffee in Market Square. I would love to add seeing a movie to my list of things to do when I decide to spend a day in the city.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:21 AM

5,805 posts, read 9,003,263 times
I think Downtown could support a multiplex....especially with the amount of residents in town now..plus all the Point and Duquesne Students.. With the robust bus service between Oakland and Downtown I would even venture to say Pitt and CMU students will start to go downtown over going to the Waterfront and Waterworks.

I must say that Cultural Dist wasnt my first choice however....I think the North Shore close to Allegheny Station would've the perfect place for 20 screen IMAX Stadium seating MultiPlex. Would fit right in with whats already happening over there and would just as accessible as downtown if not better.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,772,371 times
We're not talking multiplex here, just a two or three screen theater that'll probably specialize in small indie films.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,256,790 times
Good luck to this guy. I hope it works

Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM

2,705 posts, read 1,991,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
We're not talking multiplex here, just a two or three screen theater that'll probably specialize in small indie films.
No not indie films either. Thats what the Harris theater is for. The new theater would be small but only show the most recent popular movies on two or three screens. Similar to squirrel hill, oakmont, and penn hills. Remember the Oakland theater on Forbes in the former fire station? The new theater if built, will be similar in scale.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 AM

2,576 posts, read 2,711,461 times
I think it should be a luxury theater like this Cinepolis USA Luxury or this https://www.ipictheaters.com/
doesn't need 10 screens, maybe a couple or even one (!) big screen. Put it in the Warner. It would be a *destination*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh