Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 09:57 AM

618 posts, read 692,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
In the few times I've compared prices, PIT > CDG was always slightly more expensive than connecting elsewhere. I'd use the flight at least once a year if Delta had connecting service to Berlin from Paris. But they don't, so I have to use United through Newark.
I've done Berlin -> Paris -> IAD with Air France. You can book through them and pick up the Delta flight as a codeshare (or the other way around, I'm sure). Looks like it might work (saying nothing of the price, just picked random dates): KAYAK Search Results

It does seem like a pricier option but I'm tempted by avoiding the inner US connection. That said, the Newark - Berlin flight is very comfortable. I've just always been delayed coming back (whether Newark, Dulles or Philly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
I've done Berlin -> Paris -> IAD with Air France. You can book through them and pick up the Delta flight as a codeshare (or the other way around, I'm sure). Looks like it might work (saying nothing of the price, just picked random dates): KAYAK Search Results

It does seem like a pricier option but I'm tempted by avoiding the inner US connection. That said, the Newark - Berlin flight is very comfortable. I've just always been delayed coming back (whether Newark, Dulles or Philly).
I'll have to check that out this summer when I head back. Thanks for the tip. I didn't use Kayak, I went straight to the Delta site. At this point it kinda sucks though because I've hedged my bets with United FF. SF, Denver, Chicago, and NYC are my regulars in the US, and they're all United cities.

Quick check of my travel dates for the end of may is showing PIT > BER via CDG as only $30 more than the cheapest option. That's really not bad! The United flight is almost $250 more.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
It's good PIT-CDG is increasing to daily service... but I feel like the "season" has been whittled down by a couple months compared to previous years.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 AM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
Quote:
I'll have to check that out this summer when I head back. Thanks for the tip. I didn't use Kayak, I went straight to the Delta site. At this point it kinda sucks though because I've hedged my bets with United FF. SF, Denver, Chicago, and NYC are my regulars in the US, and they're all United cities.

Quick check of my travel dates for the end of may is showing PIT > BER via CDG as only $30 more than the cheapest option. That's really not bad! The United flight is almost $250 more.
I would pay $30 in a heartbeat to avoid the hassle of a connection in the US. Long flight back to Pittsburgh and then just collapse. Just have to hit CDG when they aren't striking..

Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Just have to hit CDG when they aren't striking..
I was dodging Lufthansa strikes anyway last time, so w/e.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:35 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Default More reason for PIT to get it's ass in gear

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/spirit...180000899.html

"Today the first Ultra-low Cost Carrier in the Americas announced new daily service from Arnold Palmer Regional Airport to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport which begins May 7, 2015."

I know I will be using this a LOT. I imagine others will too, either to get to Chicago or to connect there for further points West.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:46 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/spirit...180000899.html

"Today the first Ultra-low Cost Carrier in the Americas announced new daily service from Arnold Palmer Regional Airport to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport which begins May 7, 2015."

I know I will be using this a LOT. I imagine others will too, either to get to Chicago or to connect there for further points West.
A quick look & pricing looked about the same (I only looked at a few dates mind you) as southwest which doesn't charge for bags; though if you're just using the flight as a leg to connect o'hare is usually more apt for that than midway. Either way the competition is welcome but I'd rather see new routes rather than duplicates of already well served destinations.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
A quick look & pricing looked about the same (I only looked at a few dates mind you) as southwest which doesn't charge for bags; though if you're just using the flight as a leg to connect o'hare is usually more apt for that than midway. Either way the competition is welcome but I'd rather see new routes rather than duplicates of already well served destinations.
I don't use Midway. A quick ride up the Blue Line from my apartment to O'Hare is much easier for me. My thought (aside from my personal convenience) was, as you mentioned, O'Hare offering more connecting flights to Western destinations than Midway. For those set on using O'Hare, this is good news.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:11 PM

I can't stand Spirit or the drive out to Latrobe, but any downward pressure on fares is welcome to me. I'm glad to see Spirit adding flights to cities other than crappy beach towns. Hopefully it does well and they add a few more real cities.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I can't stand Spirit or the drive out to Latrobe, but any downward pressure on fares is welcome to me. I'm glad to see Spirit adding flights to cities other than crappy beach towns. Hopefully it does well and they add a few more real cities.
my thoughts as well. I've only had limited experience with Spirit, but I've heard mixed reviews. For me personally, it's just very convenient being that it goes to O'Hare and I visit my family often in Pittsburgh. I was also always turned off by Spirit clinging to crappy tourist beach towns for it's Pittsburgh destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh