Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 12:34 PM

994 posts, read 900,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Southwest may work for infrequent leisure travelers, but it isn't really a great option for frequent business travel.
I'm curious. Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:41 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I'm curious. Why not?
Certainly this is personal preference, but many business travelers prefer to patronize airlines that offer perks and upgrades catered to comfort and getting work done while at the airport. Not being able to buy up to extra legroom or a bigger seat on a cross-country flight when you need to be at your best is a tough sell. I travel to the west coast sometimes for one night and on short notice, and I know that I am not the only one that has to travel that way. The last thing I need is major fatigue and back pain when I am headed straight from LAX to a meeting.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:43 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:
Southwest may work for infrequent leisure travelers, but it isn't really a great option for frequent business travel.
Hahahahahaha!!!! Welcome to the 21st century, where businesses care about their travel costs. Southwest cut their teeth on business travel intrastate Texas, so to say they don't work for business travel is laughable considering that's the reason they were able to grow. I assure you that they didn't make record profits on infrequent tourists traveling from houston to Midland.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Certainly this is personal preference, but many business travelers prefer to patronize airlines that offer perks and upgrades catered to comfort and getting work done while at the airport. Not being able to buy up to extra legroom or a bigger seat on a cross-country flight when you need to be at your best is a tough sell. I travel to the west coast sometimes for one night and on short notice, and I know that I am not the only one that has to travel that way. The last thing I need is major fatigue and back pain when I am headed straight from LAX to a meeting.
Most business travelers are not bi coastal travelers. And LAX to PIT is not a frequent business route. Hence why it's going away as a destination. Southwest has more legroom than coach American, United or Delta.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Hahahahahaha!!!! Welcome to the 21st century, where businesses care about their travel costs. Southwest cut their teeth on business travel intrastate Texas, so to say they don't work for business travel is laughable considering that's the reason they were able to grow. I assure you that they didn't make record profits on infrequent tourists traveling from houston to Midland.
What part of "not a great option" equates to "don't work for business travel"? What about Houston to Midland is comperable to Pittsburgh to LA?

Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Most business travelers are not bi coastal travelers. And LAX to PIT is not a frequent business route. Hence why it's going away as a destination. Southwest has more legroom than coach American, United or Delta.
This I can buy. My own personal experiences bias my response. I am smart enough to be able to admit that. I don't think that makes my response laughable or otherwise foolish.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
What part of "not a great option" equates to "don't work for business travel"? What about Houston to Midland is comperable to Pittsburgh to LA?
For the business traveler that has to pay his own way, it's a great option. You can't compare business class American to Southwest, completely different price points. I'd much rather flight southwest for business than coach American.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:57 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Agree.
American > Southwest for business travel that's not as price conscience for many reasons.

Southwest > American for coach travel.

I also wish more US airlines would realize that their baggage cost policy hurts them more than they probably realize.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Agree.
American > Southwest for business travel that's not as price conscience for many reasons.

Southwest > American for coach travel.

I also wish more US airlines would realize that their baggage cost policy hurts them more than they probably realize.
I'd love to see an airline charge for carry-ons and make the first checked bag free. It would speed the boarding process. I think you'd also see more business travelers whose travel is paid by a company expensing the carry-on cost to keep the time lost and risk of lost luggage to a minimum.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
I'd love to see an airline charge for carry-ons and make the first checked bag free. It would speed the boarding process. I think you'd also see more business travelers whose travel is paid by a company expensing the carry-on cost to keep the time lost and risk of lost luggage to a minimum.
It isn't just that, it is that we are treated like cattle these days. It is horrible to fly anymore. I don't mind flying in Europe, but in the US it is garbage, just as bad as our bus service in the cities. I just try and avoid at all costs. We sure are an unsophisticated country compared to northern Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh