Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky01 View Post
In a hindsight, that's what we would've done.
At the time we weren't too sure about Aquinas, so picked Warrendale in case we need North Allegheny as backup plan.
McCandless did come across during the house hunting, but we preferred the Cranberry area over North Hills.
For some reason there just aren't as many houses for sale in Hampton.
That's because Hampton is a very small school district that is in high demand due to the quality of the school and the small size of the classes. McCandless is the next best solution for commuting to Aquinas while staying in the North Allegheny School District. It's right on the other side of North Park, less than 5 minutes away. I prefer the North Hills to Cranberry. Cranberry is super congested and I prefer a real mall with high end stores to the strip malls in Cranberry. Regardless, I'm betting the OP would prefer Hampton over North Allegheny for public schools. Most people who want a Catholic school won't be happy with North Allegheny because it's a mega huge school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Central Catholic is the Pgh Mafia. I have met so many in the biz world.
I haven't met any. Guess we are in different circles.

Hope the OP has kids that are great at sports. That is king there. They love to recruit and play against the public schools that can't. They think it is some great feat, but most are looking at that as the silliness that it is. Sort of like that new tv show. What is it called, tiny football tykes or something like that? It is funny stuff though. Go Central.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I haven't met any. Guess we are in different circles.

Hope the OP has kids that are great at sports. That is king there. They love to recruit and play against the public schools that can't. They think it is some great feat, but most are looking at that as the silliness that it is. Sort of like that new tv show. What is it called, tiny football tykes or something like that? It is funny stuff though. Go Central.
I disagree, I believe you are only allowed to play ONE sport, could be wrong. They do recruit when it comes to football, but anyone can make the chess team.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I disagree, I believe you are only allowed to play ONE sport, could be wrong. They do recruit when it comes to football, but anyone can make the chess team.
I worked for the diocese eons ago. The priests are really competitive with each other about football. I wouldn't be surprised if they place some serious bets. It's part of their social culture. What else are they going to do to entertain themselves?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:00 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,184,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Central's alumni includes judges, lawyers, peep show operators and mafia underbosses. Pretty illustrious cast of characters, regardless of what field of endeavor the OP's offspring might want to pursue.
And at least one ditchdigger.

Copa, I'd be surprised if they're limited to one sport. One at a time, maybe.

Curtis, I don't know or care whether they recruit, but to even suggest that athletics takes a backseat to academics is simply an untruth.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 AM

310 posts, read 368,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'd suggest the East End of the city proper to you. Oakland is home to both Oakland Catholic and Central Catholic, which would be perfect for your children, as both schools are literally within walking distance of each other. If you were to locate in a neighborhood like Shadyside, for example, you would be able to have a five-minute drive each way to each of their schools, and your husband could take rapid bus transit to work Downtown via the East Busway in 10-15 minutes.
Great idea!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
And at least one ditchdigger.

Copa, I'd be surprised if they're limited to one sport. One at a time, maybe.

Curtis, I don't know or care whether they recruit, but to even suggest that athletics takes a backseat to academics is simply an untruth.
No way you are limited to one sport. I saw a Central Basketball game a few weeks ago with my father in law and he said so and so was on the football team too.

Most people are lucky to make one team at Central. With that many boys I would imagine it would be brutal to make a sports team.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Copanut didn't mean limited to playing one sport. I think he meant that the schools only heavily recruit for football---as in football is the most important sport to the Catholic schools and if you need a sports scholarship you better be good at football, not soccer, chess, etc.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:43 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,184,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut

I disagree, I believe you are only allowed to play ONE sport, could be wrong.
You're going to have to teach him to post what he means then, cause I get confused when he doesn't.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
You're going to have to teach him to post what he means then, cause I get confused when he doesn't.

The sentence after that one is a big context clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh