Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:10 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
The (human) police officer credited the dog with saving his life. Maybe a little over the top, but the dog was an officer slain in the line of duty. I heard that they are raising money for stab-proof vests for K9 officers.
I read that as well, but in another article they mentioned that the dogs become over heated wearing a vest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 03:17 PM

273 posts, read 346,473 times
I think it's admirable that Pittsburghers have shown such compassion and caring, particularly for a dog. The world is filled with cynics, partly due to the never-ending news cycle of violence and injustice. Maybe these Pittsburghers feel that this dog was selfless, loyal and asked for nothing in return (unlike most people), and -- for these qualities, as well as being killed in the line of duty -- deserves to be memorialized. Personally, I'm proud that Pittsburghers would hold up Rocco as an example of something whose death should be mourned.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:57 PM

510 posts, read 900,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I think it is bordering on the side of the coverage being too much as well. I don't have a problem with having the memorial, but making it public and having all of this coverage is a little too much for me. Society in general views animal and human life rather differently.
Yes, the media should devote more time to the usual doom and gloom happening in the greater Pittsburgh region.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 AM

310 posts, read 368,661 times
No, i don't think he's just a dog. He was a police officer and took the stabbing to protect his owner. In no way was he just a dog. He fought crime everyday!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Consider how much attention Justin Bieber gets and ask yourself if too much has been given to Rocco.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
Consider how much attention Justin Bieber gets and ask yourself if too much has been given to Rocco.
LOL As if that is some kind of reasonable gauge, to compare it to something else that gets far too much attention?

This kind of stuff ALL gets too much attention. That was the point.

Saying that it's not too much because other things unworthy get more does not an argument make.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Saying that it's not too much because other things unworthy get more does not an argument make.
It may not make an argument, but it does make an opinion, which is what I was offering.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
It may not make an argument, but it does make an opinion, which is what I was offering.
Argument, in this case, is reasoning given in support or against something. That's what your opinion is. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much point in writing it.

Your justification for your statement is, in essence: It's okay because we give ridiculous Justin Bieber even more attention!

Apart from whether or not I believe it's too much attention given to Rocco, sorry, that is silly reasoning for suggesting that it's all okay.

That is my opinion.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That is my opinion.
Can't argue with that!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Can't argue with that!
Touché
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh