U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,359,734 times
East Washington, Canonsburg and Peters Twp. are all nice places, but are all at a minimum of 45 minutes from Morgantown and I'd bet that Peters is at least over one hour. The roads in Morgantown are completely inadequate for the population there and traffic can be bad during he rush hours so I'd rule out anywhere north of southern Washington County, unless your husband loves spending time in the car.

If you wouldn't mind something a bit more rural, but still about 50 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, I would check out Greene County. Waynesburg is a nice enough college town with what I hear are decent schools. Plus it's less than 20 minutes from Morgantown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 06:37 PM

939 posts, read 1,833,629 times
Like the above poster said, that 45 minute constraint will hamper your search. It WILL take at minimum 20 minutes to get out of Morgantown unless his job is next to the interstate. Up to 45 minutes if he works near the economic center of town near the hospital. Morgantown is a failure of city planning. We're literally talking 20,000+ people working/going to school in the space of less than 0.5 square miles...with only two major 4-lane arteries leading away from town....one towards I-68, one towards I-79.

If you lived up route 119 towards Uniontown, you can bypass all of the traffic towards the interstates and go straight to clear sailing. Honestly, that's the only viable option I think you should consider if you are hellbent on living in PA.

I would fear and loathe every day of my working life if I had to sit in that damn traffic to I-79 every day...and then drive another 45+ minutes to get home.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,403,748 times
The above posters are all very correct about the traffic situation in Morgantown, it is ridiculous for a town, as I well learned from going to school there. However it just all depends on where your husbands job is in relation to the interstate and what time he gets off of work.

Washington PA is a developing area (the part by the interstate that is) and would seem to fit your desire for being in close proximity to stores and restaurants. As mentioned its about 40-45minutes from Morgantown. McMurray and Peters are developing at a fast rate and are also more expensive than Washington, not to mention the drive will be about ten minutes longer. Their schools are also highlyregarded.This area is one I would definitely look into.

The towns through the Mon-Valley along Rt. 119 are known for being rather depressed economically and therefore I personally would be nervous about investing in a home there. A look at basic population stats will show to you that many have lost a great deal of population over the past several decades.

Waynesburg and Mt. Morris both in Greene County are close to Morgantown but pretty rural, especially the latter. I have a friend who lived in Mount Morris growing up and all they used to do in high school was drive to Morgantown because there was nothing to do.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,709 times
Does anyone know if the old Simon Bakery, 203 North Gallatin Ave. in Uniontown is still operating? If not, what has replaced it? It used to be owned and run by my great grandfather, Joseph Simon. I hear that area is very run down now.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,342 times
It's still there, but "The Ave" is the worst area in all of Uniontown. Drugs, prostiution, etc.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,589,769 times
From Peter's to the Morgantown exit off of 79 (by the mall) is exactly 1 hour. Used to drive this ALOT as my daughters best frien moved to Deep Creek MD and we would meet in Morgantown for kid exchanges. Then you need to think of 20minutes for getting to the office. For a once a week commute not bad...but everyday it would be a real bear.
Washington get you maybe 15-20 min closer.

I'd seriously look at WAynesburg. It's a beautiful area. etc...

But why not Morgantown area itself? It's a nice town and the area of Cheat Lake (east of Mtown) has very nice houses and good schools.
Morgan is 1-1/2 hours from Pittsburg. How often do you plan on going into the city? and for what? I'd bet you'd be surprised at what the area in and around Morgantown itself has to offer.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM

2,304 posts, read 4,608,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post

But why not Morgantown area itself? It's a nice town and the area of Cheat Lake (east of Mtown) has very nice houses and good schools.
Oooo I used to live in the Cheat Lake area! In my history of living places, that was the most beautiful; and ironically the cheapest. Just after I left school...there was no reason to stay. But the area and my place were beautiful...

Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,323,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
The above posters are all very correct about the traffic situation in Morgantown, it is ridiculous for a town, as I well learned from going to school there. However it just all depends on where your husbands job is in relation to the interstate and what time he gets off of work.

Washington PA is a developing area (the part by the interstate that is) and would seem to fit your desire for being in close proximity to stores and restaurants. As mentioned its about 40-45minutes from Morgantown. McMurray and Peters are developing at a fast rate and are also more expensive than Washington, not to mention the drive will be about ten minutes longer. Their schools are also highlyregarded.This area is one I would definitely look into.

The towns through the Mon-Valley along Rt. 119 are known for being rather depressed economically and therefore I personally would be nervous about investing in a home there. A look at basic population stats will show to you that many have lost a great deal of population over the past several decades.

Waynesburg and Mt. Morris both in Greene County are close to Morgantown but pretty rural, especially the latter. I have a friend who lived in Mount Morris growing up and all they used to do in high school was drive to Morgantown because there was nothing to do.
The unique thing about Peter's is that there are middle class people and REALLY, REALLY wealthy people there. Everyone seems to get along, although, Washington County is a bit rednecky....
You know, "rich hicks."

Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,573 times
Default Simon Bakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura smith View Post
Does anyone know if the old Simon Bakery, 203 North Gallatin Ave. in Uniontown is still operating? If not, what has replaced it? It used to be owned and run by my great grandfather, Joseph Simon. I hear that area is very run down now.
Joseph Simon is also my husbands grandfather. The proprietors have moved out but continue to rent the rooms. Large amounts of monies are owed in back taxes, utilities, etc, going back yrs. yet the city allows it to go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh