Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:09 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Please explain to me what appeal Dukakis had to the working-class white voters in Southwestern Pennsylvania that he cleaned up so well here, while Obama did so poorly. Hell, why did he do better than John Kerry or Al Gore? Was it his salt of the earth nature? Was it his broadly populist rhetoric? His background as a die-hard union man?
It was his manly tank photo-op.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 02:16 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
I think the mistake being made here, which has been alluded to by others, is conflating the fact that Pittsburgh was voting Democratic with it being less conservative. With some notable exceptions, Democrats in Western PA have often been very socially conservative -- if anything, Peduto's election indicates a move away from that.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
We really need to stop classifying people by the outdated 2 party system. In this country. Really, classification into any political party isn't accurate as many people have political views that cross the boundaries of what are considered today's political parties in multiple ways.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I think the mistake being made here, which has been alluded to by others, is conflating the fact that Pittsburgh was voting Democratic with it being less conservative. With some notable exceptions, Democrats in Western PA have often been very socially conservative -- if anything, Peduto's election indicates a move away from that.
Social issues are at most half of the left/right axis - and I'd argue they account for far less than that. It doesn't matter if these people were socially conservative in the past, and are still socially conservative today if they used to be die-hard trade unionists who voted for New Deal liberals, and now vote for people like Keith Rothfus.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:48 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
We really need to stop classifying people by the outdated 2 party system. In this country. Really, classification into any political party isn't accurate as many people have political views that cross the boundaries of what are considered today's political parties in multiple ways.
I'm sorry but this whole "don't classify me" thing is rubbish. Whatever their justifications, 80% of Americans vote for one party or the other in essentially every election. Most true "swing voters" tend to be less informed on the issues than partisans of either stripe, and vote for who they like the best as a person.

We have a clear ideological polarization in this country. Historically, this hasn't mattered, because there used to be many conservative Democrats and Liberal Republicans, but the parties have realigned to reflect ideology in a way they never did in the past.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Whatever their justifications, 80% of Americans vote for one party or the other in essentially every election.
So, these 80%, do you think they 100% agree with each of their sides and that's why they always vote that way? That would be the implication here.

Quote:
We have a clear ideological polarization in this country.
No we don't. There are only two parties who can win on a large scale, and if there's anything they hate more than each other it is any chance of that changing, so they will always join forces to make sure that they are the only two.

This dichotomy is fabricated. The number of possible affiliations being two is arbitrary. The dichotomy exists because of the parties; the parties do not exist because of an inherent dichotomy.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
How the area votes for president is not the end all be all of its true makeup.

I'd say it's likely much more nuanced, but nobody wants to look at that, they just want to look at red/blue and nothing in between or outside of that dichotomy.
You have a point there. In fact, I got into a heated "discussion" on this board with one of this forum's gurus about Colorado "turning blue", supposedly. I said the same thing as the bold. All politics is local. Now there are a lot of people who know more about Colorado politics than me, but not some internet junkie from Pittsburgh who gets his info from Nate Silver.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Why does it even matter which direction the political winds blow in western Pennsylvania outside of Allegheny County? The only counties west of the Allegheny Front that are currently gaining population are Allegheny, Butler, Erie and Washington. Butler and Washington Counties directly benefit from bordering Allegheny County, and Erie County has grown by less than 100 people since 2010.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:16 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Allegheny County and Erie County has grown by less than 100 people since 2010.
At least there's some growth.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
The real test is whether or no Peduto will be less corrupt than most of the other mayors in Pittsburgh in my lifetime.

If he isn't, then its business as usual, with some rhetorical bones thrown to social liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh