Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,338,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
im glad this hasnt been left for dead. i used to enjoy Northway because i thought it was quicker to get to, and easier to get in and out.

those businesses arent prevalent, too, adding some good choices. Im hoping Maggiano's is a worthy destination, too - i had never eaten there.
I have eaten at their locations in Los Angeles, D.C. and Philadelphia, they have all been spectacular. Their food quality is much higher than Olive Garden, and they give you a complementary bowl of pasta to take home with you.
I have a feeling that they might also bring a Romano's Macaroni Grill into the location as they are run by the same company (who also owns Chilis and On The Border), and they have been advertising a lot without a location in the region. I am personally surprised to see this happening with McCandless Crossing II also going up but it is great news economically for the area (and now I won't have to drive to Cleveland to get Maggianos anymore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:56 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,539,561 times
I never even knew Northway Mall was there. Driving up McKnight to Ross Park Mall is the kind of thing you have to do occasionally, but I've never had the patience to go any farther.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,699,807 times
Maggiano's. Let me get this straight. Some chain restaurants are more acceptable than others. Interesting.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM

510 posts, read 901,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I never even knew Northway Mall was there. Driving up McKnight to Ross Park Mall is the kind of thing you have to do occasionally, but I've never had the patience to go any farther.
We used to go up there when the Borders was there, but haven't been since it closed.
I believe Northway was the first indoor mall in Pennsylvania.
It seems like a pretty prime location, and there is certainly a lot of traffic up that way. i am glad they are bringing it back to life.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,559,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I believe Northway was the first indoor mall in Pennsylvania.
It seems like a pretty prime location, and there is certainly a lot of traffic up that way. i am glad they are bringing it back to life.
It was (first indoor mall in PA) and is (prime location). But the building configuration is wacko because it was originally an outdoor strip and then it was added onto in various ways. It has made it somewhat difficult in the wake of it not being necessary to have another indoor mall right next to Ross Park. It did fine for a while especially with Dick's and Borders I suppose but with Borders defunct and now finally Dick's moving they are ripe for a bigger revamp it seems.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,559,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maggiano's. Let me get this straight. Some chain restaurants are more acceptable than others. Interesting.
Is someone here on record for being anti-chain development generally but pro Maggiano's? Could be, I can't keep track of it that carefully. You have to ignore the food aspect; certainly there can be a perceived difference in the food at various chains. This is more of a development question here.

As for me specifically, I'm all for a big draw chain like that even if I never go there. I'm not naive enough to think that we shouldn't have such chain restaurants. That's ridiculous. I might not personally go to them though. I think we're well beyond the point of chain restaurants putting things that are non-chain (if they're anything half decent) out of business. They seem to coexist in most areas.

I think you're trumping up charges here.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:44 AM

75 posts, read 101,428 times
It's a great location and I'm glad redevelopment is occurring there as opposed to leaving Northway for dead completely and building something new further out toward Wexford & Cranberry. I remember going to the movies there, the hobby store, and of course Borders.

I wonder what type of stores will fill the gap between the Saks & Nordstrom discount stores. Mall retailers not at Ross Park? Outlet stores? Or just the usual strip mall businesses? There's currently a thrift store in the lower section near the old Borders plus a dollar store. I can't imagine these staying with the proposed new tenants.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM

912 posts, read 1,724,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Great news for the North Hills. Currently my wife travels to the Nordstrom Rack @ Potomac Mills in the DC area. You can find great deals there. Nordstrom Rack and Nordstrom are really two distinct experiences though.i knew the Rack would eventually arrive but could not imagine it locating in the same district.
Does she go down to DC just for Nordstrom Rack? There's one in Legacy Village, just east of Cleveland.

I agree that Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack are completely different experiences. Nordstrom is obviously a traditional, upscale department store with distinct departments and staff working in assigned areas. To me, Nordstrom Rack looks and feels like Burlington, but with more expensive brands.

I'm not surprised they are building the Rack so close to Nordstrom. The aforementioned Nordstrom Rack in Legacy Village is right across the street from the Beachwood Mall, which has a regular Nordstrom. I'm sure some people shop at both, but there a plenty who probably only shop at one or the other. I never go to Nordstrom, but I'll go to Nordstrom Rack and buy shoes and dress shirts on occasion.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,745,925 times
Quote:

They do have better quality food than a lot of other chains, but I'm surprised anyone would drive more than 30 minutes to go to one.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,952,785 times
Quote:
Chains are not my thing, and I'm confident I cook better Italian than anyone Maggiano's has ever hired so I won't be going there, but yeah, some chains are more acceptable than others. Morton's, Ruth Chris come to mind. If scale helps a chain procure and serve better product, then I don't classify them the same as chains who buy and serve crap and just dress it up with fat and salt. Pretty much any market they're in, Morton's and Ruth Chris are going to be in the top 3-4 steakhouses. I can't think of another chain that can say that.

I wonder how/if the types of stores Northway is attracting will have any effect on Century III. I have no idea what can go into West Mifflin that would make that mall a destination, other than to go the outlet route like Tanger Outlets or Grove City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh