Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,806,722 times

Advertisements

The Wilkesboro Avenue Footbridge looks awesome... hope it opens sometime soon so I can walk across it.

Low-priority bridge projects close off North Side residents | TribLIVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,961,732 times
The article doesn't mention the bridge in West Park over the railroad tracks that the city let deteriorate until they had to close it about a decade ago and then finally demolish it a few months ago when it was too far gone to fix.

Sometimes it seems like the city forgets that the Northside is over here.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:19 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,806,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
The article doesn't mention the bridge in West Park over the railroad tracks that the city let deteriorate until they had to close it about a decade ago and then finally demolish it a few months ago when it was too far gone to fix.

Yet we have had two mayors from the North Side in recent years (Steelerstahl and Murphy).

Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,195,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
The Wilkesboro Avenue Footbridge looks awesome... hope it opens sometime soon so I can walk across it.

You can hope, but it probably isn't going to happen.

There are a lot of abandoned bridges that have been razed without a replacement and all but forgotten throughout the city. The Georgia Ave. Bridge in Knoxville, Timberland Ave. Bridge in Brookline, the Island Ave Bridge on the North Side, Independence St. Bridge in the West End come to mind immediately- I'm sure there are others.

Only one which was replaced was Ellsworth Ave- after 40 years, and now just a foot bridge instead of all-purpose.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,907,835 times
Quote:

I'm ready to secede if you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You can hope, but it probably isn't going to happen.

There are a lot of abandoned bridges that have been razed without a replacement and all but forgotten throughout the city. The Georgia Ave. Bridge in Knoxville, Timberland Ave. Bridge in Brookline, the Island Ave Bridge on the North Side, Independence St. Bridge in the West End come to mind immediately- I'm sure there are others.

Only one which was replaced was Ellsworth Ave- after 40 years, and now just a foot bridge instead of all-purpose.
One big difference is that the Wilksboro Ave bridge has not been demolished. That means it still has potential to be politically bad for someone if it ever does get demolished. It also might be cheaper to rehab the existing bridge than to build a new one.

I think the Wilksboro Ave bridge is neat, but I think it's a tough sell to get it repaired. I was aware of its existence, but I have never once heard anybody say anything about it, wishing it was re-opened, until this article. It really only serves a small residential section of the neighborhood and even some of the residents of that area are commenting on the Trib article that they are glad that it's closed because it was supposedly a crime spot when it was open. I think the "access to the bus" argument is a losing one since you can get to California just as easily down Termon, Morell, or Marmaduke. At most it might cut off one minute of walking time and put your stop one minute earlier on the bus route.

On the other hand, I wholeheartedly want the Davis Avenue Bridge to be rebuilt and I know of many others in Brighton Heights that agree. It would help connect Brighton Heights and Observatory Hill, and open up Riverview Park as a walkable destination for Brighton Heights residents. I have talked to Councilwoman Harris about it and she did say that it might be cheaper, and thus quicker and easier, to get it rebuilt as a bike/ped bridge that is wide enough for emergency vehicles.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,907,835 times
Quote:
Mayor Bill Peduto said the federal government changed guidelines for municipalities receiving highway money, and funding is based strictly on need.
I wish they quoted instead of paraphrsaed Peduto. "Based on need"...like maybe before the structures get to the point that they have to demolished?!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,001,873 times
Quote:
the city isnt awash in money. any state money we get is in competition with Philadelphia and other urban centres in this state. come on with the "city hall hates us", already!!!!!!!!!

"As a result, Peduto said, the city must prioritize projects that affect the most residents, and use its capital budget carefully to maximize leverage for additional money.

“Twenty years ago, you could go to a senator or a congressman and get an earmark for a specific project,” he said. “You can't do that anymore.”

just a tough reality. think about it - its inconvenient, sure, but not for enough people (granted, im looking at the google map and drawing a conclusion from that).

now the Davis Avenue Bridge - i'll give you that. as far as ive heard, it aint coming back. im not a bridge expert by any means, but look at the language in this report...sounds frightening that this was let to deteriorate to that level!

http://bridgehunter.com/pa/allegheny/davis-avenue/

but on a happier note - here in 'merica, we got some good drinking and eatin' in our 2 Billion dollar stadiums! go cowboys.

Last edited by szug-bot; 02-19-2014 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: clarification on context
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh