Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,555 times

Advertisements

I know that we have had similar threads about stuff from yesteryear like Winky's, Isaly's, and West View Park. Those of us who are middle age or older remember dozens of places like this. I would like this thread to not necessarily have to wax nostalgic about something that closed thirty or forty years ago, but to get some of our younger posters involved lamenting the closing of an eatery or two that may have closed more recently, say within the last decade or so.
I was thinking the other day how much I miss the Villa Pizza and Bar on Bryant Street in Highand Park. It has been closed now for six or seven years. It was an inexpensive place to pop into for lunch and they were always very friendly. There was a lunch counter in front and bar in the back. They sold a lot of six packs.
I used to get their steak and cheese hoagie on Sanchiolis rolls. They would grill the meat and veggies, then pop it in the oven for a minute to lightly toast it and melt the cheese. A steak sandwich and a soda was five bucs. Friendly, cheap, and tasty..What more could you ask for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,102 times
Richard Chen... never tried it, but wanted to... but it lasted for like 2 months before he freaked out and left.

Abay... I tried Tana for the first time recently... enjoyed my meal... but Abay had superior ambience.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,947 times
I miss Abay in East Liberty - great Ethiopian food. We are going to check out the other Ethiopian restaurant around the corner on Baum Blvd.

Another that I miss is Sip, which was on Spahr Street near Ellsworth Avenue. Great vegetarian food.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:35 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Sodini's. Italian, but it had the best Devonshire in Pittsburgh. Turkey or crabmeat. Used to eat there every week in college. The CVS on Wilkins Avenue stands now in its place (oh, the ignominy). If one restaurant could be reborn in Pgh, I'd like it to be this one.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
My choices have nothing to do with quality food as all the "good" places we like are still operating with no drop in quality.

But, being in the South Hills and not a fan of Pamela's because their coffee is about the worst I've ever had, I did briefly mourn the loss of Skidgy's. It was the first breakfast place my then-fiancee took me to when I moved out here and it was one of my first impressions of Pittsburgh. It seemed every other person in there was 90 years old and smoking like a chimney.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
On a related tangent I wish there was somewhere restaurateurs who were struggling could go to let current and prospective customers know they have been in the doldrums and need a fiscal lifeline BEFORE just throwing in the towel. I'm well aware of Kevin Sousa's success in "kick-starting" a new restaurant in Braddock, and I wish him the best of luck with it. I'm talking more about "We're not doing so well and may close down soon. Please give us a try while you still can!" I have to admit we have a coffeeshop in Polish Hill called Lili Cafe that I've been to several times but could probably stand to patronize a bit more often given its proximity to my home. I'd feel terribly if they went out of business without having any sort of advanced notice that they needed more patronage to stay afloat financially. I just always see it crowded and assume it's doing well enough without my more frequent visits.

I just don't know how restaurateurs wouldn't "abuse" this system, though. If the sole purpose of such a site would be to drum up more business, then wouldn't everyone try to appeal to the general public like this? I'm off work today and am planning to order delivery or pick-up from a local restaurant in about an hour. We were thinking Industry since we love their fries, but they don't have a chicken sandwich for my partner, so now we're exploring alternatives. Can anyone recommend a place that they think is struggling and may soon close? There's always so many places around here I want to try (including Bridge Ten Brasserie, most recently), and then they close before I do!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,758 times
Quote:

I was thinking the other day how much I miss the Villa Pizza and Bar on
Bryant Street in Highand Park.
Did you mean Terry Villa, on Bryant? That was the first place I thought of when I began reading the opening post. I spent a lot of my lunch money there back in the late 70s, early 80s. I don't remember how long ago I heard that it closed, but six or seven years sounds about right. Great hoagies, but my favorite thing was a deluxe pizza. Me and a buddy of mine used to go halfsies on one.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,915 times
This doesn't really count as an eatery, but when Junction Pharmacy (at the corner of Forbes and Braddock) closed, it was like my entire childhood had suddenly been wiped out.

A couple of recent closures that I was pretty bummed about: Gullifty's and Alma.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:44 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Gulliftys

George Aikens ( wilkinsburg, oakland, downtown)

Woodside BBQ

Blue Bird ( clairton)

Palmers Diner

Forbes Room

Walsh's

Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,999 times
Italian Oven, Cheese Cellar.
Does CiCI's pizza count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh