Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Just curious, how do you think this should have been handled? The guy could have ran out in front of a car, been hit, and caused someone else a lot more unnecessary trauma than just seeing a random dude naked. What if he ran into an elderly person on the street, knocked the person to the ground and caused injury? If either of my very possible scenarios played out, people would also be asking, "Why wasn't anyone trying to stop him?!"

It could be argued that tasing him was for his own safety to prevent him from running into traffic, etc.
This is the dumbest sack of excuses I have ever heard. Please never get yourself onto a police force or elected into a position of authority, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Unfortunately for all the good guys out there, yeah, it's hard for me to ignore the bad stuff that happens to people who don't deserve it. Resisting arrest is a common claim that is difficult to disprove.
I could dig up dozens of Youtube/Liveleak videos of officers beating or tazing people while they are on the ground with their hands restrained where the officers yell "STOP RESISTING" to cover their ass. Not even this would convince the "but..but..but.. if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about" crowd that the concept of resisting arrest is shaky at best.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times
Its just like everything else..take freedoms inch by inch so no one notices, and when they do talk them into thinking its for the best. Half the people here already think "tazing him was fine because at least they didnt shoot the non-violent guy".

Hey reading my emails and using drones to spy is fine because at least they arent moving into my guest room right?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Did any of you READ the story??? Did you miss the part about resisting arrest??? Did you miss the part that he was acting crazy??? Or do you just want to bash the police???
Then the cops should use pepper spray, or a non-lethal method of subduing that they should have learned in the police academy. Tasers are dangerous to anyone with minor health issues, and there is no way they can ever screen people to see whether or not they can handle the taser during a spontaneous event.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
This is the dumbest sack of excuses I have ever heard. Please never get yourself onto a police force or elected into a position of authority, thanks in advance!
Excuses? Have you ever been in Downtown Pittsburgh? It's crowded with vehicles and people. My "excuses" were HIGHLY probably situations which thankfully didn't happen.

And you clearly have no idea what it's like or have any sort of appreciation for people in the line of duty. It's so cute to sit there in your comfy computer chair and spout off what SHOULD have been done and WHY what the officers did was SO wrong and how you would have done things SO much better...when you never have to leave your computer chair. Guess what? I could never be a cop and something sure tells me you couldn't either. I at least am not so ungreatful to sit in my comfy chair and tell people who work the field exactly what they should and shouldn't do.

Cops are human beings, they make mistakes, they go on power trips, etc...because they're human. But let's not lose sight of the fact that interactions with the police similar to this, 9 times out of 10 are the direct result of someone being stupid and then threads like this happen where everyone somehow has 100% sympathy towards the actor in the situation...all while we sit comfortably behind keyboards...

Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Excuses? Have you ever been in Downtown Pittsburgh? It's crowded with vehicles and people. My "excuses" were HIGHLY probably situations which thankfully didn't happen.

And you clearly have no idea what it's like or have any sort of appreciation for people in the line of duty. It's so cute to sit there in your comfy computer chair and spout off what SHOULD have been done and WHY what the officers did was SO wrong and how you would have done things SO much better...when you never have to leave your computer chair. Guess what? I could never be a cop and something sure tells me you couldn't either. I at least am not so ungreatful to sit in my comfy chair and tell people who work the field exactly what they should and shouldn't do.
Wow, you deduced all of that about me from two sentences, huh?? LoL!

I actually have been around police enough times to know that giving them the ability to go around tazing people willy-nilly is a horribly bad idea. This does not require the direct experience of being a cop to come to this logical, common-sense conclusion.

Quote:
Cops are human beings, they make mistakes, they go on power trips, etc...because they're human. But let's not lose sight of the fact that interactions with the police similar to this, 9 times out of 10 are the direct result of someone being stupid and then threads like this happen where everyone somehow has 100% sympathy towards the actor in the situation...all while we sit comfortably behind keyboards...
Thanks for completely justifying my point there. Someone "acting stupid" (whatever the heck that means) is just another vague and therefore TERRIBLE reason to submit someone to a possible death by taser. Apparently, you have such little knowledge about police forces that you aren't even aware that they are trained in multiple non-lethal methods to diffuse situations. Tasers are NOT one of them. Quite frankly, if the cops are too fat/lazy to do their job and immediately jump to using tasers every time a situation gets out of hand, well then they deserve every bit of criticism coming their way.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Wow, you deduced all of that about me from two sentences, huh?? LoL!

I actually have been around police enough times to know that giving them the ability to go around tazing people willy-nilly is a horribly bad idea. This does not require the direct experience of being a cop to come to this logical, common-sense conclusion.

Thanks for completely justifying my point there. Someone "acting stupid" (whatever the heck that means) is just another vague and therefore TERRIBLE reason to submit someone to a possible death by taser. Apparently, you have such little knowledge about police forces that you aren't even aware that they are trained in multiple non-lethal methods to diffuse situations. Tasers are NOT one of them. Quite frankly, if the cops are too fat/lazy to do their job and immediately jump to using tasers every time a situation gets out of hand, well then they deserve every bit of criticism coming their way.
Stripping naked in the middle of Downtown Pittsburgh is totally rational and not "acting stupid." (The definition of the word stupid is "lacking intelligence or common sense." Therefore, the phrase "acting stupid" can mean a person whom acts with a lack of intelligence or common sense. Since you had no idea "what the heck that meant," I figured I'd lay it out for you.)

You seem to be equating tasers to hand grenades and acting as if every time a taser is used, the person dies. I don't deny that they CAN be deadly, but what are the actual statistics of numbers of uses to actual fatalities?

Thanks for completely justifying everything I "deduced" about you with the bolded sentence right there. See how that works? Two can easily play that game. The bolded proves you have no respect or appreciation for those in the line of duty.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Did any of you READ the story??? Did you miss the part about resisting arrest??? Did you miss the part that he was acting crazy??? Or do you just want to bash the police???
Too funny. What do you expect the police to say? A video is worth 1000 words. Show me evidence and I will believe. Tell me a story to protect your decision and I will be more than skeptical.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
If you can't do the time don't do the crime. Hopefully it deters others and there will be less jackarses running around doing the same or worse.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:19 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There's a whole lot of naivety in this country regarding having nothing to worry about if you do nothing wrong. Here's a good example off the top of my head that I read recently: https://medium.com/p/9f53ef6a1c10/ Note I don't think there's a taser in that one, but I'm sure I can find those too.

My thinking these days is that you only really have nothing to worry about if you manage to completely avoid interacting with the police.
That was an interesting story and it probably happens all the time right here. I do feel it is best to try and handle things on your own for the most part. Best to avoid the police no matter what the situation I think. I don't feel all cities have these problems though. I think there are cities that police engage themselves with the public on a more personal level and are more in touch with the people. It makes for a much healthier environment, instead of having police standing alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh