Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:15 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times

Advertisements

Cleveland ohio firm may invest in the terminal. The perfect relationship to cultivate. It is an advantage because they are close and in our sister city of cleveland.

Cleveland developer eyes Strip District's produce terminal - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
as intelligent as "give the building to the cleveland guy because it's pittsburgh's sister city sounds, I think peduto may actually want to consider all the proposals
Quote:
Mayor Bill Peduto said this week that four developers -- one from Ohio, one from Texas and two from Pennsylvania -- are interested in redeveloping the building. That's one more than in December, when Mr. Peduto first mentioned outside interest in the project....
Mr. Peduto, on the other hand, sees a development that, in its own way and with its own mix of amenities, could rival Pike Place Market in Seattle, Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia and Faneuil Hall in Boston.
He's hoping the developers who have expressed interest in redeveloping the terminal can combine their ideas and expertise to come up with a plan.
"There's different approaches that I think that, if you start working with all of them together, you start to see a marketplace that could have the same effect of a Pike Place or a Reading Terminal that brings several million people into the Strip District every year," he said.
Read more: Cleveland developer eyes Strip District's produce terminal - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 02-21-2014, 06:59 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
as intelligent as "give the building to the cleveland guy because it's pittsburgh's sister city sounds, I think peduto may actually want to consider all the proposals

Read more: Cleveland developer eyes Strip District's produce terminal - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Cleveland is not one of Pittsburgh's sister cities: Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(yes, I know)

Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Tear it down and open up the grid all the way to the riverfront. Why save that super long place that just kills the riverfront? I don't get it? It is a loading dock for goodness sake!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Tear it down and open up the grid all the way to the riverfront. Why save that super long place that just kills the riverfront? I don't get it? It is a loading dock for goodness sake!
Of course, it doesn't kill the waterfront, buncher does that

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Cleveland is not one of Pittsburgh's sister cities: Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(yes, I know)
his main point was that pittsburgh needs to become more likel cleveland...so it needs to get poorer, lose people faster.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 AM

338 posts, read 446,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It would be awesome if they just tore it down and some non cheap investors built 2 and3 story rowhouse apartments and condos all with store fronts and safe walkways. Only if I had 1 billion dollars.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:27 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Part of me has to wonder if people really care about the produce terminal at all but rather using it as a means to an end to kill the monstrosity that Buncher wants to build along the river there.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:28 AM

338 posts, read 446,983 times
This Buncher guy seems like a real loser.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
I just ran past the Terminal last night...it is a pretty impressive building and very unique. I don't get how it kills the riverfront though. If the development on the other side is impressive enough people will go to it. It may kill development of a car-centric gated community, but that is not what should be built there anyway. They need to build a city parking garage in the Strip, and create walkways (not open to the sky type street level walkways, but rather have people go up 6 steps, walk through the terminal, and then back down a set to the street on the other side), and make Smallman not so dangerous to cross. With a new garage, parking on Smallman could be eliminated, with one lane of traffic flowing in each direction, with a parklet in the middle of the street on each block, kinda like how it is set up near Hoffbrau. Imagine sitting outside, dining on food you just bought in the Strip, while looking up at St. Stanislaus Church, with a bustling produce terminal running the length of it all....closest we can come to a real European plaza...

However, if climbing 6 steps and walking through a skinny building is enough to keep people away then I am at a loss....

Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I'm still a bit lost here. I believe the Buncher plan has development on the entire parcel back to the trail, including the parking lots on Railroad Way. There's nothing there right now besides parking.

I don't really see the need for a Pike's Place down there unless - as one of the proposals notes, it's a "food incubator" - entrepreneurs launching new businesses instead of existing business going in there. That would be novel and exciting and keep things fresh. The old PPM was not particularly interesting (and the new one up on 25th and Penn is downright dull except for East End Brewing).

So what are the alternative uses for the Railroad Way section behind the terminal? That's the more interesting part of the discussion IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh