Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:45 PM

100 posts, read 307,654 times

Advertisements

ever since google added pittsburgh to their street view maps, i've spent way too much time exploring this great city. one thing i've noticed is that i've yet to see a single light rail car on any of the tracks. most of the photos seem to be taken shortly after dawn, so i guess this could have a lot to do with it. but about how often do they run and do people make good use of the trains? thanks.

Last edited by coronadeluxe; 12-02-2007 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
Hey!

Can you explain how to use google to see Pgh? I would appreciate it!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:36 PM

25 posts, read 71,758 times
go to google maps, you'll see north america. select the "street view" button and a little camera will appear over any city with street views. pittsburgh is one! zoom in and any blue-highlighted roads can be clicked and a street view bubble window will pop up.

as for the light rail, you can get info here:
Port Authority of Allegheny County

and here:
System Map
http://www.portauthority.org/PAAC/Portals/0/system_map.pdf (broken link)

pittsburgh only has one light rail leg... also some bus-only expressways (busways).

Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,566 times
I don't know how much people use the tram, but I can tell you it doesn't go to enough locations.

They are extending it to the North Shore area (probably to help people commute to the gambling area that's going up). But they need to extend it to areas that would make better use - like Oakland and Squirrel Hill. If only they would!

I think those are the areas that would make best use of it. I myself live in the North Hills. Another area where the tram doesn't go...

Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM

15 posts, read 23,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
ever since google added pittsburgh to their street view maps, i've spent way too much time exploring this great city. one thing i've noticed is that i've yet to see a single light rail car on any of the tracks. most of the photos seem to be taken shortly after dawn, so i guess this could have a lot to do with it. but about how often do they run and do people make good use of the trains? thanks.
Lots of people use it in the South Hills area. They use the parking garage at the South Hills Village Mall and ride it downtown for work M-F and also use it for Penguins/Steelers/Pirates games too.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I used to work at Port Authority and was there when the present light rail system was built. It was essentially an update to the old South Hills trolley lines, and they added a subway in the downtown area to get the trolleys out of the surface congestion. The system was upgraded to modern light rail standards in phases between the early 80s and 90s, and now has about 23 miles of lines. This was all done in the South Hills because Port Authority already owned the private right of way and didn't have to buy much land. The only section where the vehicles are on surface streets is through Beechview.

The line they are building now to the north side is essentially a first leg that could split and go north and to the airport. But because of the laborious process involved in securing federal dollars for these capital projects, it will be decades before it is extended.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:51 AM

thanks for the information here! its more than i hoped for!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:44 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
Lots of people use it in the South Hills area. They use the parking garage at the South Hills Village Mall and ride it downtown for work M-F and also use it for Penguins/Steelers/Pirates games too.
It mostly goes to the South Hills, but is actually heavily used for workers to and from South Hills and downtown. I used to work at South Hills Village mall and used it quite often and it was VERY busy during rush hour.

It is free to use if you are traveling downtown to downtown, how about that!! I use it frequently uptown at Steel City Plaza and get dropped off in the culture district at Wood Street.

It is used a lot for Penguin games, but not sure how people are using it too much for Steeler or Pirate games, considering the light rail doesn't extend to the North Shore (YET!).

A lot of youths also use it to get to and from Station Square.

There is also talk now on the table to extend it to the airport and into Oakland, two fantastic ideas, but I'm not sure how serious the talks are, I imagine not very.

Last edited by guylocke; 12-03-2007 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,264 times
To use the Sim City example again, I hope the #1 priority of the city/region is improving the economy. Everything else can just...wait. It may require painful short-term sacrifices for the sake of long-term growth. The Port Authority is far in the red already, so it's unlikely that the light rail network will be extended any time soon, sad to say. If anything, there have been talks of cutting some service.

I really think the region needs some radical new leadership. I don't care about party affiliation...we just need a new and more efficient way of doing things...and fast.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM

This does add one point for the southside here, verses the east for ideas on where to buy a home, I think its awesome and I hope one day they do expand it for everyone to use, sorta like DC! Now that would be cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh