Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:23 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,894,543 times

Advertisements

they are saying half a foot between sunday night into early Monday. So far I haven't had issues with driving around the city, so this will be my potentially first dump of a lot of snow within the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,944,599 times
The first back-to-back storms in January delivered 6" and 4" to my driveway. I measured. So I wouldn't call this the first "big" storm. Maybe the city missed the brunt of those.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The first back-to-back storms in January delivered 6" and 4" to my driveway. I measured. So I wouldn't call this the first "big" storm. Maybe the city missed the brunt of those.

yeah, most of the storms have gone either north or south of the city.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,590,072 times
The amount of snowfall largely depends on whether or not any sleet mixes in, and the duration of the sleet if it does, because sleet suppresses total snow accumulation. If precipitation changes to all sleet for a time, then that will subtract a few inches instantly, though it will still obviously be icy and treacherous. A snow/sleet mix can subtract an inch or two. If it stays all snow, then Pittsburgh will get the mother load out of this storm, unless it tracks slightly further south than forecast. A difference in as little as 50 miles in the track of the storm can mean the difference between 12" and 6" of snow.

It's still about 72 hours out, so we're just now getting an idea of what's in store, but the forecast right now indicates all snow north of I-70, with sleet mixing in south of I-70. It looks like West Virginia won't get much snow outside of the northern panhandle, but they appear to be in line for the brunt of the sleet and freezing rain. In fact, it could be a crippling ice storm for them. The heaviest snow appears to be forecast across most of Pennsylvania, and into northern New Jersey. Of the coastal cities, New York appears to be in the crosshairs for the heaviest snow. Boston appears to be on the northern edge of the significant snow, and Philadelphia will probably be dealing with a snow/sleet mix. Washington DC and Baltimore are in line for an ice storm.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:09 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,073,908 times
Well, it's March, you know.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 AM

welli don't have a shovel if we get a foot of snow, though I think my car can plow through it.

if we get it, then commute to class Monday will suck.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,959,296 times
I know there are a few snow lovers on the forum. For you guys, I'm happy that you finally got your big storm. Enjoy skiing, making snowmen, sledding, etc. For the rest of you, my sympathies! Seems like this winter just doesn't want to let go.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I know there are a few snow lovers on the forum. For you guys, I'm happy that you finally got your big storm. Enjoy skiing, making snowmen, sledding, etc. For the rest of you, my sympathies! Seems like this winter just doesn't want to let go.
Just got back from Bradenton last night. One reason to use PitStop for airport parking is that right after you call, they start your car up so it's fully heated by the time you get to their lot. That was greatly appreciated last night since neither of us had any winter clothes, just layers of light sweaters and windbreakers.

Both my wife and I have always had disdain for the idea of living in Florida because we always felt that was like having one foot in the grave. But we found ourselves talking about it on this trip. An old boss of mine moved to Maderia Beach a few years ago, we went there for dinner Mon night. Took us for a spin on his boat, watched some dolphins playing, ate really fresh fruit and fish and thought to ourselves, "why in hell are we still shoveling snow in our 50s?".

Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Just got back from Bradenton last night. One reason to use PitStop for airport parking is that right after you call, they start your car up so it's fully heated by the time you get to their lot. That was greatly appreciated last night since neither of us had any winter clothes, just layers of light sweaters and windbreakers.

Both my wife and I have always had disdain for the idea of living in Florida because we always felt that was like having one foot in the grave. But we found ourselves talking about it on this trip. An old boss of mine moved to Maderia Beach a few years ago, we went there for dinner Mon night. Took us for a spin on his boat, watched some dolphins playing, ate really fresh fruit and fish and thought to ourselves, "why in hell are we still shoveling snow in our 50s?".

because you want to open a pizza joint in the city

Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
because you want to open a pizza joint in the city
Well they do need better pizza in Florida too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh