Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:32 AM

10 posts, read 12,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastanug View Post
I'm offering you truly heartfelt advice with what I'm about to say, despite the fact that I'm sure it's not what you want to hear. I understand that at your ages, Pittsburgh and the Tom Savini school in Monessen might sound incredibly enticing to a young couple who lives in Missouri and just wants to get the hell out of there. I totally understand. I've been to Missouri plenty of times myself, and I can completely relate. Having said that.....

Before I recommend that you move to West Mifflin of all places (gag), I'd like to recommend that you weigh other options before committing to relocating to Pittsburgh of all places. Cities like Austin, Boulder or Tuscon would probably offer you way more in the way of what you're looking for. Not to be a dick, but Tom Savini's School? Are you kidding me???? Most of the people affiliated with that place are anchored to Pittsburgh either play-acting like they're these ultra-hip "filmmakers" (ironically known very little outside of Pittsburgh), or they're spottily employed at best zombie makeup artists / actors / etc. This isn't Hollywood (or even the San Fernando valley for that matter), and more than likely within less than a year you two will have realized that you've made a huge mistake. My advice: Don't do it.

A lot of these other posters don't seem to care, and just like the idea of enticing yet another starry-eyed young couple into this decaying city's clutches. The ultimate choice however, is yours and yours alone. I'm not much for quotes, but in this case, it's deserving:

“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider to the Fly, 'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy"

I appreciate the honesty. That really surprises me as I have never heard anything but good about Tom savinis school! That school is the whole reason for our relocation. My fiancé has been into special effects makeup since he was a kid and he's pretty good at it! We chose this school because its closer to home than any other special effects schools we have found. We also are under the impression it's one of the best. Hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess88 View Post
I appreciate the honesty. That really surprises me as I have never heard anything but good about Tom savinis school! That school is the whole reason for our relocation. My fiancé has been into special effects makeup since he was a kid and he's pretty good at it! We chose this school because its closer to home than any other special effects schools we have found. We also are under the impression it's one of the best. Hmm.
That poster had a new User name and very few rep points so don't take him seriously. While I don't know much about that school, I'm going under the somewhat obvious impression that the poster is a troll again.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
To be fair, they are looking to buy in a trailer park, so they're not really expecting trendy and upscale.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
They don't need trendy and upscale, but they want safe.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
This post is a little side tracked but I'll say it just to be clear.
Braddock is not that bad statistically when it comes to crime. In reality, Braddock's numbers may be skewed, but statistically Braddock is not as Godforsaken as some people here would think. Though from what I know Braddock is not the type of place where neighbors do wrong by each other and criminals mainly go after other criminals.
Braddock's reputation is often derived from it's blight and state of disrepair. Some people remember how bad the town was during the late 80's-mid 90's or back from 2000 to 2008- when the borough had almost ten murders and many more non-fatal shootings. Though these days crime has really dropped.
That still doesn't mean I would recommended Braddock, southern North Braddock or even nearby Rankin to anyone unless it was their last resort. Braddock may not have statistically bad crime but besides the bad school district, it has: a major gang/drug problem which doesn't logically match its crime stats, a notable blight/rust/urban decay/litter problem and a major stigma.
McKeesport's worst areas are worse off than Braddock so I agree with Sealtite to some degree here.

McKeesport is mostly safe and those areas are fine... If you find something there go for it.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:16 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Braddock is not that bad statistically when it comes to crime. In reality, Braddock's numbers may be skewed, but statistically Braddock is not as Godforsaken as some people here would think. Though from what I know Braddock is not the type of place where neighbors do wrong by each other and criminals mainly go after other criminals.
Braddock's reputation is often derived from it's blight and state of disrepair. Some people remember how bad the town was during the late 80's-mid 90's or back from 2000 to 2008- when the borough had almost ten murders and many more non-fatal shootings. Though these days crime has really dropped.
That still doesn't mean I would recommended Braddock, southern North Braddock or even nearby Rankin to anyone unless it was their last resort. Braddock may not have statistically bad crime but besides the bad school district, it has: a major gang/drug problem which doesn't logically match its crime stats, a notable blight/rust/urban decay/litter problem and a major stigma.
McKeesport's worst areas are worse off than Braddock so I agree with Sealtite to some degree here.

McKeesport is mostly safe and those areas are fine... If you find something there go for it.

this is pretty much what i have heard from uptown, which is why i said ok. Thanks man.

ps: how has uptown kid NOT gotten 5x the reps?????

Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I'd just like to say that moving to attend an FX school to chase your dreams is cool as hell.

With that being said, I have me Tom twice and he's not the nicest guy. I have also met Greg Nicotero and he wasn't the friendliest dude either. Dem Pixburgh FX guys are a buncha jags' ya know?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
If you are planning to go to school close to the city, I would look at West Mifflin in the vicinity of the Allegheny County Airport. This puts your fiancé with easy access to the Mon-Fayette Expressway and gives you a relatively short commute into the city. You might want to look at California University of PA, which would change the recommendation. California University and Monessen are only 15-20 minutes apart.

Thank you for telling me about CalU! Not sure why the school never popped up in google. Anyways we are really looking into it because less commute would be amazing. Do you know anything about the Belle Vernon area?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They don't need trendy and upscale, but they want safe.

Yes, coming from a smaller town ourselves we defiantly don't need trendy and upscale. That being said, it'd be nice to not be murdered haha so safety is important. We live in a part of the country that's known as the biggest place for meth busts so we can tolerate druggies as long as its not violent or too sketch.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

Thank you for your knowledge! Ill keep that in mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh