Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Those are all college counties---just students heading off to college.
probably both for immigration and outmigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why else would a thousand people move to state college's county? The numbers are low because most college students who stay in state probably leave their permanent address at their parents' houses. Erie has a Penn State campus. Lots of Pittsburghers who don't get into main campus head to Erie because it's close to home. Cambria County is Edinboro University. Indiana County is Indiana University. Large numbers of Pittsburghers aren't moving to these areas for employment or retirement. These are college students. As for Philly, it's probably employment and college. Heavenwood is from Philly, attended school in Pittsburgh, and headed back to Philly in resent years. He's one of those numbers too.
Edinboro University is in Erie county as well as LECOM, Gannon University, Mercyhurst University, and Penn State Behrend, which is actually Penn State's largest branch campus. What you were saying about Pittsburghers who didn't get into Penn State main is probably true in the past, but Penn State Behrend is now really kind of a stand alone university similar to the University of Minnesota Duluth. Penn State Behrend has some very well respected undergraduate programs like engineering and a well respected MBA program. Also, certain engineering majors are only offered at the Behrend campus so if you want to major in Plastics Engineering Technology for instance and get a degree from Penn State you are going to Behrend and not the main campus.

If the numbers posted above included college students, I would be very surprised because there are significant numbers of Pittsburgh area college students studying in Erie. Also, I have actually met several retirees from Pittsburgh who live in Erie during the summer and Florida during the winter. Erie is still relatively cheap, especially if you are retiring from a more expensive area like Pittsburgh. Plus the summers in Erie are very nice and there is a ton of stuff going on that appeals to retirees. If the waterfront in Erie is ever re-developed with some waterfront condos, restaurants, and shopping, I could definitely see more retirees from Pittsburgh coming to Erie.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Sorry to be a pest, but again--where does this data come from? I can't seem to figure it out.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
The data comes from the 2011 American Community Survey done by the U.S. Census Bureau.

By the way, I just got done tallying the migration flows that the Pittsburgh MSA has with all 19 other Northeastern and Midwestern MSAs with 1,000,000+ population. Here are the numbers:

5,780 - Philadelphia
4,398 - New York
4,184 - Washington DC

2,408 - Chicago
1,650 - Columbus

1,579 - Baltimore
1,310 - Cleveland
1,235 - Boston
803 - Cincinnati
517 - Minneapolis/St. Paul

480 - Buffalo
471 - Rochester

453 - Detroit
340 - Indianapolis
328 - St. Louis

313 - Providence
311 - Hartford

169 - Milwaukee
167 - Kansas City

18,751 - Northeastern MSAs
8,145 - Midwestern MSAs

Interestingly, Pittsburgh exchanges more people with each of its top three MSAs individually than it does with all three major Ohio MSAs combined (3,763).

Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Why just the NE and midwest? According to that slide show (which interrupted with an ad every few slides) among the top 50 were counties in Oregon (surprising to me outside of Portland, California, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia and Florida.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The data comes from the 2011 American Community Survey done by the U.S. Census Bureau.

By the way, I just got done tallying the migration flows that the Pittsburgh MSA has with all 19 other Northeastern and Midwestern MSAs with 1,000,000+ population. Here are the numbers:
Gnutella, are those total exchange numbers, in and out? People coming in? People exiting?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why just the NE and midwest? According to that slide show (which interrupted with an ad every few slides) among the top 50 were counties in Oregon (surprising to me outside of Portland, California, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia and Florida.
Because I don't have time to do all 51 major MSAs right now, so you're just going to have to live with what I post. The process is actually very tedious and time-consuming, and it involves memorizing every county in every major MSA to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Gnutella, are those total exchange numbers, in and out? People coming in? People exiting?
Yes, total coming and going.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
I could've answer this: DC area. I see many bars of "steeler country" out there.

hell I could've told you, based on my degree: DC! or TX,CA. anywhere where IT folks go to for better money

Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Because I don't have time to do all 51 major MSAs right now, so you're just going to have to live with what I post. The process is actually very tedious and time-consuming, and it involves memorizing every county in every major MSA to boot.

Yes, total coming and going.
Well, sorry! I know doing that stuff is tedious, but you do these type of lists often, so I thought you liked doing them. After all, City-Data is not your job. I'd assume anything you post is of your own free will.

It looks like a lot of Pittsburghers do move to Cali, Oregon, Arizona, NC, Florida, and Colorado; more than move to Buffalo, Rochester, Cincy, Detroit, Indy, St. Louis, Milwaukee or KC.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:18 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, sorry! I know doing that stuff is tedious, but you do these type of lists often, so I thought you liked doing them. After all, City-Data is not your job. I'd assume anything you post is of your own free will.

It looks like a lot of Pittsburghers do move to Cali, Oregon, Arizona, NC, Florida, and Colorado; more than move to Buffalo, Rochester, Cincy, Detroit, Indy, St. Louis, Milwaukee or KC.
Cleveland, columbus and morgantown appear to import a lot of pittsburghers. They are close cities for those who want to live nearby and cannot find a job in the burgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh