Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times

Advertisements

The Pittsburgh Press - Google News Archive Search

This is not a new phenomenon here in Pittsburgh, it was old news in 1968. And the cab companies, both Yellow and People's Cab (which had 80 cars then) didn't like it at all.

I've always had my own car, so I've had little opportunity to need the services of jitneys- although I did use them on occasion in the 90's when I lived on the North Side. Guys used to hang out near where Sears was, as well as the Cedar Ave. Giant Eagle.

I don't know if they are still running on the Hill District bus routes competing with the Port Authority, although they certainly did when I was a younger man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
The bus line jitneys are gone. There used to be street just off of Centre and Kirkpatrick, where cars used to line up, and people would walk up to get a car. This went away about 15 years ago. There were jitneys running the trolley line over 100 years ago, and Pittsburgh Railways complained about it. You can find articles if you search. Jitneys in Pittsburgh as a black thing, dates to the 1940's, when Mississippi native Silas Knox moved here after living for a while in St. Louis, and surprised that there were no jitneys on the Hill, started the first jitney station in Pittsburgh. Knox later formed Owl Cab Co., and tried to get the jitneys he had started banned. He was murdered in his Centre Ave. store 27 years ago.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=1366,408074

Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The bus line jitneys are gone.

I don't know if they are totally gone, I was on 5th Avenue at 5 p.m. last Thursday and an older driver honked his horn and picked up a couple of middle aged African American women with shopping bags at the bus stop in front of Piatt Place.

I wasn't privy to the verbal interaction between the parties, but it sure looked he was jitneying- although I guess it might not have been.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:17 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,380 times
I guess the pink mustache rides have motivated the cabbies. I see more cabs around the city now than ever.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I guess the pink mustache rides have motivated the cabbies. I see more cabs around the city now than ever.

Yellow Cab is able to lease more cabs, and you'll see more on the road, if business increases.

If your antidotal report is correct, YC's are getting more trips, and more money. The drivers don't bother leasing if there aren't folks out there looking to hire them.

Remember that Yellow Cab doesn't pay its drivers a nickel.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM

8 posts, read 8,290 times
Jitneys are illegal cab services, and you shouldn't patronize them. Anyone who says that patronizing Jitney cabs in Pittsburgh is a good idea is openly advocating committing a crime.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowman View Post
Jitneys are illegal cab services, and you shouldn't patronize them. Anyone who says that patronizing Jitney cabs in Pittsburgh is a good idea is openly advocating committing a crime.
Yes, but Jitney services are the only way for many low income people to get to the places that aren't served with public transportation. You also have to remember that as the poverty is being pushed out of the city core, they are forced to live in areas that aren't well served with public transportation.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 PM

146 posts, read 133,734 times
Quote:
Everything is a crime in America nowadays. At 2 years old I thought it was funny to harass the pigeons in Market Square. PETA would have me hung for that today. Laws really have little meaning anymore due to the fact that they are selectively enforced. Illegal immigration laws are not popular with certain political groups, so they are ignored. Laws against gay marriage are not popular with certain political groups, so they are ignored. Laws protecting private ownership of guns are not popular with certain political groups, so that is ignored. Some laws are popular and followed, others are ignored due to political reasons. Jitney laws will be ignored by me.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:14 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Quote:
Try getting a cab to come to Homewood at 2am, or one to come to Giant Eagle to haul your groceries 3 blocks.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:59 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
did anyone check out the front page? "Actress Shoots Pop-Artist Warhol".....yes, THAT Warhol!

it would be fascinating if there were any steelers information in that June issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh