Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 PM

65 posts, read 87,771 times

Advertisements

I never appreciated the water here nor appreciated bottled water until I experienced hard water with a strong iron taste in the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
I'd have to filter just about anything at this point. After years of bottled or filtered I can taste pretty small amounts of chlorine. I use my tap water, but with a PUR filter on the tap. I can't remember the last time I tasted it straight. Up here it's actually not from a big river source but fed by smaller springs so in theory could be better tasting, but after the various things they do for safety reasons any taste advantage might be gone.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan View Post
I never appreciated the water here nor appreciated bottled water until I experienced hard water with a strong iron taste in the midwest.
Try Florida. Ugh, that is nasty. You can barely brush your teeth in it, let alone drink it out of the tap!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,357,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Try Florida. Ugh, that is nasty. You can barely brush your teeth in it, let alone drink it out of the tap!
Especially in the middle of the state. Bad water sent through 45 miles of pipes doesn't get any better.

Yeah, Pensfan is right. People who think the water here is bad have never had bad water.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
when i gave up soft drinks for good a few years back, i was crazed with bottled water. i cant believe how much i spent, and how much aggravation i had, to recycle all these plastic bottles (i was living somewhere that did not have curbside recycling - who is 'backwards and non-forward thinking now??).

pittsburgh tap water is perfectly fine. strangely, i find i do NOT like west view water. maybe it was just at the house where i was.

Several times during my 6 years there it came through the faucet brown and dirty.

this usually follows a service shutdown, which usually is because of a water line failure. was that the case, if you remember, I_Like_Spam?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 PM

632 posts, read 852,953 times
Depends on where in town you live.

The water from the City of Pittsburgh Waterworks by Route 28 is excellent. Good tasting.
I have actually seen surveys where it is highly rated for taste and quality. That water
comes from the Allegheny River, which has less industry along its length than the other two.

My water comes from American Water's plant on Beck's Run Road. It comes out of the
Monongahela. It is harder than city water, and does not taste quite as good. Not bad,
but I can tell the difference when I visit my parents and have the city water.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

Several times during my 6 years there it came through the faucet brown and dirty.

this usually follows a service shutdown, which usually is because of a water line failure. was that the case, if you remember, I_Like_Spam?

I called West View Water when it happened, the explanation was they were flushing out the lines.

I think it may have had something to do with the proximity of the apartment on Laurel Ave. with West View's water intake on the Ohio.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Anytime our water turns brown it's due to a water main break. It doesn't last long if you stop using the water until the water main is repaired. Using the water causes the brown water to fill your hot water tank, which extends the time brown water comes out of the tap.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:02 AM

632 posts, read 852,953 times
I lived in Michigan for a few years with exceptionally nasty well water.
It looked and tasted like a rusty nail. There were no blondes in town,
only oranges.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM

310 posts, read 371,278 times
My tap water in N. Oakland isnt the most fabulous tasting. You could tell that it'd be better filtered, but its clear and drinkable. My friend lives in Forrest Hills and their water is always cloudy and has weird particles in it .. bleh she says its normal compared to Indiana County. To each their own, right? haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh