Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,576,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post

I had one great-grandfather who married a woman who was German, and.....a Lutheran!
It was apparently the major neighborhood scandal of 1905!
Did you ever see the movie Sweet Land? Same premise, but a Norwegian farmer who post WWI had an arranged marriage with a German mail order bride. The town was scandalized, the Lutheran minister refused to marry them, so they cohabited and scandalized the town some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 PM

419 posts, read 548,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
You are welcome, as long as you are a Big Dumb White Guy, or Amish, hey, we take anyone.
I'm a Big Dumb Amish White Guy... Do I need to bring a parking chair with me to McCandless?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The title of this topic asks why Pittsburghers believe that the earth is the center of the universe.
Yeah, I think the proper term for the OP to use is "provincial" but that's really not a word you can use without coming across as a snob.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I'm a Big Dumb Amish White Guy... Do I need to bring a parking chair with me to McCandless?

Yes, but watch out for the English.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
I think beyond racial segregation, cities like Pittsburgh (and, I have heard, Milwaukee) developed with very intense ethnic segregation. Very defined and distinct Irish neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods,
Polish neighborhoods, etc. Those groups tended to hang together around ethnic identities and resist
outsiders. I remember as a kid hearing some of my old Irish relatives toss around the most awful
slurs about Poles and Italians....and no doubt they were doing the same to us.

A good example was where I grew up, we had two funeral homes....the Irish one and the Italian one.
If you died and you were Irish, you were buried from Parlor A. If you were Italian, Parlor B. I remember my great uncle died, and he had had some sort of falling out with the owner of the Irish funeral home.
It was something of a neighborhood scandal when he was laid out across the street at the Italian place.

I never heard my old Irish relatives throw out the "N" word, but if they had, no doubt they would not have regarded that any differently than the slurs they routinely used on Poles and Italians.
Actually, I never thought Pittsburgh was so rigidly ethnic in its neighborhoods as some other cities, at least by the time I lived there in the 70s. Beaver Falls certainly was not segregated by ethnicity, even when I was a kid in the 50s. By the time my parents' generation married in the 1940s after WW II, the various ethnic groups intermarried freely.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:09 AM

458 posts, read 653,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
So what causes this? Is it our (very real) geographic divides? Is it years and years of these attitudes not only being passed from one generation to the next but to people who move here as well? Is it the toughness of mobility from one place to the next (whether it be traffic, lack of public transit, terrible road layout, etc.)?
As a transplant, as an experienced driver and a driving enthusiast, and as someone who may find something difficult initially, but allows things to become easier as I do them, I'll never understand why people in this region make driving so difficult. No, the city isn't laid out in the typical grid format, but the more you drive or navigate downtown, the easier it should become.

I can never even remotely imagine hills, valleys, rivers, bridges, tunnels, or poor road conditions keeping me from getting anywhere.

We live off of Penn Ave near the border of the city and Wilkinsburg. Everything we need, from shopping, dinning and recreation, is all within walking or bike riding distance from our home. However, we enjoy doing all the same things in the Mexican War Streets, South Side, South Hills, Cranberry, etc.........there's way to much to take advantage to limit yourself to where you live.

Pittsburgh drivers have been voted "most polite" a few times since I've lived here, my opinion is that the whole "polite" thing is takent too far. People need to worry more about keeping themselves moving and a little less about letting an entire neighborhood in to traffic.

Merging........why is this so difficult? I constantly feel like I'm on the road with people who are fresh out of their first day of driving school.

Just keep moving for God's sake

Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 AM

632 posts, read 848,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post

I want to get out of my niche here and experience other neighborhoods. It's like living in a box and this thread is inspiring me to be less provincial. Maybe I'll move next door to you in McCandless.
How you gonna keep 'em down in Roslyn Farms after they've seen McCandless?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,008,150 times
watch yerself round them parts in 'Candless - all those city cops moving out that way watching yer every move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh