U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,339,870 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share this link about Project 22, an upcoming documentary on PTSD in Veterans, particularly focusing on the high rate of suicide in Vets, recently noted as 22 each day by a 2013 VA study (which is where the name Project 22 comes from). A good portion of the filming was done in Pittsburgh and the film features interviews with Duquesne University Professor Dr. Roger Brooke, Al Mercer of the Veterans Leadership Program in the South Side, and veterans from the Pittsburgh area including Steelers legend Rocky Bleier (who you will catch a glimpse of in the trailer).

"Last year, two combat-wounded Veterans set off on a motorcycle journey across America interviewing Veterans, many of whom had contemplated or attempted suicide, researchers and healthcare providers. Their mission was to raise awareness of the high rate of suicide amongst Veterans and, more importantly, highlight the sources of hope that other Veterans had found. Supported by fundraising efforts and the kindness of many, Dan and Doc were able to film a feature length, non-profit documentary that melds a motorcycle road-trip with a hard-hitting and inspirational documentary."

see the trailer at Project 22 | Trailer | 2014 on Vimeo

Project 22 | Medicinal Missions

The non profit nature of the film leaves it with a very limited marketing budget, so they are counting on social media and related avenues to help it reach people, so please feel free to share it with anyone who might be interested in this important topic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM

16,188 posts, read 39,369,918 times
I'd like to see that, just to see Pittsburgh in the film.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 100,586,026 times
I saw this ad on Craig's List tonight.

recent veteran seeks shelter, food, job,a friend, chance at life (pittsburgh)

Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 AM

7,541 posts, read 9,272,429 times
War veterans who are suffering from injuries or PTSD from combat certainly are deserving of what help they need to recover.

But, America has had millions of veterans through our many wars, the vast majority of veterans recover just fine.

This kind of effort is necessary, but should be kept rather low-key, sometimes I think that this kind of thing might give some of the public the idea that "most" veterans have psychological problems.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 AM

733 posts, read 905,161 times
No offense, but it is kind of a huge deal that affects a really large number of our veterans:

Michael Friedman, L.M.S.W.: Stunning Numbers of Veterans Suffer Psychological Problems, With No Support

I personally believe this stuff should be publicized way more, alongside the sickening sexual assault statistics in the armed forces.

I grew up in an area where the high schools were extremely heavily farmed by the armed forces, and I now know a healthy number of people my age (27) who have a really hard time living post-service.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 AM

50 posts, read 61,039 times
Well said CaptainPittsburgh.

Keeping things "low key" only fuels the stigma of PTSD and other mental disorders.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,414,527 times
Something else people might not know about:
A few years ago the VA was strongly encouraging mental health professionals to NOT give a diagnosis of PTSD because it was costing too much VA money. This eventually turned into a Senate investigation. There was an excellent book called Soldier From the War Returning describing several WWII vets' stories, going against the myth that they came home and adapted with no real negative effects. So this is a huge deal that gets swept under the rug.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 100,586,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
But, America has had millions of veterans through our many wars, the vast majority of veterans recover just fine.
31% of American veterans have PTSD. That's huge.

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that PTSD afflicts:
•Almost 31 percent of Vietnam veterans
•As many as 10 percent of Gulf War (Desert Storm) veterans
•11 percent of veterans of the war in Afghanistan
•20 percent of Iraqi war veterans

Feature: Post Traumatic Stres Disorder PTSD: A Growing Epidemic / Neuroscience and PTSD Treatments

Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,233,836 times
My uncle, a WWII vet, was diagnosed with PTSD very late in life. Vets from other wars have it. It just wasn't diagnosed the way it is now. Another close family member of mine has PTSD from trauma, not war. It is something that deserves attention and treatment.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:06 PM

5,037 posts, read 4,946,973 times
We need to put more money into Mental health in general. But for vets, we should be giving them whatever they need ; after all, they fought for our country, put their lives on the line and now have to fight for help.
My friends husband committed suicide only last year while they were abroad. While the help was awesome initially, it is horrendous that he went to that extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh