Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 05:59 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,965,334 times

Advertisements

AlphaLab of Pittsburgh was came in #6 nationally in a ranking of the best tech startup accelerators in a study presented yesterday at the South by South West (SXSW) conference this week.

The ranking was "compiled by researchers Yael Hochberg, a faculty member at the MIT Sloan School of Management, and Susan Cohen of the University of Richmond and the Batten Institute at the University of Virginia's Darden School of Business.":
Quote:
Using data from CrunchBase, a free database of technology companies, people and investors, the rankings reflect how accelerators performed in a series of categories, including the valuations their portfolio companies achieved in the years after graduation, the number of exits an accelerator has had; the ability of companies to receive additional financing after they left an accelerator program, the percentage of an accelerator’s portfolio that was still in operation, the opinion venture investors have of the accelerator program and the opinion that graduating entrepreneurs had of their experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 03:51 PM

14,172 posts, read 22,624,303 times
I'm lazy. What were the top five?

Old 03-14-2014, 04:05 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,843,409 times
I thought SXSW was a music festival.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:17 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,852,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Thats immediately what I thought of

Old 03-14-2014, 04:54 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,578,970 times
It is. It's music and movies but also tech. Or as they call it, Interactive.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:58 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,688,876 times
SXSW is a two-part festival, with the first week being dedicated to technology and marketing panels. I think the second week is more music/party oriented. My company sends people down every year for the technology component. This is a pretty big deal. I didn't realize AlphaLab was climbing the ranks like that.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,899,186 times
ive never heard ppl talk about sxsw as other than a music festival, but interesting its a technology thing too though i dont get it.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,965,334 times
Quote:
SXSW Interactive (The tech part of the festival) has been around for fifteen years now. It's one of the biggest tech events of the year and seen as a way for local startups to get national attention. The fact that a Pittsburgh start-up incubator is a the same level as Silicon Valley organizations like Y Combinator and AngelPad is a pretty big deal.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,099,157 times
Quote:
Music, film, and technology. I just happen to be in Austin right now. Pittsburgh's movers and shakers should visit...and take some notes. Austin's nightlife is pretty amazing. Austin reminds me of San Francisco, active streetlife and very artsy. They also have a trail by its river, but it doesn't seem to embrace the river as much as it could. Nothing bad, just seems like they could do more.

Probably not too easy, but how could Pittsburgh have a significant conference like SXSW or ComicCon? SXSW is a major event in Austin, some places are even closed to do a deep cleaning now that it's over. I saw somewhere that today is Hangover day in Austin. I guess Houston's big even is Rodeo, but it's not like SXSW.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,157,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Music, film, and technology. I just happen to be in Austin right now. Pittsburgh's movers and shakers should visit...and take some notes. Austin's nightlife is pretty amazing. Austin reminds me of San Francisco, active streetlife and very artsy. They also have a trail by its river, but it doesn't seem to embrace the river as much as it could. Nothing bad, just seems like they could do more.

Probably not too easy, but how could Pittsburgh have a significant conference like SXSW or ComicCon? SXSW is a major event in Austin, some places are even closed to do a deep cleaning now that it's over. I saw somewhere that today is Hangover day in Austin. I guess Houston's big even is Rodeo, but it's not like SXSW.
The problem with Austin is that it is blazing hot with 90% humidity from ~May to ~October.
And the on-ramps for I-35 are beyond terrifying.
Back to SXSW...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh