Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
IThere's only one thing I don't like about it. Can anyone guess what it is?
The street is somewhat busy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:02 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Isn't Mme. Eschaton an architect? Couldn't you bring her over for a stealth visit--tell her you're watering plants for someone at work, and ask her to come with? How could someone -- especially someone who purports to love houses -- not love this one?
My wife's parents live in the South Hills, and are both entering their 70s. She feels like it's a requirement our next house is at least a marginally shorter drive to them than Lawrenceville. She's marginally interested in some houses in the lower Northside (she wants to see one now actually) but she has no interest in anything in Brighton Heights or Observatory Hill.

Sadly, the only neighborhoods with similar sort of big beautiful historic houses south of the Mon are all blighted to severely declining now (e.g., Knoxville, Mount Oliver, and parts of Carrick).

Quote:
There's only one thing I don't like about it. Can anyone guess what it is?
The only big flaw I see is they painted the wood trim in the living room.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
I have no interest in the likes of Westwood or Lincoln Place.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My wife's parents live in the South Hills, and are both entering their 70s. She feels like it's a requirement our next house is at least a marginally shorter drive to them than Lawrenceville. She's marginally interested in some houses in the lower Northside (she wants to see one now actually) but she has no interest in anything in Brighton Heights or Observatory Hill.

Sadly, the only neighborhoods with similar sort of big beautiful historic houses south of the Mon are all blighted to severely declining now (e.g., Knoxville, Mount Oliver, and parts of Carrick).

The only big flaw I see is they painted the wood trim in the living room.
Forgive me, because as a newcomer, I'm still geographically challenged, but isn't Crafton not far from the South Hills? Lots of big beautiful houses here. I just posted a listing for one near me earlier in this thread. You could make a lowball offer and see what happens.

You have young kids, right? My next door neighbors just had their first baby, there's a family with five kids ranging in age from four to early teens across the street, another four year old a few doors up, and a young teen next door to me on the other side. And that's just my end of the block!

I've become a cheerleader for this town.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I have no interest in the likes of Westwood or Lincoln Place.

You don't like this? a block away from a city park, short walk down to the shopping center and the Antney Ice Cream parlor and still just a short trip into the city.

1917 Kearns Avenue, Pittsburgh PA - Trulia

Old 03-14-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You don't like this? a block away from a city park, short walk down to the shopping center and the Antney Ice Cream parlor and still just a short trip into the city.

1917 Kearns Avenue, Pittsburgh PA - Trulia
OMG, I had no idea that was the name of that neighborhood! Now that I think of it, there are some banners on Noblestown Rd promoting Westwood. I live so close by. For people who prefer newer than the 1900 era housing stock that's available in Crafton, this area would be perfect. Antney's alone is reason to live there. It's plenty hilly so you can burn off the calories walking home.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:15 AM

876 posts, read 1,144,382 times
A few more places within city limits (or just outside) that appear to be in pretty good shape in the 60-90K range:

- A cape cod in Beechview that I believe is under agreement now, but HOLY HELL LOOK AT THAT KITCHEN!

- Classic little Pittsburgh house in Bellevue that looks like it could stand some kitchen work, but is otherwise lovely.

- Similar looking place in Brookline, on the Blvd, between Memorial Park the business district.

- Interesting mid-century place in shamefully under-appreciated Sugar Top.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Those are cool looking stairs!

I like the dream house in Brighton Heights, too. What doesn't Jay like? Hmmmm.... my guess is that plaster cupid staring down from the ceiling moulding. Can't decide if he has character or is a little creepy. But the rest of the house is so cool I would be able to handle Cupie. Or maybe put a paper bag on his head so I wouldn't see those eyes staring out at me through the dark when I get up for my pre dawn runs.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:58 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Looking over the real estate listings online, there are more than 500 homes priced under 100 large.

Only a few are listed in truly distressed areas like Hazelwood or Homewood Brushton, most are in regular working stiff areas which are perfectly safe like Westwood or Lincoln Place. The number goes up higher if you include neighboring, close suburban communities.

Of course, if you turn your nose up at mid-20th century architecture, areas with strip malls and Eat n Park instead of boutiques and fancy eateries attracting the young professional crowd, your pickings will be a lot slimmer.

There really isn't a housing crisis, just a shortage of properties in hot locations popularly priced and affordable for less affluent folks in the community.

If you're cool with a short drive into the city, you can drive from even the "far" areas of the city like Summer Hill or Oakwood to town in 10 minutes if you want to go a restaurant or club.
I would add to that, the areas you speak of do not have 'character' like some of the cheerleaders say on this board when they denounce other cities growing rapidly. Maybe it is just me but there are a lot of inner city neighborhoods that do not have character. Banksville, summer hill, westwood and lincoln place are some of them. In addition, most of the new housing thats built has no character just like the suburbs the cheerleaders hate.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
OMG I need to stop reading this thread ; I am so so so tempted to just buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh