Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'm with Eschaton, I hate lawns and don't want to have to own a lawnmower. I didn't move to the city to push one of those infernal contraptions around a square of grass. We have parks full of lawns, no reason to own your own.
So take out the lawn, plant some trees and ground covers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM

876 posts, read 1,143,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'm with Eschaton, I hate lawns and don't want to have to own a lawnmower. I didn't move to the city to push one of those infernal contraptions around a square of grass. We have parks full of lawns, no reason to own your own.
Mowing a lawn, at least of a reasonable size is totally meditative. It's great to just stroll around, listening to spotify, and actually get something accomplished.

Gardens are nice. So are cookouts and throwing the baseball around and just coming home from work and deciding to flop down on the grass and stare at the clouds for an hour.

I mean, what's the point of having one's own domicile at all? There are plenty of hotels with warm beds and clean commodes out there?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:37 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
I live in New Hampshire but subscribed to this thread because I found it so interesting! Can't believe those house prices. Wow.

I've looked at several of the houses in the links and I like most of them. I am curious, though, the lots all seem really small -- the thing I love about my house is that it's on over an acre of land (so lots of space between neighbors -- I have never heard a thing and I've been here almost 2 years now) but still has city water/sewer. Are the lots all small in the neighborhoods you've been writing about? I realize that's probably the case in older, established neighborhoods.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
My city lot is 30 feet wide by 120 feet deep....1/3 of it is a slope downward that is nothing but ground cover, and honestly in almost 4 years there are parts of my property i have never even stepped foot on. The last 10-15 feet, although flat, are at the bottom of the drop off, and I have never even wandered down there. So yes, most of our lots are small.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Mowing a lawn, at least of a reasonable size is totally meditative. It's great to just stroll around, listening to spotify, and actually get something accomplished.

Gardens are nice. So are cookouts and throwing the baseball around and just coming home from work and deciding to flop down on the grass and stare at the clouds for an hour.

I mean, what's the point of having one's own domicile at all? There are plenty of hotels with warm beds and clean commodes out there?
We have a very nice brick patio with a grill and a two foot-wide strip of mulch that we call a garden. If I want to throw a ball, there's a huge park a block away with all the grass that you could want to sit on. I bought a house not a farm; if I wanted to raise crops I'd move to Sarver.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
My city lot is 30 feet wide by 120 feet deep....1/3 of it is a slope downward that is nothing but ground cover, and honestly in almost 4 years there are parts of my property i have never even stepped foot on. The last 10-15 feet, although flat, are at the bottom of the drop off, and I have never even wandered down there. So yes, most of our lots are small.
Interesting. My last house's lot was 100x100 (about .23 acre), which is pretty standard, although a lot of lots were half that (50x100 -- the 50' side was the road frontage). THE biggest reason I moved to my current house was that I didn't want to hear my neighbors (I LIKE them, just don't want to be forced to listen to their music!).

I really like the housing styles in this thread, just would want a MUCH larger lot. (I too find mowing my lawn pretty relaxing and even fun ... I have a riding mower due to the size of my current lot.)

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 03-16-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
My house is brick with only a few windows on the sides, with most of the windows on the front and back, so I rarely hear anything from my neighbors, unless my windows are open and they are on their porches or decks listening to some music in the summer....

After a while you get used to it, at least I have, and I rarely hear anything...

Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
I don't think any of this information is a surprise, the 'crisis' is that there are not properties available in much supply that a lot of people want.

Just sift through many of the threads about people moving here. Too many of them - often from DC metro area or Texas (irrationally) only seem interested in new construction which is in short supply.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Oh I would have bought an old one if it was in the price range and neighborhood we could.

We are looking at property in Youngstown so my dh can stay one or two nights a week and omg some of the woodwork is fantastic. I would absolutely love an older house and dh would be fine with that also.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 AM

I am curious, are there any older, established (but safe) neighborhoods with larger lots (half-acre or bigger)? Or would you HAVE to go with new construction for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh