Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 PM

39 posts, read 40,400 times

Advertisements

Just wondering

during baseball season, how do the games affect commuters leaving work after 5. Is there more traffic in that area or do most people take public transportation to the games?

Also, is parking harder to find for commuters due to the certain lot restrictions that prevent commuter parking on the north shore during the game day?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 03:48 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,510,223 times
The T is packed just as people are getting off work.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:54 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,581,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfan11 View Post
Just wondering

during baseball season, how do the games affect commuters leaving work after 5. Is there more traffic in that area or do most people take public transportation to the games?

Also, is parking harder to find for commuters due to the certain lot restrictions that prevent commuter parking on the north shore during the game day?

thanks!
It sucks a lot.

You can avoid Steelers traffic easily because there are only so many home games, and they're on consistent days at consistent times.

I've never had a problem with Pens traffic. I don't know whether its due to the fact that the arena only seats 19k, or maybe its where Consol is located.

Pirates games though are god awful. Every day to pick my wife and kid up I have to venture down into the area around Liberty and 6th. So many idiots from out of town who don't know how to cross the street. God forbid they take a moment to plan ahead and figure out where to park or how to get around. Too much to ask from the mouth breathing masses. They block the 6th street bridge off for some stupid promotional crap which by itself causes traffic problems, and then no one else seems to know how to detour around it so they gridlock.

It makes the daily commute suck so bad. If the team ever packs up and leaves (or a sinkhole swallows the stadium whole...god willing) I'm going to celebrate.

I personally have nothing against the Pirates themselves, but why not inflict them upon Cranberry or some other suburb?

Also to answer your question on parking on the north shore, yes it effects it. I don't remember exactly what the policy is. Either you can't park in certain lots on gamedays, or they want you out by a certain time lest they charge you even rates. Something along those lines.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,218,267 times
In the morning, commuters are greeted by signs indicating when they have to get their cars out by for 7 p.m. games. For day games like Opening Day, March 31, event prices are charged all day. Day games usually end during rush hour, really fouling up the whole commute home for those of us who have to work.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,067,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
It sucks a lot.

You can avoid Steelers traffic easily because there are only so many home games, and they're on consistent days at consistent times.

I've never had a problem with Pens traffic. I don't know whether its due to the fact that the arena only seats 19k, or maybe its where Consol is located.

Pirates games though are god awful. Every day to pick my wife and kid up I have to venture down into the area around Liberty and 6th. So many idiots from out of town who don't know how to cross the street. God forbid they take a moment to plan ahead and figure out where to park or how to get around. Too much to ask from the mouth breathing masses. They block the 6th street bridge off for some stupid promotional crap which by itself causes traffic problems, and then no one else seems to know how to detour around it so they gridlock.

It makes the daily commute suck so bad. If the team ever packs up and leaves (or a sinkhole swallows the stadium whole...god willing) I'm going to celebrate.

I personally have nothing against the Pirates themselves, but why not inflict them upon Cranberry or some other suburb?

Also to answer your question on parking on the north shore, yes it effects it. I don't remember exactly what the policy is. Either you can't park in certain lots on gamedays, or they want you out by a certain time lest they charge you even rates. Something along those lines.
If they played in Cranberry certain people would have a hard time walking or riding their bikes to the game or having to endure the hardships of a 20 minute ride which would include red lights which would result in mass overflow of complaints. As far as the complaint of traffic from the games, nobody forces anybody to work or live in the city where the team has been playing since 1882.

And if a sinkhole did result and swallowed the stadium whole, you'd just have to pay more taxes to rebuild it, especially since they've had their first winning season in 20 years and there's no way Bob is going to let himself lose a penny. He's got ski resorts to buy and debt to pay down.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-15-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
If they played in Cranberry certain people would have a hard time walking or riding their bikes to the game or having to endure the hardships of a 20 minute ride which would include red lights which would result in mass overflow of complaints. As far as the complaint of traffic from the games, nobody forces anybody to work or live in the city where the team has been playing since 1882.

And if a sinkhole did result and swallowed the stadium whole, you'd just have to pay more taxes to rebuild it.

SCREW EM!

Put it in Cranberry!

Or better yet, move them to Erie so you have to deal with them. Freaking tourists.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
SCREW EM!

Put it in Cranberry!

Or better yet, move them to Erie so you have to deal with them. Freaking tourists.
Or just move.

If it weren't for tourists the city would be even more broke, or would that be less money to steal. Tough call. Probably better to just move.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Or just move. Pretty simple.
You first, back to Erie.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:

And if a sinkhole did result and swallowed the stadium whole, you'd just have to pay more taxes to rebuild it, especially since they've had their first winning season in 20 years and there's no way Bob is going to let himself lose a penny. He's got ski resorts to buy and debt to pay down.

Actually being serious for a moment: all of the problems you're talking about are only exacerbated by putting the stadium in a densely traveled area just outside of downtown.

Logistically Cranberry would make faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more sense. The downside of this is that it would give the Berrians (?) something else to feel smug about, and I am completely against doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
You first, back to Erie.
Never lived in Erie. Nice place to visit, though. Try it. Might like it, but then there would be less to complain about. Always a catch 22 involved.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh