Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:34 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I simply take issue with everyone acting like the student experience is more important than the life of the actual person who is making it financially possible for her to be a student.
It strikes me that the couple themselves can work these dynamics out without C-D editorializing and generalizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's a flying bus?
Yeah, it's a flying bus. Guess what, she doesn't HAVE to take public transportation. This is a perfect example of how public transportation isn't always a logical solution because it can waste time. (As someone said, time is money for a grad student.) Her commuting via car will make it possible for them to live somewhere that's an easier commute for her boyfriend.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:38 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yeah, it's a flying bus. Guess what, she doesn't HAVE to take public transportation. This is a perfect example of how public transportation isn't really a logical solution. Her commuting via car will make it possible for them to live somewhere that's an easier commute for her boyfriend.
But her taking a car assumes that parking in Oakland is cheap and plentiful. With her Pitt ID, at least the bus is free.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
It strikes me that the couple themselves can work these dynamics out without C-D editorializing and generalizing.
She said herself that she wanted his commute to be the easiest and she didn't mind having the longer commute. But everyone else here is going on and on about her college experience like that's more important than him. I'm not taking issue with the OP, I'm taking issue with the rest of you who are disregarding the importance of her boyfriend and the role he's playing in affording her this opportunity. You're all ignoring that SHE wants his commute to be easier than hers.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:42 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
I'm assuming that the OP's partner would also enjoy a community that has some life to it as well, not just the student.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But her taking a car assumes that parking in Oakland is cheap and plentiful. With her Pitt ID, at least the bus is free.
I'm not assuming parking is cheap and plentiful in Oakland. I've worked there and commuted by car. You're making the assumption she has a tight budget. They own two cars and can afford $1,000 for rent. The odds are more likely that they can afford to pay for parking.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I'm assuming that the OP's partner would also enjoy a community that has some life to it as well, not just the student.
Sewickley has a life! Have you ever walked around the North Shore when there's not a game? It's dead most of the time. lol

Old 03-17-2014, 01:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,041 times
I think it's not always obvious to newcomers how limited PAT is, or how extreme wanting him to have the shorter commute can be, or how old that transfer situation gets by January. I also think grad students underestimate their workload generally. Also if I were a young couple I would pick the north shore in a hot minute over Sewickley. They can certainly work this out among themselves but I think there are legit reasons the north shore is the least worst option.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:55 PM

This is for everyone to revisit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie312 View Post
we want to minimize his commute and I am OK doing public transportation to Pitt
They want to minimize his commute. She is okay with public transportation. She'd love to take public transportation. But she didn't say it's mandatory. (I'll bet she won't prefer public transportation when it doubles her commute time.) What is certain is they want to minimize his commute. That's the couple's priority here.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:55 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Sewickley wouldn't be bad if there was Direct Exp Buses to Oakland that bypassed town

How about L'ville or Bloomfield....One seat ride to Oakland on the 54C or 93...and rt 28 to the Parkway is not bad, he'll be driving against Traffic on the Parkway...28 once the construction done for that short route should be a breeze.

Somewhere in the East End close easy access to 28 would be key.

If no, my next suggestion would be Central Northside itself like Mex War Streets..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh