U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:06 AM

85,052 posts, read 99,039,232 times

Advertisements

I love coming here, have got a lot of good information, met some people I would love to meet and have contributed alot. The thing is, I'm afraid to post some times. I feel like we are expected to act as though we are in a therapy group, sitting around in a circle, constantly talking about shiny happy things, being "nice" all the time. Sometimes somebody just hits a nerve.........

Yes, that is my feeling, too. A dissenting opinion is not usually welcome, no matter what the topic. As for complaining to the "narcs", that is what we are supposed to do. There are some people here who feel like they are self-appointed moderators, saying stuff like "what are you doing on here?", etc. BTW, I am not the only non-local who posts frequently on this forum. Most of us non-locals on this forum have lived in Pittsburgh in the past, in many cases have grown up there.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-06-2007 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: change "here" to "there"

Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 AM

919 posts, read 2,862,416 times
I am glad you are on the forum Pittnurse

a bit off topic but I have a ? here, can anyone tell me how you can write your own words under your screename on the left side of the screen here, for examle, Pittnurse has the comment but brain cell loss...I have been to the area where you can edit but I have never been able to figure out how to change this!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 AM

You have to have 100 rep points, though I believe I read that is being changed. Go to "About the Forum" and ask for specifics.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks Pittnurse....will do that.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:22 AM

Again off-topic (but isn't that what this thread is for?), please keep the people of Omaha, Neb in your prayers. My extended family out there is OK. I have been to that mall. What a creepy thought!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 AM

LOL! Oh it is a off topic thread! Your right!!!

That is terrible what had happened out there....Just horrible

I am glad that your family is ok Pittnurse!

Last edited by Seaharbour; 12-06-2007 at 11:14 AM..

Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 443,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
It wasn't just me BVH...that is who you mean here, so why not just come out and say it, so much for your friendly antics btw...should of known....so I am wrong to be over sensitive, seems to me you also mentioned and agreeded with me on some things on here as well and btw I had a few emails from people who had agreeded with me, that they felt i was being attacked...so lets not make me out to be the one who is 100 percent wrong here, cause that is really not fair, is it? I had admitted already and got my infractions for being oversensitive...what more do you want here? a slaughter too?

"narc" for stupid reasons

SO my reasons are stupid, what a nice thing to say..when you told me in a pm that people attacked you for being gay, did i call that a stupid reason? no..i ageeded with you, cause i do, its sad that people are so against you for being gay...and then you said some people here did not care that you were called names and hurt for being gay..you know some could say here you are over senstive too, how would that make YOU feel? So it is perfectly ok for you to call my reasons stupid but you allowed to call me stupid for your reasons? Aren't we the kettle calling the pot black her eor what? Honestly...do you see that you are putting me down for what you are doing yourself? That is unfair..then you post all over the place here bout how too senstive I AM....well, is that nice? Do you really have to join in and be a part of the gang mentality around here? Maybe so, maybe it makes you feel more accepted inside..how sad that is...if your going to attack me..do not EXPECT me to just sit here and take it..i will defend myself.

And you know, we have moved on here too, so why you are wanting to start things up again? Maybe you should try to think bout that for awhile...cause things are ok, we all had our say bout this and moved on.............so why do you feel to bring it up again? Or is it behind the scence emails stir keeping things alive here? Personaly, I am over it..i admitted i wrong for my part here and I even found things that we agree upon and I think that is GOOD, so why stir the pot? Or is that fun for you?

And now I see why everyone keeps saying that alot of good kind people left the site here for some time...I now See WHY!
I was not pointing fingers. I specifically did NOT name names publicly. I am merely saying that perhaps people are a little too sensitive. I am not saying that you are wrong for being over-sensitive. All I am saying is it's not the forum-poster-at-large's responsibility to protect the needs of the over sensitive. That is NOT to say personally attacking should be tolerated, however, it appears, based on your own posts that you reported this or that to the mods because it offended your sensibilities, not because it attacked you either real or imaginary.

Also, your posts, including this one I quoted, are chock-full of passive aggresive rhetoric. When anybody makes a statement against anything you say, you open up the whole "You hurt my feelings" scenario.

For the record, I only posted once about the issue after some of my posts were edited and threads were closed that you hi-jacked. I am not sure why you are being so hostile. I have no ill-will whatsover towards you, to the extent it's even possibile to have "ill-will" towards somebody on the internet, lol.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:23 PM

11,447 posts, read 19,502,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
Here's something to think about. When I was recently in the penalty box, I created a Yahoo Pittsburgh group.

PittsburghGatheringSpot : Pittsburgh Gathering Spot

I love coming here, have got a lot of good information, met some people I would love to meet and have contributed alot. The thing is, I'm afraid to post some times. I feel like we are expected to act as though we are in a therapy group, sitting around in a circle, constantly talking about shiny happy things, being "nice" all the time. Sometimes somebody just hits a nerve.........

So if anyone is interested, sign up for the group I posted. I'm going to be the moderator, and it will be much more relaxed. Generally, no profanity, no racism or racial remarks, that's about it though. Let me know, and I'll still be around here.
I've heard this a lot -- about not being able to post negative things -- does this mean you're getting nailed via private message? Because I truly don't understand this.

And I hope I'm not part of the problem.

One of the problems we were having here was because the board polarized over the suburbs and the city, and people started attacking each other. I got a negative rep point because I used one posters own words and he took offense at being called moronic (when it was obvious he wasn't reading it right -- he wasn't being called moronic, and forgotten that he used those exact words in his attacking post before).

But even though he was being horrid, we all were discussing the feelings behind the "facts", because factually where you want to move is an emotional decision. And it was a lively discussion -- filled with no, you can't say that this is yada yada and well , yes -- when I lived there it was yada yada...

Which is all I see, and to me is a part of a lively discussion.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 PM

is it really true that people have deceided not to move to pgh after coming to this forum? I certainly hope not! Well this is enough for me, I need more positive discussions in life myself...take care all, its been interesting and fun

I am sticking to some other areas that are healing , I feel very much at home in those threads and I think these kind are not for "me" to each their own...Happy Holidays and New year to all~

Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
I was not pointing fingers. I specifically did NOT name names publicly. I am merely saying that perhaps people are a little too sensitive. I am not saying that you are wrong for being over-sensitive. All I am saying is it's not the forum-poster-at-large's responsibility to protect the needs of the over sensitive. That is NOT to say personally attacking should be tolerated, however, it appears, based on your own posts that you reported this or that to the mods because it offended your sensibilities, not because it attacked you either real or imaginary.
Also, your posts, including this one I quoted, are chock-full of passive aggresive rhetoric. When anybody makes a statement against anything you say, you open up the whole "You hurt my feelings" scenario.

For the record, I only posted once about the issue after some of my posts were edited and threads were closed that you hi-jacked. I am not sure why you are being so hostile. I have no ill-will whatsover towards you, to the extent it's even possibile to have "ill-will" towards somebody on the internet, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
is it really true that people have deceided not to move to pgh after coming to this forum? I certainly hope not! Well this is enough for me, I need more positive discussions in life myself...take care all, its been interesting and fun

I am sticking to some other areas that are healing , I feel very much at home in those threads and I think these kind are not for "me" to each their own...Happy Holidays and New year to all~
I'll respond to both of these at once instead of double posting. The words I have bolded are something that bothers me in this forum: people who try to psychoanalyze other posters. It's been done to me, too. Frankly, even though I may be badly in need of psychotherapy (JK, I hope), I don't want to get it from City-Data. I will stick to a competent professional! That's not what this forum is supposed to be about! It's OK to get on someone's case about "Off-topic", if that's what you mean by hijacking. If some of your posts were edited, BVH, it is because of something YOU posted, not because of what someone else said.

seaharbour: I doubt if anyone decided not to move to Pgh because of City-Data. It seems to me, most people seem to pretty much have their minds made up when they start posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh