U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 PM

7,615 posts, read 10,653,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I am confused about something and I don't want to post it in the thread it occurred in because, well, it's off-topic and I'll get in trouble again.

I opened up the PA liquor laws thread just now, and saw about 6 posts down at the bottom that all have my name on them and were deleted by a mod for off-topic-ness. What's weird about that is that I seem to remember being on-topic and relatively uncontroversial re: my comments in that thread (for once), and also I haven't posted in there in a couple of days (certainly not 6 posts all at once today which would have to be deleted by a mod).

Should I be concerned that someone else has hijacked my City-Data Forum account and is posting bizarre things this afternoon that have to be removed by a mod from the PA liquor laws thread? Or is this just a combination of my own paranoia and not understanding how special moderator powers work (or apparently even the definition of "off-topic")?

I also looked at some other threads to see if I could gain some insight. I see some posts of mine that were deleted by a moderator in the middle of a thread (not at the end), but I don't see listings for other deleted posts by other people, nor do I see posts by others that I know were there before but are not there now.

So I guess my other questions are these: if a mod deletes your posts, does the deletion notification typicaly show up in the place where the original post was, or does it show up at the end of the thread? And when other people have their posts deleted, will anybody but them see the deletion notice?

Confused minds want to know...
Usually when that happens it's because your posts have been "orphaned" (Poor sad posts) You were replying to something that was also deleted, and to leave your reply would be really confusing -- so they delete yours, too. Just happened to me and I got a direct mail about it.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

70,058 posts, read 60,642,093 times
I have had several deleted for "off-topic" today as well. I think they are cracking down a little after that big fight that went on for 3 days; sticking to strict definition of on-topic. If it's happening to all of us, I don't think there's any concern about identity theft.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 PM

626 posts, read 1,183,888 times
Ok, this is all good to know. I was getting really confused there for a minute.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,998,161 times
I'm getting deleted left and right too. That "Why are people moving out from Pittsburgh" war is going to be the death of all our accounts, I'm afraid. I have a new one deleted every day. It seemed like all in good fun at the time.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,426,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I'm getting deleted left and right too. That "Why are people moving out from Pittsburgh" war is going to be the death of all our accounts, I'm afraid. I have a new one deleted every day. It seemed like all in good fun at the time.

All,

I just closed the thread, we will review your concerns. I will suggest for everyone to familiarize yourself with the TOS (our rules). Questions can submitted to Yac or johnycakes.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh