Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times

Advertisements

It's been a few years since I have been there, but I did like Segneri's in Coraopolis the couple times I had dined there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 05:28 PM

367 posts, read 621,838 times
Alla Famiglia in Allentown.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Up Modern Italian in Shadyside isn't very good at all. Really overpriced and nothing special. I just don't understand how these places can stay in business. The bartenders were on a computer all the time, but they didn't delay when either of us needed a drink. It was sort of dead in there, but still.

I have a theory about the restaurant business in Pittsburgh and I hope it isn't true, but I think it is reality. The restaurant business is taxed to death on alcohol and I think they just shifted quality food to lower grade and just try to make it work somehow to turn a profit. The food you get out is really not very good at all. You spend $60 for two and get about nothing. I just don't think that business works anymore. There are so few good places. To be honest, I don't know of any place that I would consider outstanding. I think that business is just too tough.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM
gg

Piccolo Forno. I have been there for pizza AND now for pasta and salads. The salads are good and flavorful. ALL the pizzas are BLAND. ALL. Yes, we have had about every one! We wanted to like this place. It is pretty darn loud in there, like NYC and that would be fine, but the food really isn't good overall. The pasta I had was tiny in portion. NO, I am not a BIG food type of person, but I have limits. It was tiny and pretty darn pricy for that. I think we are finally done with Piccolo Forno. We really like the location and feel, but we also enjoy good food. Again, I just don't think there are many good places in Pittsburgh for Italian of any kind. They can't be profitable if they serve good food at an okay price. Spending $60 for two for pasta that isn't very good isn't at all worth it. I am tired of the crap we deal with in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:32 AM

288 posts, read 511,191 times
I took two friends to Lawrenceville on Saturday evening and waited the two hours to eat at Piccolo Forno. I agree that the pizza is bland (also overpriced), but I am a big fan of the pasta. I get the spinach canneloni and my one friend got the lasagna. None of us were able to finish our entire meal, so I wouldn't call them small. We also split some of the best tiramisu I've ever had. Both friends agreed it was some of the best pasta they've had.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 AM

632 posts, read 853,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Alla Famiglia in Allentown.
Have not eaten there yet, but the restaurant is beautiful. Like a shining pearl atop
a compost heap in that neighborhood.

The Moonlite Café in Brookline is known for serving very good food. Unfortunately
they recently closed their dining area and converted it to music performance space,
so you'd have to eat in the bar. But the menu is pretty much the same I'm told.

There is also the lone remaining Tambellini's in Bridgeville. At one time there were
seven restaurants in Pittsburgh named Tambellini's, all owned by members of the same
extended family.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Have not eaten there yet, but the restaurant is beautiful. Like a shining pearl atop
a compost heap in that neighborhood.

The Moonlite Café in Brookline is known for serving very good food. Unfortunately
they recently closed their dining area and converted it to music performance space,
so you'd have to eat in the bar. But the menu is pretty much the same I'm told.

There is also the lone remaining Tambellini's in Bridgeville. At one time there were
seven restaurants in Pittsburgh named Tambellini's, all owned by members of the same
extended family.
The Tambellini's in Bridgeville is awful in my experience. My former boss took some out of town visitors there, and I was embarassed for all of us. I believe Joseph Tambellini's in Highland Park is known to be pretty good, I have not been there.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
I took two friends to Lawrenceville on Saturday evening and waited the two hours to eat at Piccolo Forno. I agree that the pizza is bland (also overpriced), but I am a big fan of the pasta. I get the spinach canneloni and my one friend got the lasagna. None of us were able to finish our entire meal, so I wouldn't call them small. We also split some of the best tiramisu I've ever had. Both friends agreed it was some of the best pasta they've had.

I had Ravioli con Burro e Salvia, Spinach-filled ravioli drizzled with sage butter and the comment at the table was, I wonder if they ran out of pasta? We have had about every pizza and they are all pretty much flavorless. I attribute that to low quality cheese and really the sauces have no zip at all. Just a bland pizza. I am not sure why? Can they not taste that fact themselves? Odd. Most people were eating pasta and some of the big red sauce stuff looked pretty hardy, but it didn't look that appealing and I was hoping for something a little more sophisticated that night. Believe me, we really wanted to like it, but I think we are throwing in the towel. Just for a point of reference, we don't go to Chipotle because those things are just too big. I wish they sold smaller ones. I guess we could cut it in half, but they would most likely fall apart.

I just don't think restaurants can make good quality for under $100 for two these days. I guess that is the price you pay now to go out. I think I will eat like a king at home for 1/3 that price, unless we want mussels. For that we go to Park Bruges or Point Brugge, which also has nice salads.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I had Ravioli con Burro e Salvia, Spinach-filled ravioli drizzled with sage butter and the comment at the table was, I wonder if they ran out of pasta? We have had about every pizza and they are all pretty much flavorless. I attribute that to low quality cheese and really the sauces have no zip at all. Just a bland pizza. I am not sure why? Can they not taste that fact themselves? Odd. Most people were eating pasta and some of the big red sauce stuff looked pretty hardy, but it didn't look that appealing and I was hoping for something a little more sophisticated that night. Believe me, we really wanted to like it, but I think we are throwing in the towel. Just for a point of reference, we don't go to Chipotle because those things are just too big. I wish they sold smaller ones. I guess we could cut it in half, but they would most likely fall apart.

I just don't think restaurants can make good quality for under $100 for two these days. I guess that is the price you pay now to go out. I think I will eat like a king at home for 1/3 that price, unless we want mussels. For that we go to Park Bruges or Point Brugge, which also has nice salads.
Whaaaaat? How much do you usually order? Do you always get a bottle of wine?

And get a burrito bowl whenever you're at Chipotle. It's a hearty, but not unreasonably sized, meal for a hungry customer.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 03-31-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And get a burrito bowl whenever you're at Chipotle. It's a hearty, but not unreasonably sized, meal for a hungry order?
Exactly. Flour tortillas are empty, tasteless, calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh