Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,154 times

Advertisements

We are a blended "interracial" family moving from TX to PA. My two older daughters and I are hispanic, my husband (originally from PA) is caucasian and we have two "mixed" babies together. We are looking into the areas of Greensburg, Latrobe or Murrysville as they have great schools and we are looking to live in more of an upper scale neigborhood for safety, and other reasons. Is there diversity in these areas? I want my older girls in elementary and junior high to be accepted and to make friends with other great kids like they have here. Is this realistic? They are both very bright, respectful children and with their personalities would fit right in. However, I am just worried that they will not be accepted because of their tannish skin color. Are people less accepting in these areas? Should I stay away from these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 AM

119 posts, read 460,059 times
While I can't speak for Latrobe or Greensburg, I grew up in Murrysville. As an Asian-American, I really didn't encounter any outward prejudice or ill-will. Only some teasing from insecure elementary school kids. If your kids are bright and respectful, they should fit in just fine. While Franklin Regional doesn't appear very diverse on paper (or greatschools.net), there was always other minority students in my classes, and issues of race and ethnicity rarely became issues. I think a lot that was because the vast majority of the students were from similar socio-economic backgrounds, which in Western PA can become much more a dividng wedge than race or ethnicity.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Greensburg would have the most diversity. Murrysville is VERY white, however, I actually believe that Murrysville is one of the most progressive cities in all of the greater Pittsburgh area. They have extremely good planning and school boards and leadership. People must get tired of me talking about it, but it's my favorite Pittsburgh suburb.

I doubt you would find any outright prejudice or ill-will in any of those areas. Well... if you did, I would say Latrobe would be the one where it could happen. Although Latrobe is an absolutely beautiful little city, it is starting to push fairly far from Pittsburgh and close to "rural" westmoreland county.

I'm actually not sure much about the schools in Latrobe. Kids from Greensburg go to Greensburg Salem, and I imagine it is fairly diverse. However, Franklin Regional is most definitely the superior school district out of the cities you mentioned. It is probably mostly white (actually that's a definite) but I doubt your children would have a bad experience at all. I doubt the faculty or other parents would tolerate it. Like I said, Murrysville is quite an interesting place with an interesting mindset. I don't know how it happened, but it did.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
I see nothing wrong with a city or town that is very white...personally speaking of course
btw..I think Murrysville is very safe, decent place to raise a family!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with a city or town that is very white...personally speaking of course
Well me either, but I was just saying, on paper, there won't be a lot of diversity in Murrsyvile. It's mostly white middle to upper class American families.

I also see nothing wrong with a very diverse city or town, either. :P

Old 12-06-2007, 10:01 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
to each their own

Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 13,966 times
I was born and raised in Latrobe and I love it!! My mother works at the courthouse in Greensburg. Both of these places are great places to live. With many friendly, intelligent, hard working people. As far as Murrysville, it is a little different. I cannot really say that any of these locations are very interracial. Mostly caucasian. but of the three I would have to say Greensburg 1st, Latrobe 2nd and murrysville 3rd. We were never really concerned with race in my town. I had 1 asian friend and 1 african american friend growing up, mostly because there were none living in the area. With all of the new Physicians and Kennemetal employees from all over living there now, I could not see any problems for you and your family. Latrobe is still a pretty religious town and people there are genuine and nice! I was recently home for Christmas and the improvements to the town are outstanding. Alot of new construction and improvements to St. Vincent College! What a beautiful place. We are hoping to move back to that area within the next year ourselves. Good Luck! I hope this helps you.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 PM

17 posts, read 61,621 times
I live in Murrysville and LOVE it! The schools are exceptional, although I admitedly have only dealt with the middle school and elementary school. My children attend with several different nationalities (mostly Asian and Indian) and I have never witnessed the children being singled out. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I'd like to believe that Murrysville; i.e. its residents, are tolerant and accepting of other nationalities besides Caucasian. In fact, my daughter's school celebrated different cultures last December and everyone seemed genuinely interested in learning more about others' cultures.

Good luck and if you move to Murrysville, let me know if I can be of any help.

I promise you will love it here!

Last edited by IHeartPA; 01-08-2008 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Edited to correct spelling error

Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 PM

30 posts, read 113,069 times
They don't call Murrysville "the bubble" for no reason.

I grew up here... spent a fair amount of time in Greensburg/with greensburg kids. I would move to Murrysville (if you can't afford the housing, check out nearby Export. It is the same school district). Greensburg... eh. The people I knew were kinda rednecks. The school isn't as good in my opinion. Another positive aspect of Murrysville is that the students tend to participate in a lot of extra curricular activities.

As for Latrobe, I have only been there a few times... I don't want to comment on something i don't know about.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
I noticed that the people who posted their experiences of Murryville only knew one or two blacks in the area, why is that? It was not because blacks could not afford to live there it was because they were not welcomed there.
My brother-in-laws who are black grew up in murrysville and one starred on the basketball team and they caught hell there. It seems that as long as they just played basketball for the school and did not involve themselves with any social activities that pertained to white females he would be fine. His biracial brother and sister did not have such a hard time there. This situation may not apply to you since you have girls but do not be too surprised if it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh