Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 PM

16 posts, read 23,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
I think Pittsburgh's zoning is pretty hard to deal with when it comes to some of this stuff.
This is true, I'm sure. But it sounds like that'd be easier to deal with than the OP's preferences :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjyarish View Post
You're far better off just adding on somehow to what you already have, whether it's an addition off the back, top, side.. heck, you can even dig the basement out and relocate utilities. Then you'd have the ONLY house like it in the neighborhood and you'd never have to think about moving again!
We live in a rowhouse. There is no way to expand to either side unless we buy out our neighbors on one side and knock holes in foot-thick brick walls. Which my wife has seriously thought about in the past, but is probably outside of our price range now.

As to the front, we sit right on the sidewalk, with zero setback. We have a fully furnished attic already. My wife has been complaining about a flip across the street where they are putting in a larger dormer having "ruined the integrity of the row" so there's no chance of expanding in that direction.

Regarding the backyard, there is an easement covering the entire yard (which is small). It's one of our biggest issues with the house. Essentially the four houses in our row, and the five houses around the block, have right of "ingress, egress, and drying of clothes" on our property. What this means in practice is we cannot make any improvements to our yard at all. We cannot even put up a fence. It's a big PITA, because at some point in the past, people paved the yard, which is now cracked and subsiding. While we can redo our segment, we can't put up a fence to block our neighbor's blight, and they don't have the money to spend on fixing their portion of the yard.

About the only realistic option we'd have would be take off the rear half of the main roof and the slant roof over our ell/dog leg, and build a flat roof back there instead. This would result in space we could stick a bathroom in in the attic. However, it would be a ton of work for what would amount to adding 126 square feet to the house.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 23,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
We live in a rowhouse. There is no way to expand to either side unless we buy out our neighbors on one side and knock holes in foot-thick brick walls. Which my wife has seriously thought about in the past, but is probably outside of our price range now.

As to the front, we sit right on the sidewalk, with zero setback. We have a fully furnished attic already. My wife has been complaining about a flip across the street where they are putting in a larger dormer having "ruined the integrity of the row" so there's no chance of expanding in that direction.

Regarding the backyard, there is an easement covering the entire yard (which is small). It's one of our biggest issues with the house. Essentially the four houses in our row, and the five houses around the block, have right of "ingress, egress, and drying of clothes" on our property. What this means in practice is we cannot make any improvements to our yard at all. We cannot even put up a fence. It's a big PITA, because at some point in the past, people paved the yard, which is now cracked and subsiding. While we can redo our segment, we can't put up a fence to block our neighbor's blight, and they don't have the money to spend on fixing their portion of the yard.

About the only realistic option we'd have would be take off the rear half of the main roof and the slant roof over our ell/dog leg, and build a flat roof back there instead. This would result in space we could stick a bathroom in in the attic. However, it would be a ton of work for what would amount to adding 126 square feet to the house.
The attic bathroom plan doesn't sound too terrible, actually - you'd be getting that 2nd bathroom, and you might even consider moving laundry up there as well so you wouldn't have to trek up and down the basement (that's one of my biggest pains!).

Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I have a friend who did this in Lawrenceville. It makes for a very strange house.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Have you considered some sort of counseling? It sounds like you have thought of most of the things people have suggested, so I don't think the problem is that you are out of ideas. Some of the stipulations sound like this has gone beyond any issue with four walls and a roof.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
South Oakland? 3332 Dawson Street, Oakland PA - Trulia

South of the Boulevard, and it looks unremuddled on the exterior, to the best of my ability to perceive such from a single photo.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
South Oakland? 3332 Dawson Street, Oakland PA - Trulia

South of the Boulevard, and it looks unremuddled on the exterior, to the best of my ability to perceive such from a single photo.
That's adorable. He can afford to fix any remuddling for that price. It's probably a foreclosure since there are no interior pics.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
^This is the alright part of South Oakland. https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a3e7ae4f&msa=0

Old 03-26-2014, 03:22 PM

Even if she does finally agree on a house, it will probably be sold before she decides.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Give her a link to this thread and let her read our comments. Maybe she'll realize she's being unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh