Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times

Advertisements

Highland Park's Walkscore is 59 Highland Park Pittsburgh Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score
Squirrel Hill's is 71 (South) or 70 (North) Squirrel Hill South Pittsburgh Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score Squirrel Hill North Pittsburgh Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score

Point Breeze North 63 Point Breeze North Pittsburgh Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score
Point Breeze 57 Point Breeze Pittsburgh Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Walk Score
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:19 AM

618 posts, read 692,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What an interesting perspective. I consider Highland Park very walkable, but I don't mind walking a mile or more. You can certainly walk to Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Home Depot IMHO, not to mention Advanced Auto, a ton of restaurants and more. I guess if you feel half a mile is too far to walk, they you would feel Highland Park isn't walkable. Point Breeze would then not be walkable either and most of Squirrel Hill wouldn't be walkable.
I imagine few people would consider that distance either walkable or convenient if returning from Home Depot (1 mile from Bryant), Target (1.3 miles), Whole Foods (1.6 miles) etc. with anything they've bought. On the other hand, it seems very walkable in terms of nice, level areas to walk either in the neighborhood or the park.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:56 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
I imagine few people would consider that distance either walkable or convenient if returning from Home Depot (1 mile from Bryant), Target (1.3 miles), Whole Foods (1.6 miles) etc. with anything they've bought. On the other hand, it seems very walkable in terms of nice, level areas to walk either in the neighborhood or the park.
I agree with this. By no means would I want to routinely walk 3 miles to get groceries. However, most of Highland Park is flat and it is great place to walk a dog or a baby in a stroller.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 PM

14 posts, read 17,619 times
Great! thank you so much for your opinions about Squirrel hills, accordingly to what I read only the North Part could be good for us!

An agent today sent me a rental for 7.000 $ per month, seriously?? I thought was really pricy... and coming from the Bay Area I thought we were already living in one the most expensive place in US... Wow!

But a part of this one... Shadyside seems to be in our budget, the only problem is that properties are going fast... but we will be there next week for a first look! (Is it really snowing there right now???.... Here we have 85 F ... Big change!!)

A quick question.... how is the Sacred heart Catholic school?

Thank you again for your great feedbacks!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
We visited Sacred Heart (albeit for preschool), talked to a few parents, and were happy enough that we stopped looking afterwards. I think we will do public school (Colfax) for kindergarten though but got 2 years to decide still. For whatever that is worth.

7k a month is nuts, but rent isn't cheap and properties are in short supply. I suspect the 7k was on a property worth a bit over a million. You should expect that a SFH rental in a desirable area will be approximately the same as a mortgage payment financing the full home value (including property taxes in the mortgage payment, which are substantial, roughly 2-2.5% of home value in the city). This makes buying pretty attractive, but if you aren't planning to stay for at least a 3-4 years, renting is still going to come out ahead because of how much it costs to buy and sell a home.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM

14 posts, read 17,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
We visited Sacred Heart (albeit for preschool), talked to a few parents, and were happy enough that we stopped looking afterwards. I think we will do public school (Colfax) for kindergarten though but got 2 years to decide still. For whatever that is worth.

7k a month is nuts, but rent isn't cheap and properties are in short supply. I suspect the 7k was on a property worth a bit over a million. You should expect that a SFH rental in a desirable area will be approximately the same as a mortgage payment financing the full home value (including property taxes in the mortgage payment, which are substantial, roughly 2-2.5% of home value in the city). This makes buying pretty attractive, but if you aren't planning to stay for at least a 3-4 years, renting is still going to come out ahead because of how much it costs to buy and sell a home.
Thank you!

Not sure for how long we will be staying.. I hope at least 2 years, but so far we don't know yet!

Properties are really in short supply in that neighborhood, so true!!!

I so don't want to live in the subs again, BUT since I don't see so many houses available now, I had a very quick "back up plan" look in the subs.. and a close by one seems to be Moon Township... do you know anything about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh