U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM

52 posts, read 58,367 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with all this litter? There are areas I've seen that literally look like a landfill.

Marred by litter - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,424,737 times
This topic comes up every spring. The snow melts and the winter's litter is visible everywhere.

As the weather warms, much of it will be cleaned up by volunteer groups such as the boy scouts.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:04 PM

11,367 posts, read 14,233,818 times
People that litter disgust me, and don't get me started on cigarette smokers. The worst.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,317,783 times
The litter was shocking to me when I first moved here. I initially had trouble looking past it to see the beauty of the city. I really don't get it.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,424,737 times
I think the problem is the governments relies heavily on volunteers and community service sentences to clean up litter. It would be different if it was a priority. There are cities that have litter cleaning crews and use those street cleaning machines regularly.

This is an interesting article. Littering Behavior in America | Results of a National Study

Quote:
With
 regard 
to 
general 
littering, 
our 
statistical
 analyses 
revealed 
several
 important 
predictors. 
At
the 
individual
 level,
strongly 
negatively
 related 
to
 littering
 behavior, 
with
 older 
individuals 
littering
 less
 than
 younger 
individuals. 
At 
the
 level 
of 
the
 context,
 the
 availability 
and
 distance
 of 
trash
receptacles 
was 
strongly 
predictive 
of 
littering 
behavior. 
In
 addition,
 the
 amount
 of 
litter 
already 
present
contributed 
to 
the 
litter ing
rate.

Since everyone says Pittsburgh has a huge elderly population, the city should be spotless.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 PM

43 posts, read 87,824 times
A new neighbor who moved here from out of state recently remarked, "I was prepared for the potholes, but has been shocked by the amount of litter." It embarrassing that we Pittsburghers are so proud of our city but seem to use it as a personal trash can.

I know the police have a lot of bigger problems to handle but I'd love to see the Mayor push a major anti-littering campaign that includes having PPD issuing tickets.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM

5,921 posts, read 7,041,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The snow melts and the winter's litter is visible everywhere.
Also, lots of people seem to think that snow dissolves dog feces.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningsider View Post
It embarrassing that we Pittsburghers are so proud of our city but seem to use it as a personal trash can.
A lot of Pittsburghers don't take any goddamn pride in where they live. "Pittsburgh pride" is an oxymoron, especially since it's just a bunch of dip****s who regard the Steelers and Penguins as the alpha and omega of what makes the city worthwhile, and hate and slander everything else about it. It makes me glad that more people are finally moving to Pittsburgh, because they're beginning to drown out the nonsensical "Pittsburgh sucks but the Steelers and Penguins are great" crap and appreciate the city for itself.

By the way, if you have a problem with me saying this from afar, then too bad. But feel free to give me more reputation points in order to take shots at me from behind a cloak of anonymity, coward.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,405,932 times
It is what it is. I bellyached and ballyhooed the tremendous amount of litter when I moved here in 2010, but now I sort of just view it as being an inherent part of the landscape---weeping willow tree, empty Pabst Blue Ribbon can, historic Victorian home, McDonald's French fry box, captivating museum, cigarette butts, corporate high-rise construction, smashed wine bottle...

In a city so financially destitute we can't even fill a pothole I don't have high hopes we'll ever eradicate litter, either.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,405,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
A lot of Pittsburghers don't take any goddamn pride in where they live. "Pittsburgh pride" is an oxymoron, especially since it's just a bunch of dip****s who regard the Steelers and Penguins as the alpha and omega of what makes the city worthwhile, and hate and slander everything else about it. It makes me glad that more people are finally moving to Pittsburgh, because they're beginning to drown out the nonsensical "Pittsburgh sucks but the Steelers and Penguins are great" crap and appreciate the city for itself.
I totally agree with you, Gnutella. "Pittsburgh Pride" simply means "I bleed black and gold" to many more simple-minded people who will toss a cigarette butt onto the ground after leaving work at UPMC Presby and then toss another onto the ground as they approach the Consol Energy Center or Heinz Field. It's disgusting. I bet lots of Kenny Chesney fans who left the place a literal pig sty "love" Pittsburgh, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh