Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Skiing facilities; fitness and recreational sports centers".
Straight from the horse's mouth at bizjournal. I'm sorry, but the Pittsburgh area skiing is extremely small potatoes compared to Denver's. Colorado was once a candidate for the Olympics. Could you imagine Olympic skiing at Seven Springs? I don't think so! I don't mean to be rude, but get real! I did send them an e-mail. It is simply nuts to rank Denver # 24 in those characteristics.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-10-2007 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: slight change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,038,175 times
Quote:
It is simply nuts to rank Denver # 24 in those characteristics.
Let me know if they get back to you. Skiing is only one part of the pie in how they rank that. Maybe Pittsburgh made up for it in "fitness and recreational sports centers." It's possible they only allowed a so-many mile radius out of the city to be qualified. Maybe a lot of the great skii resorts in Colorado are simply not close enough to Denver to qualify. I have no idea, like I said, I'd be curious to see if they write back. Rankings like this are ALWAYS controversial. You should see biz journals official forums, they are ablaze. There are many people who claim Pittsburgh should be a lot higher than it is in culture and entertainment.

*shrug*

Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 PM

I'm not trying to belabor this point (something I have been accused of doing at times, probably accurately), but see my previous post (#13) about rec facitlities around here. It was an entertaining article, anyway.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 PM

Here is another recent ranking from msnbc health and fitness. They ranked The Drunkest Cities and I was very interested in it because you know those few people who pop on here and claim Pittsburgh is a nothing more than big drunken mess when we recommend cool places like the Southside and the Strip District for after dark. Pittsburgh ranked just fine, I think. And then, out of curiousity I was looking for Denver. I kept scanning and scanning and I thought, "geeze, Denver doesn't even place on the list! Is alcohol illegal??" Then I realized it was FIRST which I would have NEVER guessed. LOL. You guys must like to drink over there!!

Quote:
We looked at annual death rates due to alcoholic liver disease, as well as who's headed there by regularly downing five or more drinks in a sitting (CDC). Next, we factored in drunk-driving arrests (FBI) and the percentage of fatal accidents involving intoxicated motorists (U.S. Department of Transportation). Then, after tallying the MADD report card of state efforts to cut down on excessive drinking, we had our ranking and, for the state of Colorado, an invitation to AA.
Quote:
The list below ranks the cities from most dangerously drunk to least dangerously drunk.

Most Dangerously Drunk

100. Denver, CO F

99. Anchorage, AK F

98. Colorado Springs, CO F

97. Omaha, NE F

96. Fargo, ND F

95. San Antonio, TX F

94. Austin, TX F

93. Fresno, CA F

92. Lubbock, TX F

91. Milwaukee, WI F

90. El Paso, TX F

89. Spokane, WA F

88. Washington, DC F

87. Columbia, SC F

86. St. Louis, MO D-

85. Bakersfield, CA D-

84. San Diego, CA D

83. Cheyenne, WY D

82. Aurora, CO D

81. Houston, TX D

80. Portland, OR D

79. Seattle, WA D

78. Boise, ID D

77. Tucson, AZ D+

76. Dallas, TX D+

75. Jacksonville, FL D+

74. Toledo, OH D+

73. Madison, WI D+

72. Oakland, CA D+

71. Modesto, CA D+

70. Billings, MT D+

69. Fremont, CA D+

68. Oklahoma City, OK D+

67. San Francisco, CA D+

66. Sacramento, CA D+

65. Los Angeles, CA D+

64. Phoenix, AZ D+

63. Albuquerque, NM D+

62. Chicago, IL D+

61. Providence, RI D+

60. Fort Wayne, IN C-

59. Manchester, NH C-

58. Charleston, WV C-

57. Burlington, VT C-

56. Lincoln, NE C-

55. Corpus Christi, TX C-

54. Des Moines, IA C-

53. Indianapolis, IN C-

52. Pittsburgh, PA C-

51. Honolulu, HI C-

50. St. Paul, MN C

49. Tampa, FL C

48. Greensboro, NC C

47. Las Vegas, NV C

46. Baltimore, MD C

45. Riverside, CA C

44. Norfolk, VA C

43. Detroit, MI C+

42. Arlington, TX C+

41. Grand Rapids, MI C+

40. San Jose, CA C+

39. St. Petersburg, FL C+

38. Nashville, TN C+

37. Charlotte, NC C+

36. Wilmington, DE C+

35. Orlando, FL C+

34. Minneapolis, MN C+

33. Kansas City, MO C+

32. Fort Worth, TX C+

31. Tulsa, OK C+

30. Anaheim, CA B-

29. Wichita, KS B-

28. Lexington, KY B-

27. Philadelphia, PA B-

26. Montgomery, AL B-

25. Rochester, NY B-

24. Raleigh, NC B

23. Cincinnati, OH B

22. Louisville, KY B

21. Bangor, ME B

20. Memphis, TN B

19. Boston, MA B

18. Hartford, CT B+

17. Sioux Falls, SD B+

16. Birmingham, AL B+

15. Baton Rouge, LA B+

14. Columbus, OH B+

13. Cleveland, OH B+

12. Atlanta, GA B+

11. Newark, NJ B+
If you can't find it, Pittsburgh is just about dead center at 52.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Oops, I should have read the first paragraph which I didn't until now.

Quote:
New Year's Day 1916 was rough for Colorado residents looking for a little hair of the dog. On that Saturday, the state stopped all liquor sales, predating Prohibition by 4 years. Today, Colorado once again leads the nation in its attitude toward alcohol — but now, the mandate seems to be "drink till you drop." In our second ranking of urban inebriation, Aurora comes in 82nd, Colorado Springs finishes 98th, and, once again, Denver is Most Dangerously Drunk.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM

Yes, was a subject of much discussion on the Colorado threads and General US. Frankly, this is another one whose methodology I question. (Remember the discussion about statistics?) One of the factors that encourages drinking (per the article) is supposedly lenient alcohol laws, yet Colorado has fairly strict laws (no Sunday sales, must serve food in bars, can't buy six-packs to carry out in the bars, etc, etc. So I really don't get it.

OTOH, maybe it's true. I don't live there (in the city).

I tend to be suspicious of MADD. The MADD chapter at my DD's college in Minnesota (another hard-drinking state) chartered a bus to a bar one St. Patrick's Day and they got in deep trouble with the national organization. Apparently, you aren't supposed to 'enable' people to drink like that. Which I would agree with, but it was St. Patrick's Day.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-10-2007 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 601,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sure, Primanti's, Mad Mex, Sharp Edge, and Eat n' Park are chains, but at least they're *local* chains. There are tons of independent restaurants in Pittsburgh--you can go for weeks without eating in a national chain if you don't want to. (I rarely do.)

And with Pittsburgh Filmmakers (which holds the Three Rivers Film Festival) and theaters like the Oaks, I can see how PGH rates highly in entertainment, as well.

I think you are correct. The OP is obviously mistaken; Pittsburgh has a HUGE mom/pop culture, both in the restaurant industry and retail. Heck, there are TWO independently owned diners and TWO independently owned bakeries within 4 blocks from my house. In Dallas, I'd have to drive 15 miles!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 AM

919 posts, read 3,175,068 times
I look forward to being able to walk to shopping and etc when we move to Pgh! 15 mins is actually 30 mins when you go round trip!

Walking..good for you heart and the enviroment
Driving..bad for enviroment and costs more money!!!

Have a good day BVH

Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM

3,026 posts, read 4,973,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
I think you are correct. The OP is obviously mistaken; Pittsburgh has a HUGE mom/pop culture, both in the restaurant industry and retail. Heck, there are TWO independently owned diners and TWO independently owned bakeries within 4 blocks from my house. In Dallas, I'd have to drive 15 miles!
Isn't 15 miles less than a block in Dallas? Just kidding. I went to Dallas once and was amazed at how much space the city takes up.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 AM

19 posts, read 85,314 times
Ya. I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh