Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm3685 View Post
Look at this house

Seems out of place in Bloomfield. The house that was there was destroyed by fire. ?

Doesn't look that terrible or out of place to me. The new house is the same shape, and about the same distance from the street as its neighborhoods. Its significantly smaller on the outside, but I bet the people who built it have a smaller family that the folks who built the neighboring homes.

In Bloomfield, the parking spaces and garage are probably welcomed by the neighbors, leaving more spaces on the street for them.

The only "defect" is that the building chose to use siding instead of brick- like the neighboring homes- but that might not have been economically feasible when they put it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
That one doesn't bother me. This house in Lower Lawrenceville however looks completely wrong in the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4663...DOiQ!2e0?hl=en
That's the personal residence of a very well known architect who has designed a lot of infill in Lawrenceville and East Liberty.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
I have one for worst. How about the 70s style split levels in Manchester? I grew up in one in south park but that's where they belong.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I have one for worst. How about the 70s style split levels in Manchester? I grew up in one in south park but that's where they belong.

Appearance wise, there are worse places for a split level than Manchester.

Manchester is fairly level for the most part and has wider streets than the central North Side or Deutschtown. If you were insistent on building a split level on the lower North Side- Manchester would be the most logical place to put it.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:14 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
They are sooooo out of place. Those same split levels were built on the Hill District, Lincoln, and Homewood as well. Those homes were built to give moderate income black families a slice of suburbia. They are so out of place. They are still well maintained for the most part. Just out of place.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:27 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
That's the personal residence of a very well known architect who has designed a lot of infill in Lawrenceville and East Liberty.
I just personally think it's completely out of place with the 19th century row houses all over Lawrenceville. I prefer the infill on Penn Ave and Butler St as I think they go along with the neighborhood a little better.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I just personally think it's completely out of place with the 19th century row houses all over Lawrenceville. I prefer the infill on Penn Ave and Butler St as I think they go along with the neighborhood a little better.
I don't disagree. It belongs on a hillside or a wooded area or a block mixed with cool modern infill.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
the infill in Garfield are all subsidized housing. there is no way they SHOULD be brick, when there is a suitable alternative. the only thing is that, in my humble opinion, siding is ugly, gets dirty, and does not age well.

brick may get dirty from weathering and pollutants, but it ages "well''.

a brick home says to me, "comfort", security, and your place away from whatever. siding is just a windscreen.

but - the Garfield ones arent all bad. at least they are new structures put and not non-profits!

some people who would not otherwise are getting cheap, new homes. this bodes well for the stability and prospering of this improving neighborhood. (one would hope!).

i actually like the rowhomes shown in this thread. the one in Lawrenceville isnt too bad - after a decade or two, with some trees in the frontage, it might not look so out of place.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
They are sooooo out of place. Those same split levels were built on the Hill District, Lincoln, and Homewood as well. Those homes were built to give moderate income black families a slice of suburbia. They are so out of place. They are still well maintained for the most part. Just out of place.
I love this comparison of two streets two blocks apart:

Liverpool St.

Pennsylvania Ave.

As wpipkins2 stated, those suburban-style houses on Pennsylvania are very much out of place.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
the infill in Garfield are all subsidized housing. there is no way they SHOULD be brick, when there is a suitable alternative. the only thing is that, in my humble opinion, siding is ugly, gets dirty, and does not age well.

brick may get dirty from weathering and pollutants, but it ages "well''.

a brick home says to me, "comfort", security, and your place away from whatever. siding is just a windscreen.

but - the Garfield ones arent all bad. at least they are new structures put and not non-profits!

some people who would not otherwise are getting cheap, new homes. this bodes well for the stability and prospering of this improving neighborhood. (one would hope!

i actually like the rowhomes shown in this thread. the one in Lawrenceville isnt too bad - after a decade or two, with some trees in the frontage, it might not look so out of place.
All of the Garfield houses are not subsidized. Some are market rate. The town homes on Columbo Street are spacious and come with bamboo floors, stainless appliances and granite countertops. You dont get much yard though. The setup is pretty nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh