Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:47 PM

21 posts, read 21,151 times

Advertisements

Hi all; long time lurker, first time caller...

My wife and I are potentially looking at a move to Pittsburgh for employment. We are really excited about this possibility. We are moving from Seattle, so housing stock in Pittsburgh looks (relatively) inexpensive from where we stand. We are accustomed to and like living in urban or inner suburban areas. Access to quality public education is also important to us: while we can afford and are not opposed to private education, we do not want to feel like our children must lottery into a magnet or attend a private school to ensure their safety and academic achievement.

Based on the first priority, we have been drawn to Lawrenceville and several of the east end neighborhoods: Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, Regent Square. However, from reading the forums and the little bit of research I've done elsewhere, it looks like we really want to be located within the Colfax/Allderdice feeder system. In other words, Squirrel Hill/Shadyside. Does this sound right? It seems like Fulton has decent test scores and that Obama is a huge improvement over Peabody, but I have no idea. Just trying to get a sense of what we should be looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,655 times
Joel,

If you are looking for good public schools within city limites, then Squirrel Hill/Shadyside are really your only options. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh's city schools are not known for being all that great. If you scrap the public schooling requirement, you'll find more neighborhoods that fit your stips.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
If you expand your horizons to include suburban areas, there are nice areas within the highly rated Fox Chapel school district which is adjacent to the east end. If you are working in the east, that could be a good area for you. If you'll be working downtown, various areas to the north and west are easy commutes and have good school districts.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 6,655 times
I_Like_Spam is right, however none of those areas are going to have anything approaching an urban feel that you also said you are looking for.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Aspinwall and Mt. Lebanon are usually mentioned as an alternative options that sacrifice a little in urban feel for a little improvement in schools. So I'll mention them.

Otherwise Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are your choices in the city. You can add Point Breeze as well although its not quite as urban as the others (which aren't THAT urban in their own respect). The magnet program is good enough that you can get away without living in the Colfax feeder if you really wanted to. Obama seems to be doing pretty well by the testing numbers, but just being realistic its 2/3 free or reduced lunch students suggesting its not drawing a whole lot of students from the professionals with children crowd. I can't endorse living in the city and using public schools for your kids unless you live in Colfax pattern because that's the only area I considered living myself.

Make sure you account for property taxes in your housing budget if you are buying.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:46 PM

632 posts, read 853,386 times
Agreed. As much as I like to cheer for South Hills neighborhoods like Brookline and Mt. Washington, the current school feeder pattern into Brashear High School is problematic. Especially since they've closed Langley High and imported that school's problems into Brashear.

Mt. Lebanon is a good nearby option with a highly ranked school system (though unfortunately some pretty steep property taxes). I am thinking though that your house and tax payments combined still may be less than you are paying in Seattle.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:48 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
I grew up in the Burgh, and visit Seattle frequently. I think SEA has the best downtown feel of any city I've ever been. Very accessable, lots going on, good food etc...Pittsburgh is a decent downtown I don't think its comparable to Seattle, that being said I would look at Squirrel Hill, Sewickly, and Shadyside, and Fox Chapel. Good schools, city neighborhoods, probably the closest things to SEA. Mt. Lebanon would be another nice option.

The good news is the weather change wont be too much of a factor.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:17 PM

21 posts, read 21,151 times
Thanks, everyone, that was really helpful.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Crafton is an old (built in the early 1900s) suburb about four miles west of Pittsburgh. Schools are good. Very family friendly. Might not be urban enough for you. I moved here from San Francisco last year and I love it. My kids are grown. I wish we had lived somewhere like this when they were young.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:20 AM

632 posts, read 853,386 times
Crafton is in the Carlynton school district. How is it doing these days?
In the past it was widely regarded as being not so hot.

Although Crafton has some absolutely gorgeous old houses and tree lined streets.
And I understand things there are getting much better now that the Broadhead Manor
housing project has been mostly demolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh