Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:21 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,777 times

Advertisements

Maybe Maryland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 01:05 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiegman View Post
I'm curious as to the 3 states. PA and WVA are obvious. The only other would be Ohio and that's really pushing it given the terrain and the curvature of the globe.

pgw
Maryland?

Old 08-22-2015, 04:17 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,758 times
It's kind of the opposite of this discussion, but might be of interest--I was up on Mt Washington today, specifically right next to the PWSA water tanks next to Grandview Park. From that vantage point, I could clearly see the 950 foot tall stack at Shippingport's Bruce Mansfield Power Station. That's better than 26 miles away...

Old 08-23-2015, 06:37 AM

37 posts, read 46,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Maryland?
From the west side of Chestnut Ridge where you can see the Pittsburgh skyline the eastern view is pretty much blocked. If you go to the east side of the ridge there are overlooks with expansive views but Laurel Ridge is to the east and it's taller than Chestnut and thus blocks any view into Maryland.

There is an overlook on the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail just southeast of the Big Savage Tunnel where you can see PA, Maryland, and West Virginia. Some say that you can also see Virginia from that point but it seems unlikely.

pgw

Old 02-27-2016, 05:53 PM

53 posts, read 136,049 times
You can see the US Steel and BNY Mellon Towers from the Fairview Cemetery on Route 982 in Kecksburg (between Mt. Pleasant and Latrobe).

Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Awesome pictures, jmd41280!

The skyline can be seen on a small bridge which carries White Cloud Road over Route 56 (Leechburg Road) in Allegheny Township a few miles before where Lower Burrell officially starts. Growing up, my friends always used to say you can see the skyline, but I never believed them. I always thought maybe they were just seeing New Kensington off in the distance. Sure enough, you can make out the Pittsburgh skyline in the right conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Pittsburgher View Post
New Kensington: peak of Beamer Avenue on down to the intersection of Beamer and Lincoln heading toward PA 780 away from Seventh Street Ext.
I just checked out both of these places today, and I was definitely able to see the skyline from each of them. Thanks for the suggestions!

White Cloud Rd.

Pittsburgh Skyline from near Lower Burrell, PA by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

Beamer Ave.

Pittsburgh Skyline from New Kensington, PA by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Bump...

I recently found some other locations where you can spot the skyline from far away. This view is on Claypike Road between Donegal and Kecksburg (as it summits Chestnut Ridge). You can barely make out the tops of US Steel and BNY Mellon, which are 35 miles away from this spot.

Pittsburgh skyline from Claypike Road in Acme, PA by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

Also, as you crest this hill on McDowell Lane just outside Canonsburg, you can spot US Steel and BNY Mellon (14 1/2 miles away from this point).

Distant view of Pittsburgh from near Canonsburg by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

Old 03-07-2018, 05:32 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
If anyone had ever been to the Top of the Triangle, you might remember the incredible view looking back towards these vantage points. I really wish a restaurant or an observation room of some type be put in there. What a shame it does not exist - with a carpet of urban life from one window, and rolling hills of green on the other.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd41280 View Post
Bump...

I recently found some other locations where you can spot the skyline from far away. This view is on Claypike Road between Donegal and Kecksburg (as it summits Chestnut Ridge). You can barely make out the tops of US Steel and BNY Mellon, which are 35 miles away from this spot.

Also, as you crest this hill on McDowell Lane just outside Canonsburg, you can spot US Steel and BNY Mellon (14 1/2 miles away from this point).
This is really interesting and looks like a fun thing to do. Just see how far away you can see Pittsburgh. So far what is the furtherest? Donegal? That is pretty damn far.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:55 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd41280 View Post
Bump...

Pittsburgh skyline from Claypike Road in Acme, PA by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
Isn't that another building a bit to the left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh