Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times

Advertisements

Parts of Penn Hills could be a good selection. Due to a crappy school system, homes in that township go for a discount compared to comparable homes elsewhere.

The Blackridge area is attractive and there are certainly many other quiet areas out there.

Its a short drive from Penn Hills down to Whole Foods and Trader Joes in East Liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 AM

93 posts, read 91,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Where should a single 40 year old woman with a budget of 150k look? I would like a two bedroom single family house close to stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes. I am working on getting a telecommuting position. I would like to be in a nice quiet suburban community.
Try the North Hills. The term 'North Hills' refers to a generic area; it encompasses McCandless, Ross, West View, Wexford, and perhaps a few other areas, and is something of the quintessential "suburb." I would suggest looking at McCandless and Ross. You will find tons of shopping, much of it concentrated on Mcknight Road/Perry Highway in Ross and McCandless, including a Whole Foods (on Perry Highway in Wexford) and a Trader Joes is under construction (also on Perry Highway, in McCandless). Residential areas are quiet once you get away from the shopping district.

It may not be relevant, but access to the city is easy, and the school districts (North Hills and North Allegheny) are quite good.

I would search in zip 15237 (McCandless and part of Ross) first, which puts you in the heart of everything. You should not have any problem finding a 2-3 bedroom in your price range. 15229 (part of Ross and West View) would be closer to the city, and would probably have more houses in your price range, and 15090 (Wexford) is out further from the city and likely more expensive.

FWIW, when my wife was mod 30s and single, she was looking for roughly the same things and ended up in Ross. She was quite pleased with the area and the house; the only real problem she had was meeting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh