Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM

146 posts, read 214,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Polish Hill doesn't have reliable cell phone service, so I need a landline if I want to be able to make a call from home without a 50/50 shot of dropping it midway through conversation. We're too far into the rural hinterlands of the East End, apparently, for cell phone providers to give a damn. There be dragons here!
You could look into a VOIP option, then you could have the benefits of a home phone and only pay for internet access. Something like Magic Jack, which has an unlimited local/US-Canada long distance plan for $30/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,144,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Polish Hill is a dump compared to Fox Chapel, Sewickley, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, etc. I'm just becoming irked that our rents are rising to the point where our median 1-BR rental rates will soon be comparable to such areas because developers aren't doing enough to bring new inventory to the marketplace.
Are you speaking specifically to Polish Hill not having enough new development, or generally that there isn't enough new development in the East End? I see a lot of new development going on in the East End, particularly within East Side formerly known as Penn Circle and BkSq 2.0. It's hard to say whether in a few years the trickle-down effect of these new rentals will suppress rents and/or force lazy landlords to upgrade their properties to collect adequate rent and remain profitable.

One more rent hike for you, and you might be paying more than my 1 br + den in Shadyside That said, my landlord is very adamate about no pets. I think that's the biggest limiting factor in your specific case. Affordable city living + pets is a difficult situation no matter where you are. I had similar issues in Louisville. I paid $1150 a month there to have a pet in a walkable neighborhood in what could be considered a dump that hadn't been updated in 30+ years. Don't worry, I didn't ditch the pet, I ditched the girl.

All this to say the only folks really experiencing a "housing crisis" in Pittsburgh are first time buyers and young professional renters like you and I. And that is really not any different than in many other cities. I've lately been faced with some pretty harsh reality that in order to afford to buy, I may not only have to leave my central East End cocoon, but I may actually have to *gasp* move to Stanton Heights or Morningside or even across the river. I'm willing to take on a traditional 80/20 mortgage to do so, though. Hopefully I can contribute positively to wherever I end up buying.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,685,344 times
I'm sensing an overarching theme here: people think the the East End is the only part of Pittsburgh worth living in but won't say it outright.

If that is truly how people feel than there's probably a bigger problem with the city as a whole.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I'm sensing an overarching theme here: people think the the East End is the only part of Pittsburgh worth living in but won't say it outright.

If that is truly how people feel than there's probably a bigger problem with the city as a whole.
Speaking for myself, I feel that way, and I am not ashamed to say that out loud.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Quote:

Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,797,669 times
Quote:

If you're not living in Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, or Garfield, then you're not living at all.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Speaking for myself, I feel that way, and I am not ashamed to say that out loud.
There's a big difference between believing the East End is the "only area worth living in" and the "only area that suits my tastes." I hope you think the latter and not the former.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 AM

I should amend my statement: The only part of the city I want to live in is the East End. I would almost rather move to a completely different city than leave the East End. Almost. I can't speak for what others think, but I don't find the prices there to be a crisis at all. There is a cost to live in the most desirable neighborhoods of any city. I just think of it as motivation to increase my salary.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
There's a big difference between believing the East End is the "only area worth living in" and the "only area that suits my tastes." I hope you think the latter and not the former.
ninja'd

My brother has been looking for places, and for his budget I've been encouraging areas of the North Side like Spring Hill and Troy Hill. I wouldn't recommend him somewhere within the city outside of the east end if I didn't think it was ever worth living outside of the east end.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,961,502 times
What is it about the bridges that make them such a barrier, anyway? The rivers aren't that wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh