Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:07 AM

33 posts, read 39,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Yes. And the increase in prices was inevitable.
When we moved here we knew we would be here for at least 6 six years, but possibly longer. The rental market here isn't great, so we decided we were going to spend a year saving to buy a house. For a solid year we budgeted every penny, didn't eat out, didn't buy coffees, no cable. We socialized with friends at home or at their place. We didn't exchange holiday/birthday gifts. Even with relatively low salaries (<$60,000) and student loans we were able to put together a down payment (not 20% but enough) and we bought a house in the low $100,000s on the Greenfield/Sq Hill border. The house was in great shape but needed cosmetic updates. So it can be done if you are really committed to homeownership. We have spent the past 3 years paying toward a mortgage, live in a nice community, and I can have a garden. if someone really wants to buy a house here they need to move because the prices aren't going to go down. But then again, the sacrifices often entailed in homeownership aren't for everyone.
Thanks for this-- it's inspiring. This is what my wife and I hope to do as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
The is more evidence that Pittsburgh metro homes didn't take a dive with the real estate bust than evidence of rapidly rising home prices. If you believe the figures as accurate, home prices have risen 10% in 7 years, not all that impressive really.
True, that is actually well below the rate of inflation. So in reality the fixed dollar value has gone down. but, these are based on Zillow, so take that into consideration.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:17 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I thought your claim was that the rising prices constituted "a crisis".

Nobody is disputing that Pittsburgh's housing prices are rising faster rate than most places in the country. Which is different from rising a larger amount that other cities, but that's a topic for another thread. A fast rate is what happens when you have a city where, until recently, houses could be bought at 1970s prices. A house that was $20K 5 years ago is now $80K. That indicates a fast rate of recent growth. It indicates new residents are moving into a city. It probably indicates economic recovery. It also probably indicates that long vacant properties will now start being fixed up and put on sale. What it does not indicate is "a crisis."

I don't see people disputing your observations, they dispute your conclusions.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I do think Pittsburgh should guard against it becoming a crisis by encouraging job growth, employers offering competitive salaries, more blue collar jobs, etc. For now I think it is a strong recovery, a trend that has been going on for a while in this area. My definition of a crisis is where someone with a median income cannot afford to buy or rent within a 25 mile radius of the city. And it's not a whole lot better within a 50 mile radius. If you can't afford the neighborhood you want and there are many lower priced, safe alternatives, that's being stubborn, not a crisis. Either figure out a way to increase your income or compromise on the neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:27 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. I do think Pittsburgh should guard against it becoming a crisis by encouraging job growth, employers offering competitive salaries, more blue collar jobs, etc. For now I think it is a strong recovery, a trend that has been going on for a while in this area. My definition of a crisis is where someone with a median income cannot afford to buy or rent within a 25 mile radius of the city. And it's not a whole lot better within a 50 mile radius. If you can't afford the neighborhood you want and there are many lower priced, safe alternatives, that's being stubborn, not a crisis. Either figure out a way to increase your income or compromise on the neighborhood.
This. We are so far away from the word "crisis" it's ridiculous.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Thanks, glad I made sense. I wrote that at 4 a.m. which is not when I do my best writing. If it sounded a little groggy, that's why.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
It seems to me this is a function of them starting so cheap to begin with.
Yup.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
This. We are so far away from the word "crisis" it's ridiculous.
No kidding. I was just on Zillow and took a look at the map with all the homes for sale. There are so many homes for sale, it would take forever to get through them all. I also wasn't that impressed with the values. Still very cheap around here. Heck you can even buy a home in Aspinwall for $150K. Pittsburgh might be on the rise, but it is still dirt cheap.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 AM

632 posts, read 853,042 times
They've been depressed since the 1970's. Like taking the pressure off of a compressed spring.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
The is more evidence that Pittsburgh metro homes didn't take a dive with the real estate bust than evidence of rapidly rising home prices. If you believe the figures as accurate, home prices have risen 10% in 7 years, not all that impressive really.
I think prices didn't drop then b/c they were already so low to begin with.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Since house prices rose at a lower rate then inflation does that make then technically 'cheaper' now then in 2004?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh