U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 PM
 
850 posts, read 1,343,373 times
Reputation: 922

Advertisements

New State of the Air rankings from the American Lung Association.

#6 worst in 2/3 of the categories (and #1 area outside of California). Also #21 in Ozone.

I know the air quality is slowly improving, but this shows how much more work there is to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2014, 01:30 PM
 
Location: ɥbɹnqsʇʇıd
4,601 posts, read 5,603,975 times
Reputation: 3508
In b4 "dat Clairton monitor skews everythinggggg". Nope, not buying it. We still have a pollution problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,754 posts, read 2,237,677 times
Reputation: 1659
We definitely have a lot of work to do. The supreme court's EPA decision should really help us. On top of that, we used to be #1 on this ranking – like as of last year I believe. So we're getting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,771 posts, read 6,967,531 times
Reputation: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
In b4 "dat Clairton monitor skews everythinggggg". Nope, not buying it. We still have a pollution problem.
There is a pollution issue (like in most urban areas) but it is well known that monitor has significantly high air pollution than any other air monitor in the area. I've heard before Pittsburgh wouldn't even be in the top 20 for air pollution nationwide if the ALA used a different air monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 AM
 
419 posts, read 433,612 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There is a pollution issue (like in most urban areas) but it is well known that monitor has significantly high air pollution than any other air monitor in the area. I've heard before Pittsburgh wouldn't even be in the top 20 for air pollution nationwide if the ALA used a different air monitor.
Yeah I think you are right. The American Lung Association is completely wrong, just like the National Weather Service. Always something wrong with their their recordings and methodology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 AM
 
5,889 posts, read 5,493,163 times
Reputation: 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Yeah I think you are right. The American Lung Association is completely wrong, just like the National Weather Service. Always something wrong with their their recordings and methodology.
He's not saying the they're wrong or that the monitor is wrong either but rather it's location skews reality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Northeast Suburbs of PITTSBURGH
3,479 posts, read 3,298,735 times
Reputation: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
He's not saying the they're wrong or that the monitor is wrong either but rather it's location skews reality
Skew you! Sorry couldn't resist! We all know, he wants things to be worse than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 PM
 
6 posts, read 6,003 times
Reputation: 14
I don't understand why Pittsburgh pollution is still this bad. Most of the steel mills closed thirty years ago. Where does it come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,771 posts, read 6,967,531 times
Reputation: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedextremely View Post
I don't understand why Pittsburgh pollution is still this bad. Most of the steel mills closed thirty years ago. Where does it come from?
The Midwest and the many valleys keep air in longer than in flat areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 AM
 
1,643 posts, read 1,670,732 times
Reputation: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedextremely View Post
I don't understand why Pittsburgh pollution is still this bad. Most of the steel mills closed thirty years ago. Where does it come from?
Friggin OHIO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top