Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

So after looking for places with rent I can afford and that are close to work in case I need to walk (your traffic is insane and I don't want to drive up/down hilly roads to get to work in the winter), I have come across East Liberty as a place I can afford.

The problem is when I drove through East Liberty it seemed a bit umm...not-so-nice. Now, coming from Chicago, East Liberty ain't got nothing on our South Side (which I am from), but at the same time, I don't want to really go from one ghetto to another (and in my white boy lack of street cred, the South Side was nicer when I was growing up).

Is East Liberty all that bad? I mean, can I walk through E. Lib without much trouble or should I really just avoid it altogether? It seemed like a diverse neighborhood and where I come from, diverse neighborhoods are usually safe. I will be working on Penn ave near Shadyside Ave and THAT neighborhood seems fine (is that still Shadyside?) but I heard that when it comes to E. Lib one must be careful. BUT, I also know that I have walked through many a Chicago neighborhood and the worst thing that happened to me in my whole life was theft (and that was in a REALLY bad area that makes E. Lib look like McMansions). So, is it bad?

BTW, I can't afford Shadyside at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The problem is when I drove through East Liberty it seemed a bit umm...not-so-nice. Now, coming from Chicago, East Liberty ain't got nothing on our South Side (which I am from), but at the same time, I don't want to really go from one ghetto to another (and in my white boy lack of street cred, the South Side was nicer when I was growing up).
If you think East Liberty is ghetto, you should visit our real ghetto. I'm not saying East Liberty is a great place, but it should be fine for someone with street smarts who claims to live in a more dangerous neighborhood in Chicago.

Quote:
I will be working on Penn ave near Shadyside Ave and THAT neighborhood seems fine (is that still Shadyside?)
It depends on which side of Penn Avenue your employer is located. Penn Avenue and Shady Avenue is the border of Shadyside and East Liberty. Penn Avenue and East Liberty Boulevard is the border of Shadyside and Larimer. I consider Larimer more dangerous than East Liberty. If it is officially in Shadyside, it's right on the edge near East Liberty and Larimer.

Quote:
but I heard that when it comes to E. Lib one must be careful. BUT, I also know that I have walked through many a Chicago neighborhood and the worst thing that happened to me in my whole life was theft (and that was in a REALLY bad area that makes E. Lib look like McMansions). So, is it bad?
Of course you should be careful, but you're going to have to walk through and near less desirable neighborhoods wherever you live if you plan to walk due to the location of where you will be working. For example, if you lived in Highland Park or Friendship, you'd still have to walk through East Liberty. If this really concerns you, you might want to reconsider your fear of driving in Pittsburgh snow. That area from East Liberty to Shadyside is very flat so I'm not sure why you're worried about driving on hills to work in the winter if you live in East Liberty.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Where at in east liberty is it - I ask because realty & rental companies here can be really creative in identifying what neighborhood the property is in.

East Liberty is more or less ok, but it's next too some really really bad areas that some listings also like to identify as 'east liberty'

Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
If you're from Chicago, you'll have no problems. I walk through East Liberty daily, and the neighborhood is quickly on the ups. the Ace Hotel is opening there. Not exactly dangerous turf. lol

Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
East Liberty is more or less ok, but it's next too some really really bad areas that some listings also like to identify as 'east liberty'

Yeah, this would be the one caveat here.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 PM

697 posts, read 778,076 times
You should also do a search for East Liberty on this forum. Seems like a lot of interest from new posters looking in that area so already some good insight available.
Penn Ave gets congested at rush hour but it isn't bad on non peak times.
Have your coworkers to be suggested any specific properties or areas within East Lib?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,673 times
You cannot really be from Chicago if you think East Liberty is "ghetto", you think the traffic here is terrible, you are worried about air quality here, and you are afraid to drive in snow.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
I live in east liberty and enjoy it. I like 98% of my neighbors. I dislike some people from other blocks simply because they leave garbage out but I haven't felt unsafe here in years. I walk around at various times of the day.

It isn't the suburbs and it isn't Sq Hill, but it also doesn't have a Sq Hill price tag.

Feel free to PM me with specific blocks if you want my honest opinion of which is better and which is safer.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I thought you lived in Highland Park, Selltheburgh.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:05 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
I live in the border of Stanton heights and East lib. Really i only question a few streets in east liberty from my personal opinion, but overall the area(to me) is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh