Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 4,814 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving from the west coast to Pittsburgh. I will work in downtown andmy husband will work in Allegheny General Hospital. We are looking for anapartment that is close to both areas. We can pay up to $1,700 per month. Sinceit is our first time in Pittsburgh, I am concerned about where to rent anapartment. We want to stay in a safeneighborhood and also have parking spaces. Any suggestions? Would appreciate any honest opinion.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,507,952 times
With those two commutes, I would either look downtown or in the Mexican War Streets. Finding a place in the Mexican War Streets with parking might be tough. Both are urban areas. So, if you want a more suburban feel these recommendations won't work for you. The safe choice is always Shadyside since it is home to a lot of more affluent younger transplants. Can take the busway to downtown and a reasonable commute to Allegheny General.

I am out of the loop regarding rents. So, I am not sure how much or how little 1700. Parking would be an additional cost for some downtown apartments.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:24 AM

14,176 posts, read 22,669,508 times
There are some apartments in downtown Pittsburgh, but they're pretty fully occupied. Also check out the Strip District, which is on the south bank of the Allegheny River immediately upriver from downtown. Check out the "Mexican War Streets" area of the North Side too.

The good news is, since you and your husband don't work too far apart, you can find an apartment that's close to both workplaces.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,950,068 times
The Cork Factory apartments are close to downtown and Allegheny General. They are in a converted cork factory (of course) and are very popular. Don't know if there are any vacancies, since the apartment market is pretty tight. Also the Heinz Lofts in (again) a converted Heinz food plant are right across the river from the Cork Factory. There are many new apartments right downtown, and you should be able to get at least a one-bedroom for about $1,700.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,566,640 times
Really just depends what you are looking for and what is your definition of close. Also depends on how both of you plan to commute which may have a lot to do with whether you have parking or not. You can really live a lot of places.

Geeo's suggestions are two large managed fairly upscale apartment buildings. Unfortunately, looks like your max budget will get you 800ish sq ft 1 bed 1 bath. Hard to believe rent has gotten that expensive... but guess it has.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM

29,706 posts, read 34,252,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharona26 View Post
Hi,

We are moving from the west coast to Pittsburgh. I will work in downtown andmy husband will work in Allegheny General Hospital. We are looking for anapartment that is close to both areas. We can pay up to $1,700 per month. Sinceit is our first time in Pittsburgh, I am concerned about where to rent anapartment. We want to stay in a safeneighborhood and also have parking spaces. Any suggestions? Would appreciate any honest opinion.

Thanks
Are you looking for more city or suburb? Is an older building okay, or do you prefer new?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:51 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,756,553 times
This is a very good thread to check out if you are interested in living downtown :

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...-friendly.html

Old 05-01-2014, 04:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,232,194 times
I'd look at the newer apartment complex at the base of Anderson St., the Morgan Apts. They have parking right on the premises, and its a pleasant stroll to work for both of you- through the park to AGH or across the bridge to town. Noted Pittsburgher Henry Clay Frick's home was on that site on Anderson St. when he worked at selling womens' clothes town in the 1860's and he walked to work every day- before he switched careers and pursued a career as a steel and cool tycoon.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Thank you all for your great suggestions.

We are both planning to drive to work. What are the good neighborhoods around downtown that are safe but not as expensive as downtown? What areas we should not look?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are you looking for more city or suburb? Is an older building okay, or do you prefer new?
We are looking for new apartments in the city. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh