Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM

47 posts, read 67,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There is absolutely nothing in that area when it comes to businesses. There may still be a little corner store in nearby West Oakland - I can't remember if it is abandoned or not. It's something like a 15-minute walk from there to the business district in the heart of Oakland.

I really don't see anything desirable about the apartment complex for a CMU graduate student, unless you want to be assured off-street parking. But since you said in another thread you currently don't have a car, I don't see any reason why you'd need that right away. Just move to an apartment with good amenities within walking distance and better bus service.

If you were an undergrad at Carlow, or even Pitt, I'd say it would maybe make sense, because Oak Hill is a lot closer to those campuses. But CMU'S Core campus is way on the other side of Oakland (technically in Squirrel Hill) - not nearby at all.
I understand, however my husband will be attending CMU, but I will be going to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh so this is pretty much in the middle between both places. We feel it's not fair to be right next to his school but so far away from mine, so this is also a reason why we don't need to be right on CMU.

You talked about the bus service, when we visited they told us it was ok in Oak Hills with a bus going right through our front door, is this not true? Is the bus service actually bad? We plan on buying a car but from the research I'm doing it might take a couple of months since we need to get our license first.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM

47 posts, read 67,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yes, the intersection of Terrace and Allequippa streets are very safe as Uptown stated it's mostly Pitt Students/Employees and the Elderly. Oak Hill is 99.9% residential, all Amenties would be had down in Oakland. Its sole Amenity is the closeness to Central Oakland.
Thank you so much! I don't think that will be too much trouble (hopefully!)

Old 05-08-2014, 09:20 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialestate View Post
I understand, however my husband will be attending CMU, but I will be going to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh so this is pretty much in the middle between both places. We feel it's not fair to be right next to his school but so far away from mine, so this is also a reason why we don't need to be right on CMU.
I would agree if you guys were talking about say living in the suburbs, and picking a house in between two jobs so you could split the distance for commutes. But you are talking about living in the city, and there's a possibility of one of you (probably your husband, but possibly you) being able to essentially walk to work when the weather nice. Besides that, there are many, many buses (like the 71s or 61s) which pass through Oakland on the way to downtown, so anywhere you pick where he can get to CMU most likely you'll be able to get to downtown. That's before even considering sacrificing your quality of life living in an area with no amenities so you can hypothetically shave 10 minutes off your morning bus commute.

Quote:
You talked about the bus service, when we visited they told us it was ok in Oak Hills with a bus going right through our front door, is this not true? Is the bus service actually bad? We plan on buying a car but from the research I'm doing it might take a couple of months since we need to get our license first.
According to Google, the 81/83 which stops around Oak Hill is a waste of your time. Certainly it's a circuitous route. If you picked it up at the complex, it would detour into South Side before going anywhere near CMU. The 83's route inbound goes all around the Hill District, and would be horribly slow, although the 81 might work. Still, Google Transit suggests the best thing for both of you is to walk down to the bottom of the hill to the nearest stops for the 71s and 61s on Fifth/Forbes.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Previously, you said it was most important to be near CMU.

Quote:
According to Google, the 81/83 which stops around Oak Hill is a waste of your time. Certainly it's a circuitous route. If you picked it up at the complex, it would detour into South Side before going anywhere near CMU. The 83's route inbound goes all around the Hill District, and would be horribly slow, although the 81 might work. Still, Google Transit suggests the best thing for both of you is to walk down to the bottom of the hill to the nearest stops for the 71s and 61s on Fifth/Forbes.
She'll get downtown faster living in Squirrel Hill near CMU than taking the bus that stops at Oak Hill. Add the walk time down to Oakland to catch a faster bus, and she'd still not be getting to town faster than if she lived in Squirrel Hill or especially an apartment building in Oakland.

She seems bound and determined to live at Oak Hill though.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times
Your husband should take advantage of CMU's Housing Registry for assistance in your search:
Housing Registry-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
I would agree if you guys were talking about say living in the suburbs, and picking a house in between two jobs so you could split the distance for commutes. But you are talking about living in the city, and there's a possibility of one of you (probably your husband, but possibly you) being able to essentially walk to work when the weather nice. Besides that, there are many, many buses (like the 71s or 61s) which pass through Oakland on the way to downtown, so anywhere you pick where he can get to CMU most likely you'll be able to get to downtown. That's before even considering sacrificing your quality of life living in an area with no amenities so you can hypothetically shave 10 minutes off your morning bus commute.

The 81/83 To the South Side is Outbound and to Downtown is the inbound... It's not a circle as the buses layover and go to/from the Yard from the South Side Wharton SQ terminal... They get nowhere close to CMU on the Outbound run, 5th and Darrah is closest and that would require a Transfer to either a Forbes Av Bus or the 71B/71D directly across Fifth

When weather is nice its faster to walk down Robinson to Fifth directly and take an Outbound 71B/71D up Fifth to Moorewood and walk over to CMU.

Going Downtown again Faster to walk down Robinson and Catch a 61/71 bus into town. the 81/83 are very windy through the Hill.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,494 times
Maybe you should look in the South Side, especially the eastern side of it (between 18th & 28th). Your husband could take the 54 (covers Carson St between 18th-22nd Streets) or 75 (covers Carson St between 23rd-28th Streets) to Oakland.

You could take the 51 (covers Carson St between 1st-18th Streets) or 48 (covers Carson St between 1st-26th Streets) to Downtown.

Last edited by TheYO; 05-08-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh