Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 3,896 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been lurking around this forum for a while and the posts have been a great help. My husband, a friend and I are moving from North NJ to Pittsburgh for either July 1 or August 1 (or sometime in between those dates if we can find it). We're looking for any apartment/ neighborhood suggestions that might be good for our situation.

We are all in our late 20s and my husband will be transferring his job which is by Bakery Square. My friend and I will have to find new jobs when we get there.

We have one car and I am the only one that currently drives, although my husband plans on getting his license when we move. Driving is just not an option for him now, but he's fine with taking a bus. Right now his commute is 30-45 min so under/around that would be key.

We like going punk shows and have checked out a new show/venue each time we've visited (and we were not disappointed). My husband is from Ireland and he likes the idea of being able to pop into a local bar now and then. A location that can accommodate both would be awesome.

We are looking for a 2 bedroom for at most $900 per month. The only thing that's a deal breaker is I need off-street parking (not a garage per say but at least a spot) or it would have to be cheap enough that we could roll renting a parking space into the $900. We don't need anything fancy (fridge and stove are our top amenities) and honestly could care less if the apartment is 'outdated'. While we are all street smart, I don't really want to worry about getting broken into all the time.

We were originally thinking of the North side (Bellevue, Brighton Heights) or Millvale/ Sharpsburg to save some money, but my husband is worried that we will be too far from the action to make friends. I have a small amount of family in Mt. Lebanon and while it is really nice, we both agree we don't really want to live out in that area to start with.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as although I've visited more times than I can count, it wasn't until the 2-3 times that I actually started to pay attention to neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Off street parking is your main problem. Is there a particular reason you insist on it?

Millvale is just across the bridge from Lawrenceville. It's not farther from the action than Greenfield.

Google says the Smiling Moose in South Side is Pittsburgh's best punk bar. If you want to live where you can pop into a neighborhood punk bar, South Side would be it. Here's a 2 bedroom for $850 but no off street parking. Someone will have to help you figure out if your husband can commute to Bakery Square from there.

Your budget works for a 2 bedroom in many areas of the East End. I see apartments on Craig's List for under $900 in Bloomfield, Morningside, Friendship, Regent Square, Squirrel Hill, Greenfield, etc. Your off street parking is your main problem. You won't know about that until you go look at places. Trying to find a whole house to rent might provide you with somewhere to park off street. That's more likely in Greenfield, maybe Morningside. Seriously reconsider Millvale too.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
Your husband might want to consider learning to drive before he gets here. I wouldn't want to be a student driver in Pittsburgh's hilly terrain.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I wouldn't want to be a student driver in Pittsburgh's hilly terrain.
Every single Pittsburgher learns to drive on Pittsburgh's hilly terrain. It's best to learn here. People who move here from flat regions are intimidated. People who learn to drive here aren't.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM

367 posts, read 622,054 times
Look at a duplex, many have a garage. I lived in Bloomfield in the top of a duplex, 2 bed, 2 bath w/garage for $650/month, and it was a very nice place.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
I'd suggest Friendship. Lots of big subdivided Victorian houses which have off-street parking available via the rear alley. Though frankly, some of the cheaper rental units in Highland Park would work just as well for this purpose.

I'm guessing as to punk shows they'd be more into the Mr. Roboto Project than the Smiling Moose.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:14 PM

30 posts, read 38,531 times
This aint North Jersey, so you'll definitely find a 2-bdr. house or apt. for under $900 in Bellevue or Millvale since those arent really upscale neighborhoods. You're prolly gonna have better luck finding a house with a garage since most condos with attached garage are found in the more expensive developments where rent for a 2-bdr. could exceed $1000. I just moved out of a nice 2-bdr. duplex house in North Hills (West View, PA) for only $650 a month and I had an attached garage with remote opener (a must have for those long frigid winters in the Burgh).

As far as your husband learning to drive --- I would take the advice of others and go to "flatter" areas of Pittsburgh like up north in Cranberry Twp. That way, he can pull in a large plaza parking lot and practice K-turns and parallel parking for the PA driver exam. There are also lots of low-traffic country roads up there where he can get the hang of driving a car. Hell, that's prolly a good way to fall in love with rural PA, since you'll be seeing plenty of the city life if you live closer to downtown.

Trying to learn to drive in the crowded inner neighborhoods of Pgh is just stupid and silly and just ignore anyone who advises you to do that. If you need to borrow a car, people are quite friendly in the Burgh and you shouldnt have any problem finding a loaner for the weekend. Just walk into any bar on the South Side and tell them you are huge Steeler fans and you love drinking Iron City Beer and I guarantee you'll have about 10 Burgh friends within 30 min. flat.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofy-88 View Post
As far as your husband learning to drive --- I would take the advice of others and go to "flatter" areas of Pittsburgh like up north in Cranberry Twp. That way, he can pull in a large plaza parking lot and practice K-turns and parallel parking for the PA driver exam. There are also lots of low-traffic country roads up there where he can get the hang of driving a car. Hell, that's prolly a good way to fall in love with rural PA, since you'll be seeing plenty of the city life if you live closer to downtown.

Trying to learn to drive in the crowded inner neighborhoods of Pgh is just stupid and silly and just ignore anyone who advises you to do that.
I didn't advice to learn in crowded inner neighborhoods of Pittsburgh. I advised to learn on Pittsburgh's hilly terrain instead of learning in NEW JERSEY.

Quote:
If you need to borrow a car, people are quite friendly in the Burgh and you shouldnt have any problem finding a loaner for the weekend. Just walk into any bar on the South Side and tell them you are huge Steeler fans and you love drinking Iron City Beer and I guarantee you'll have about 10 Burgh friends within 30 min. flat.
This is downright bullsh*t and obvious you will become acquainted with Yac soon if you aren't already.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 PM

697 posts, read 778,076 times
Quote:

Trying to learn to drive in the crowded inner neighborhoods of Pgh is just stupid and silly and just ignore anyone who advises you to do that. If you need to borrow a car, people are quite friendly in the Burgh and you shouldnt have any problem finding a loaner for the weekend. Just walk into any bar on the South Side and tell them you are huge Steeler fans and you love drinking Iron City Beer and I guarantee you'll have about 10 Burgh friends within 30 min. flat.
Hey, why don't you lend them your car to learn to drive. Just to be a Burgh friend. Or you could barter and get those wooden shelves you covet. Prolly a match made in heaven!

Old 05-10-2014, 09:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
You can make friends anywhere in the Pittsburgh area, confining yourself to east end locations when you can only spend $900 per month for a place including parking is going to make your quest more difficult than it need be.

Buses from all over the east go through East Liberty- you could probably find a lot more house for less money including parking out in Penn Hills and have a single bus for work. Yes, its a crappy school district and probably a bad investment- but you don't have kids in school and are renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh