Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,603 times

Advertisements

Moving to Pittsburgh for the summer + beginning of September with family for a job. I didn't expect that it would be so hard to find short-term stay in Pittsburgh. Most of offers are either expense corporate apartments or student-shared bedroom sublets for May-August. A bit disappointed already.
I'm looking for something either close to downtown or within 20 minutes ride on public transportation. I can't bring my car and furniture, so want something with furniture and utensils. What sources apart from craiglslist and airbnb would you recommend to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM

697 posts, read 777,796 times
What insight did your employer or new coworkers provide? Many will have suggestions if they are offering a temporary work arrangement. Some apartment complexes may have short term leases. I would have suggested craigslist and air bnb...

Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
What insight did your employer or new coworkers provide? Many will have suggestions if they are offering a temporary work arrangement. Some apartment complexes may have short term leases. I would have suggested craigslist and air bnb...
the only insight the employer does provide is few hundred bucks allowance...

Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
What's your budget?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,510 times
Corporate apartments were made for people like you, but if your budget doesn't extend to that, it sounds like you need to sublet an apartment that would otherwise be unoccupied during the summer. Those are tricky to find anywhere, because a) landlords often don't allow subleases; and b) its availability would have to coincide with your need.

There are some apartment communities here that offer short-term leases at a slightly higher monthly rent, but I don't believe that the units would be furnished. (You could buy some inexpensive furnishings at IKEA, and take it with you, or sell it on craigslist before you go.) These also wouldn't be located twenty minutes from downtown via public transportation, as they are large suburban complexes. I don't have the brochures at hand right now, but I can provide the names tomorrow if you are interested.

Does the employer regularly engage persons for short-term assignments? Are they able to offer you any suggestions for finding accommodation?

You might inquire at the local universities about posting a notice in their housing office. Academics often travel a great deal during the summer, and might leave an empty house behind.

Is it necessary that you bring your family, or can you come alone and live at an extended-stay hotel? That would provide a place to cook and sleep, and have housekeeping service, but it wouldn't be ideal for children.

I wish I could be more helpful. I've been in your situation, and was able to lease a furnished apartment for three months, because I lucked out and found an owner who lived abroad and occasionally used the apartment so did not want a long-term tenant. Unfortunately, that was in another state.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Most people wouldn't uproot their family for 3 months to work elsewhere temporarily. We moved around a lot early in my father's career but our moves were always for permanent positions. The shortest we ever lived anywhere was overseas and each time was for a year. The company provided us with houses overseas.

Once when my father was transferred (to NC), we had to live in a motel for 4 months while we waited for our new house to close because there were no other housing options in that area. The company paid for the motel. Two adults, four kids, and two dogs living in two adjoining motel rooms. I'm not sure how my parents felt about it, but we kids had a blast.

The next time we transferred (permanently to Pittsburgh), mother and kids stayed a few months in West Virginia at her parent's house while we waited for construction to be completed on our house in Pittsburgh. My father stayed in a hotel and the company paid for it. I'm guessing that's a clue that my mother didn't want to live in a motel room again. Either way, we kids enjoyed ourselves then too.

What are you going to do with your house back where you live? A few hundred dollars a month doesn't allow you to pay for housing here and maintain your permanent residence. Your employer isn't paying you enough to do this. Employees usually expense hotel rooms and meals when they have to work away from home.

I'm not judging you. I'm tossing some ideas you may not have considered because what you're planning is fairly unstable for a family when it's just a temporary gig. If you're not keeping your permanent residence, where are you going to live when the three months is up? If you're keeping your current home, you're actually losing money by coming here if the employer isn't paying your living expenses.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:55 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmat View Post
the only insight the employer does provide is few hundred bucks allowance...
Let them know how much trouble you're having finding a suitable place on that budget. Simply frame it as asking for assistance with the search, not just asking for more money.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:47 PM

solved my problem. here're the insights
1. there's a plenty of furnished rooms and apartments offered for visiting professionals all over the city, but they are pricey. separate apartment will cost ca $2000+ per month somewhere in Shadyside, and over $3000 in the downtown
2. all landlords of apartment houses in the downtown do not allow sublease, but owners of real estate near campuses do allow.
3. universities open in mid-August and finding something beyond 15th of Aug is challenging
4. all Airbnb options are significantly overpriced and can be compared to 1. but less fancy
5. craigslist is the best resource so far
6. good options disappear very quickly, really within 1 day

What helped me
1. graduate students start later, I've got two good variants from graduate students, one of which I eventually chose
2. even if an apartment does not fully fit your requirements (ends early or is not available for short-term lease) - still reach out to agents/tenants and ask, people are much more flexible when you talk to them
3. if an apartment is only offered for long-term lease, but it does not focus on students so there is no fire deal then try offer some premium for short-term stay. chances exist that the owner would be happy to get a premium right now and postpone the problem with no less chance of leasing it out later
4. due to 6. constant monitor the craigslist.
5. be flexible. I was looking for something until 6th of Sep. it was much easier to find something until end of Aug and move to a room/hotel/corporate suite for 1 week in September than waiting for the ideal apartment

Hope this will help other people looking for short-term lease.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
Valleyfield Apartments For Rent in Bridgeville, PA - Mobile ForRent.com

A one time they had short term rentals. My dad had people move there for his work.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,510 times
I'm glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your summer in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh