Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just read an article today in the Denver Post about this statistic. While miles driven per capita may be going down, the increase in population still makes for more miles driven.
I don't know about Denver specifically, but overall miles per driven in the U.S. is down. Not down nearly as much as per capita miles, but still down. If you look on the chart, you'll see that not even during the 1970s oil shocks did it stay down for so long.

https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/...emilesusa.html
Maybe, but not in every specific area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Maybe, but not in every specific area.
My point is that nationally, increasing population and decreasing miles driven are not at all incompatible. Because you seemed to be arguing that they were.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
My point is that nationally, increasing population and decreasing miles driven are not at all incompatible. Because you seemed to be arguing that they were.
No, I was pointing out that classic principal of statistics; that they don't apply to every situation. If Pittsburgh's (or any city's) population were to increase significantly, the miles driven there would increase, even if the per-capita miles driven and the total miles driven in the US goes down. A larger share of those miles would be in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
No, I was pointing out that classic principal of statistics; that they don't apply to every situation. If Pittsburgh's (or any city's) population were to increase significantly, the miles driven there would increase, even if the per-capita miles driven and the total miles driven in the US goes down. A larger share of those miles would be in Pittsburgh.
That would require Pittsburgh's population to grow above the rate of population growth for the U.S. overall for a sustained period of time. That would be very surprising, even to people who expect that the decline has bottomed out.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
That would require Pittsburgh's population to grow above the rate of population growth for the U.S. overall for a sustained period of time. That would be very surprising, even to people who expect that the decline has bottomed out.
The above scenario is unlikely, yes. However, something else could cause Pittsburghers to drive more miles than the national average. I don't know what that would be, just sayin'. And from what I'm reading, the roadways are inadequate for the traffic that is there now.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
And from what I'm reading, the roadways are inadequate for the traffic that is there now.
That's what people say, but I don't think the problems bad enough to be worth anything like the cost of a beltway. The average one-way commute to work in the U.S. is 25.5 minutes.

Megacommuters: 600,000 in U.S. Travel 90 Minutes and 50 Miles to Work, and 10.8 Million Travel an Hour Each Way, Census Bureau Reports - American Community Survey (ACS) - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

If you look here, you'll see Pittsburgh is below that.

Pittsburgh (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 05-19-2014, 10:20 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,371 times
Below is a link to a great, informative website about this area's cancelled expressways through the years. These were mainly propsed in the 60's and seems like ideas today are similar to proposed ideas from 50 years ago. The page includes a map from 1980 about what our area would like it with if these expressways had been built. You can tell there is a definite beltway: Pittsburgh Highways:* Pittsburgh's Cancelled Expressways

I have spent hours reading everything on that website. They also include histories for all the PAT Busways. Interesting that Edgewood was holding up progress the Wilkinsburg-Swissvale extension.

This one is interesting to me: http://pittsburgh.pahighways.com/exp...xpressway.html

The expressway would have ran from the PA Turnpike interchange in Irwin/Route 30 to I-79. The routing would be through the Mon Valley area and across the South Hills communities. This would have solved the problem that exists today no good east-west corridor across southern Allegheny county.

Last edited by captainmidnight; 05-19-2014 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 10:28 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,095 times
Quote:
That's what people say, but I don't think the problems bad enough to be worth anything like the cost of a beltway. The average one-way commute to work in the U.S. is 25.5 minutes.

Megacommuters: 600,000 in U.S. Travel 90 Minutes and 50 Miles to Work, and 10.8 Million Travel an Hour Each Way, Census Bureau Reports - American Community Survey (ACS) - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

If you look here, you'll see Pittsburgh is below that.

Pittsburgh (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Just to play devil's advocate, the commuting time statistic given there includes all methods of commuting. I don't know that that number is totally relevant to the question of whether the current highway infrastructure here is adequate for the traffic demand.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
it's my understanding that the initial conception of the interstate highway system was that it would NOT have highways through cities but that all highways would travel to or around them. I've always been curious how we got from that to the devastating urban highways that actually did get built

Old 05-19-2014, 12:34 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's my understanding that the initial conception of the interstate highway system was that it would NOT have highways through cities but that all highways would travel to or around them. I've always been curious how we got from that to the devastating urban highways that actually did get built
The influence of Robert Moses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh